Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Summer Canning 2015 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=513968)

The Tickle Momster 07-31-2015 08:25 PM

Re: Summer Canning 2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by kklibrarian (Post 5936114)
The big commercially grown melons (especially the little seedless melons) seem to have almost no rind anymore. We usually get home grown melons or melons from DH's work (he's a farm manager at a living history farm). Sometimes we buy them from a roadside stand. We live near the watermelon capital of Texas. :yum

That makes sense. :yes I'm going to have to look harder.

CelticJourney 09-17-2015 01:28 PM

oh.....help.... We went to a farmer's market Monday and dh was looking at the muscadine grapes. There was a big basket and I said, 'oh, we can get those and I'll make a butter!' Now I realize I don't have a good idea how to do that :nails Do I need to get the seeds out? Remove peals or just put in the food processor? Any suggestions?

knitlove 09-17-2015 02:20 PM

I would probably run them through a food mill to remove skins and sends.

kklibrarian 09-19-2015 01:06 PM

I'm late to answering this question, but I'll try. Muscadine skins are very thick and full of tannins and other yucky things. The seed is huge and actually somewhat oily in the grape as well. I have never successfully made anything with them other than juicing them for jelly. That being said, muscadine jelly is one of the best things in the world to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with. :yum

2sunshines 09-19-2015 02:55 PM

I've canned in the past, but honestly have found that just freezing is so much easier. :shifty So that's what I do for the most part. :yes

I have a bunch of frozen grapes from the past. I thought the kids would eat them frozen during the summer but they haven't really taken to it. Is there anything else I can do with them? I hate the just throw them away. :think They are seedless. How hard is it to make grape jam?

CelticJourney 09-19-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kklibrarian (Post 5947954)
I'm late to answering this question, but I'll try. Muscadine skins are very thick and full of tannins and other yucky things. The seed is huge and actually somewhat oily in the grape as well. I have never successfully made anything with them other than juicing them for jelly. That being said, muscadine jelly is one of the best things in the world to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with. :yum

I think jelly is what its going to have to be.

houseforjoy 09-19-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 5947981)
I've canned in the past, but honestly have found that just freezing is so much easier. :shifty So that's what I do for the most part. :yes

I have a bunch of frozen grapes from the past. I thought the kids would eat them frozen during the summer but they haven't really taken to it. Is there anything else I can do with them? I hate the just throw them away. :think They are seedless. How hard is it to make grape jam?

Frozen grapes are great in smoothies!

kklibrarian 10-14-2015 01:52 PM

I came up with something I'm calling Persephone's Dream for farmers market on Saturday. It's a combination of persimmons, pomegranate juice, lime juice, and candied ginger. It is AWESOME :yum if I do say so myself! May be my best jam creation in a while.