Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Above Rubies and failed adoptions (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=445174)

MissusLeata 04-04-2012 03:22 PM

Above Rubies and failed adoptions

I know that somewhere on here it has been discussed about the Above Rubies magazine and the missing children that were adopted from Liberia. Anyway, I decided to contact Nancy Campbell about it and let her know that it was affecting her credibility.

She asked me to call her and we ended up talking for about 1/2 hour. I have concerns with other things that Nancy teaches, but after talking to her, I don't think we have to worry to much about the "missing children." For the most part, in seems that the kids that are no longer in the home are not there because they didn't want to be, not because the family didn't want them. She realizes that they were very naive in their approach to adoption.

And she invites anyone with questions about it to call her.

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to know.

cindergretta 04-04-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Above Rubies and failed adoptions

What is this about? I occasionally receive the Above Rubies magazine, but I am clueless about the adoption thing. :scratch Is there a link or something?

Domina 04-04-2012 03:26 PM

Interesting. So what happened to the children? Were they turned over to the state to be placed in new homes? Returned to Liberia?

Barefoot Bookworm 04-04-2012 03:28 PM

I am very curious about this because I normally love Nancy Campbell. Her Power Of Motherhood study was awesome for me.

MissusLeata 04-04-2012 03:38 PM

Serene had adopted several children from Liberia. Now she only has 2. That's where the question came from.

Nancy said that the older kids where actually older than they thought and wanted to be independent. She said only one had to be "removed" from the home for safety issues.

And as to Nancy's adopted children. She says that she still has a good relationship with them.

It sounds like they were completely unprepared for the attachment issues they were going to be dealing with with children who had been abandoned and living in an institution.

She also realized that they had been misled as to the nature of the orphanage that they were working with.

So, they've learned a lot by what they've went through and though she still supports adoption, she realizes now the issues that can come up and even recommended reading to me if I ever want to adopt. :-)

Barefoot Bookworm 04-04-2012 03:39 PM

So what reading did she recommend? Just curious, not trying to start anything. :)

MissusLeata 04-04-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexi (Post 4555956)
So what reading did she recommend? Just curious, not trying to start anything. :)

The Primal Wound.

It really made me feel for her, because when I mentioned the whole attachment thing, she was like, "Oh you know about it." It's like they were clueless about attachment issues.

It sounded like they really, really tried to help the older ones that they had adopted but that they really saw adoption as simply a way to independence. She said that the older "teens" were actually older than they had thought and they were basically trying to parent adults.

TestifyToLove 04-04-2012 04:46 PM

Nancy Campbell is lying to you.

There will be an article printed in the NYT, I can't tell you when because it was supposed to be printed in January. What I can tell you is that someone tracked all of the missing children and interviewed them AND their families personally (those that have families now).

Nancy Campbell is lying.

She does NOT have good relationships with all of her adoptive children. The children did NOT all leave because they didn't want to be there. Both hers and Serena's children.

I'm under orders to not say more. The research HAS been done, and the story from the compound has been tracked all the way to Africa and across the US. The children have been contacted personally and gave interviews. Their families gave interviews. NONE of it matches what comes out of the Campbell compound as the "official" story.

Not really surprising. Dishonest spinning of any negative press is not new for Nancy Campbell.

What I am allowed to say that is that *most* of the missing children are okay.

As an adoptive mother, a peer support, an adoption advocate and a birthmother, I do NOT recommend you read the Primal Wound. Furthermore, I don't trust nor recommend ANYTHING that Nancy Campbell says about adoption nor her own children, whom she never cared enough about to call anything but her "adoptive children" even when they were in her home.

I don't have "adoptive" and real children. I simply have children. Nancy Campbell never had anything BUT adoptive and real children, and makes sure everyone knows the differences, especially those poor children.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Furthermore, what Nancy Campbell was UNPREPARED for was to PARENT children, honestly, unconditionally PARENT children. She shares FAR more culpability both in the treatment of her own children AND the fiasco that was the Liberian adoption nightmare. SHE led the charge for Fundies and Quiverful families to adopt from Liberia and Africa in general.

Because of her call to "rescue" the heathen children and "evangelize" them, families went to Liberia in DROVES. They ignored ethics. They ignored the LAW. They were grabbing and claiming these poor "orphanages" at a scary rate. Children were STOLEN from birthfamilies to satiate the appetite that Nancy Campbell ignited. The country was CLOSED because of the child trafficking, the money flying, the families demanding CHILDREN TO RESCUE at all costs.

