Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   Hot drink suggestions? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=327045)

COTK 10-08-2009 01:51 PM

Hot drink suggestions?

I usually don't like hot drinks but last year I *loved* peppermint hot chocolate and am now more open to the idea of hot drinks. I like the idea of curling up with something warm and relaxing...

This year I'd like to find a different drink besides hot chocolate as there is lots of sugar in it. I *don't* like teas, I've given them an honest try in the past. Coffee on the other hand, I've not really tried. I don't really think I'll just jump in with straight up black coffee, but would like to try some flavored stuff. I've never had a cappuccino or latte, or anything else like it. What are the differences between them all? What would be a good thing to try? Something creamy and sweet, but obviously not too sweet....

Also a question about caffeine: is it bad for you even if your body doesn't react to it? Is it still addictive or harmful?

I really like apple cider, too, but it still has lots of sugar in it. I've never actually compared the amounts of sugar in cider vs. chocolate.

easygoinmomma 10-08-2009 02:19 PM

Re: Hot drink suggestions?

I think you might like a steamer. It is basically steamed milk with flavor add. There are all different kinds, my favorite is a pumpkin steamer. It kind of tastes like pumpkin pie. Another favorite of mine is a chai latte. YUM!

mountainash 10-08-2009 02:28 PM

There were some yummy hot drink recipes in the Martha Stewart magazine for October.

LadybugSam 10-08-2009 02:28 PM

i know you said that you don't like teas, but have you tried it with milk? A some hot tea with milk, a little sugar, and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top is my favorite :)

TuneMyHeart 10-08-2009 02:53 PM

apple cider

chai tea

we make lemonade with honey and drink it hot in the winter.

musicmama 10-09-2009 06:16 AM

Well I looooooooooooove tea, so that'd be my first choice ;) Lik PP's have said, have you tried it with honey/milk? I *love* Earl Grey tea with sugar/honey and milk. NOT skim milk, it basically tastes like watered down tea then! Or chai sweetened with milk, too.

A latte is espresso and steamed milk with a dollop of foam. A cappuccino is espresso and foam with a splash of milk (altho you can get a "wet" cappuccino which is more milk). There's nothing sweet about either of those unless you sweeten them. If you're talking about lattes and cappuccinos out of the machines at the gas station, just resign yourself to drinking hundreds of calories and fat. :lol

If you were my customer ordering at Starbucks, I would probably encourage you in the way of a flavored latte (vanilla, caramel, hazelnut), caramel macchiato, or get the peppermint hot chocolate with maybe just 1 or 2 pumps of mint. Our hot chocolate isn't too bad calorie wise (except the signature hot chocolate which is like diabetic coma in a cup :yum) A tall nonfat, no whip hot chocolate has 190 calories in it, I think 2 pumps of peppermint would add 70 calories. A tall nonfat, no whip vanilla (pr caramel, or toffeenut, etc) cream is 150 calories. I believe the pumpkin has more calories (like the white mocha) but it shouldn't be like 10000 more or anything

Another drink that is deeeeeeeeelicious and completely rediculously high in calories is the caramel apple spice. But it's yummy!

Grower08 10-12-2009 04:02 PM

HI:)

The coffees at a coffee shop are pretty much the same ideas.

But to start with the most basic drinks: Latte - it's just espresso and steamed milk. Cappuccino is espresso, steamed milk with an inch or two of foam (from the steamed milk)

So after that - a mocha is chocolate syrup, espresso, and steamed milk (topped with whip cream) - Vanilla latte - latte w/ vanilla syrup (same as carmel, hazelnut, etc).

Breve is steamed 1/2 & 1/2 and espresso.

Macchiato is a layered drink - vanilla syrup, steamed milk, foam, espresso on the top (and carmel drizzle if it's a carmel macchiato).

So - IMO I would say stay away from coffee (and caffeine) because 1) expensive 2) yes it is addictive (therefore more expensive) 3) imo - it's just not that great for you.

If you are worried about calories - you'd have to order the coffee drinks skim, SF (then you get aspartime), and to be caffeine free - decafe. After that - what's the point?

You'd think I had worked at a coffee shop before....... ;)

The other suggestions - cider, steamer, chai (with soy!! YUM), are great options. Next time I see you we'll go to a coffee shop and make you try a chai. :)

:heart

newday 10-12-2009 04:06 PM

i love Dandy Blend.
it is an instant drink that is a little bitter like coffee, chocolate, tea - no joke. It is yummy, you can drink it cold or hot, mix it into cocoa to cut the sweetness AND it is nutritive. (dandylion is a very good liver tonic)
even my hard core espresso drinking dh thinks it is tasty.

mountainash 10-12-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grower08 (Post 2622444)
The other suggestions - cider, steamer, chai (with soy!! YUM), are great options. Next time I see you we'll go to a coffee shop and make you try a chai. :)

:heart

:think Can you make chai with cider?! That might rock! (On of the recipes in that Martha Steward article was for creamy vanilla infused cider with whipped cream on top. I've been secretly obsessing about it. When i read your post it occurred to me to put my chai tea into hot apple cider with some vanilla and whipped cream on top. Squeee!!)

sprout 10-12-2009 06:15 PM

i adore soy steamers...super yum.

Lily2584 10-12-2009 08:25 PM

You can get cider with no sugar added, that way there is no artificial sweetener, but it cuts down the calories and sugar. There is a farm market here where the Amish make no sugar added cider. Oh it's heavenly!

I second the steamer suggestion. My mom and I made strawberry steamers, very yummy!

Grower08 10-13-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainash (Post 2622666)
:think Can you make chai with cider?!

At the coffee shop that I used to work at as a college student, we called that a "chai-der" and yes it was super yummy!

Katelynn 10-13-2009 08:52 AM

Idrink hot lemon and honey maybe you can do a herbal tea my favorite is Orange Spice tea.

RiverRock 10-13-2009 08:56 AM

There are already a lot of great suggestions here, but one to consider is licorice spice tea with milk. It's naturally sweet! :yum

AlishaRose 10-13-2009 09:38 AM

If I am not in the mood for tea or something milky then I have hot vimto, hot berry squash or fresh orange juice warmed up and mixed with some boiling water.