Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   That Dobson quote about the dog is in post 13 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=409088)

deena 05-15-2011 11:57 AM

That Dobson quote about the dog is in post 13

I was looking for two quotes and a bunch of people helped. The dog show-down is in post 13. It's a revealing peek at Dobson discipline advice.

gpsings 05-15-2011 01:13 PM

Re: Do u own The New Strong Willed Childor Dare to Discipline and want to do me a fav

I have the strong will child...how can I help?

deena 05-16-2011 05:47 AM

Re: Do u own The New Strong Willed Childor Dare to Discipline and want to do me a fav

I'm not sure if it's in the original, but could you check pages 125-130? I'm looking for an article quoted in those pages. I want the quote about hitting a toddler who hits or the toddler's "hitting will persist or even escalate".

Also, I don't know if the story of disciplining his dog is in that book? Do you remember by any chance?

gpsings 05-16-2011 10:49 AM

I made a huge mistake! My Parenting the Strong Willed Child is not by Dobson. :bag...not the same book at all. :( I'm sorry.

deena 05-16-2011 11:04 AM

:) Well, you don't need a Dobson discipline book on your shelf anyway, so that's ok. :wink

solatido 05-16-2011 11:20 AM

I have the new DtD and will flip through it. We may have the strong willed child but I'm pretty sure it's the old one. I'm not entirely sure where it is.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Found something on pg 80 where he drags the dog to get a ball, then rewards it with a cookie. Is that the story?

deena 05-16-2011 11:41 AM

The dog story I'm thinking about is like this huge show down between him and the dog. I could have sworn it was in the bathroom but that could be my imagination. Basically, he had to "win at all costs". :rolleyes

solatido 05-16-2011 01:50 PM

I don't think it's in DtD then and we don't have SWC, but we are going to church and I bet it's in the library. I will check if at all possible.

joysworld 05-16-2011 03:02 PM

I do remember the show down story between him and his dog. I *think* I have both books, but, everything here is packed. (we are moving later this week). I have a trip to the library to make today, and I believe they have both books. I'll look it up for you, if you haven't gotten your answer:)

deena 05-16-2011 03:38 PM

Wow, I really appreciate all the willingness to help. :hearts

solatido 05-16-2011 03:52 PM

Found it but I'm at church on my phone. Will type up later tonight.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

It is on p 13 in the old version if someone else beats me to it... Strong willed child, that is...

gpsings 05-16-2011 04:17 PM

HA! I just found the book at a thrift store for .25!

Looking...

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Reading bits here and there....makes me feel icky...need a shower now. :sick
Couldn't find it though. :shrug3 Still looking. Will burn book later.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

OK, my p13 has an analogy about a grocery cart. I still can't find it... :scratch

joysworld 05-16-2011 04:45 PM

On page 80 of 'The New Dare to Discipline', it talks about his dog Siggy, but he is talking about the law of reinforcement. I've gone through the whole book of TNDTD, and the story of winning at all costs with his dog is not in it. Before I came, the library had Strong Willed Child here, but I got here, and it was checked out.

I did google, and found this. So, it's in The Strong Willed Child, I just don't have access to it at the moment.

"Please don't misunderstand me. Siggie is a member of our family and we love him dearly. And despite his anarchistic nature, I have finally taught him to obey a few simple commands. However, we had some classic battles before he reluctantly yielded to my authority.

"The greatest confrontation occurred a few years ago when I had been in Miami for a three-day conference. I returned to observe that Siggie had become boss of the house while I was gone. But I didn't realize until later that evening just how strongly he felt about his new position as Captain.

"At eleven o'clock that night, I told Siggie to go get into his bed, which is a permanent enclosure in the family room. For six years I had given him that order at the end of each day, and for six years Siggie had obeyed."
-- The Strong Willed Child

http://www.worldcat.org/wcpa/servlet...1&excerpt=true

everydaygrace 05-16-2011 05:19 PM

Oh wow. Thats horrible.

mathematicalmessymamma 05-16-2011 07:26 PM

Not only is that horrible from a parenting standpoint, but anyone who knows anything about dog training would feel :sick and :mad after reading that!