Most, like Nancy Campbell, thought that once they rescued these poor heathens, they would be grateful.

Don't think she has culpability, then you need to google TWO NAMES. Lydia Schatz and Hanna Williams. Hanna was from Ethiopia, but was the SAME insatiable appetite to rescue the orphans, the same quiverful/Fundie families and the same mentalities that are threatening to close Ethiopia, the nation they turned their attention towards when Liberia was closed. Just like Michael Pearl holds culpability for those chidren's torture, so too does Nancy Campbell.

I don't let her off that easy.

MissusLeata 04-04-2012 05:46 PM

TestifytoLove, I'm glad you chimed in. I only know what she told me on the phone today. I did point out to her the problem of not treating her adopted children like her own and she said that it was a different situation than my family would be if I adopted because of her age when she adopted them. She's already a grandma. (I didn't think that made sense, but that's what she said.)

I tried to get her to take some responsibility for all the Liberian adoptions that happened because of her influence and she wouldn't really take any. She only "reported what she saw and families opened their hearts". I was trying to point out that if she encouraged adoption and then realized that it was tougher than she thought she should be open about it. But she didn't seem willing to print the problems that were coming out of their adoptions.

She did talk kind of icky about Serene's older daughters. She said that they wanted Serene out of the house so that they could have her husband to themselves. She was a bit descriptive about it. It was hard to reconcile the way she talked about them with the rest of the way she talked about how much love they had for them and all that.

I'm looking forward to reading the article in the NYT's. Will you let us know when it comes out?

TestifyToLove 04-04-2012 05:56 PM

My father is 62 years old. My oldest sister is 38. My youngest sister is 13. My oldest two children overlap the ages of my youngest two siblings. My niece is older than THREE of my siblings.

The excuse that she wasn't expected to be a REAL mother to those children because she was a grandmother is proposterous and shows just how disgusting her mentality towards those children is. My father is sacrificing his life and his health to be a REAL parent to the four minor children still in his home. That he was a grandfather when he became their father is irrelevant. He is their father, their REAL father.

Nancy Campbell is a racist. Her mentality towards those children was ALWAYS colored by the color of their skin. Furthermore, she did NOT merely report the facts. She issued a battle cry for Quiverful families to adopt the heathen orphans out of deep, dark Africa to rescue them. She never CARED what the outcome would be after they were adopted, because adopting them and evangilizing them was what it was supposed to be about. There was never an obligation to do anything else beyond that in the first place.

She is full of nothing but excuses. She's not going to take responsibility for what she did, not to those children, nor to any of the other hundreds of children who suffer because of her battle cry.

Liberian children are STILL being dumped into the US fostercare system unceremoniously and without ties to their past but lots of trauma at the hands of overhwlemed families who had NO business adopting them in the first place.

I did my responsiblity. I reported to the Embassy in Liberia and the Visa Clearinghouse repeatedly what I watched going on in Liberia.

ValiantJoy07 04-04-2012 05:57 PM

Question

TestifyToLove 04-04-2012 06:00 PM

Yes, but as I said, I was told it was supposed to be published in January but the fact checkers never contacted me at all. So, I don't know what the status on the article is now.

I do know the article is a pre-cursor to a book on the issue. So, the real story will eventually be out there.

Nancy Campbell do nothing but spin a web of deciet and lies. I don't feel better about what happened, nor does it correct her reputation after what she did. She deserves the consequences of what she did. Those children never, ever did.

ValiantJoy07 04-04-2012 06:03 PM

Her curriculum "far above rubies" RRALLY RRALLY screwed my sister up. :bheart

MissusLeata 04-04-2012 06:04 PM

So, were the teens not really adults like she told me? She said that because of the war and all their birth certificates were wrong and that they basically adopted adults who didn't want to be in families but rather just wanted their independence.

TestifyToLove 04-04-2012 06:06 PM

That was the information that I was told I could not share before the article is printed. However, no, they are NOT adults. They are children. One child is a legal adult now. I'm not sure if that child was when the Campbells got rid of the child, but she is an adult now. The others are still minors TODAY, so no they were not adults then if they are not adults now either.