Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=404124)

Wonder Woman 04-05-2011 05:43 AM

Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

http://therealrebeccadiamond.com/read-it-and-weep - I've posted a copy on my blog. Very, very sensitive :cry

bec28 04-05-2011 05:56 AM

Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

Thank you for posting this story. I won't be supporting Lori Wick any more. Well, I don't usuLly buy books anyway, but I won't be borrowing herbooks from the library anymore either. That is just so sad what has happened to those children. They are just babies :bheart :sick

ShiriChayim 04-05-2011 06:32 AM

:sick

katiekind 04-05-2011 06:38 AM

I am sick to my stomach. God pour tenderest mercy on those poor children and lift the veil of deception in the minds of the adults. That is horrible.

Llee 04-05-2011 06:55 AM

Again, thank you for posting about this in a way that I can share on FB.

littleowl 04-05-2011 07:10 AM

I think it's time to make spanking against the law in the United States.

newday 04-05-2011 07:29 AM

:cry
that is just so heartbreaking.

Oddly, what I found the worst was that the father would read the Moses story and then leave his daughter alone when it was too sad for her. :bheart :(

rjy9343 04-05-2011 08:05 AM

That she tried to comfort her father so he did not get a spanking is one of the saddest things I have ever read. :bheart

gpsings 04-05-2011 09:24 AM

:cry

I really hope these children will find justice and healing.

Niphredil 04-05-2011 09:36 AM

:bheart :sick

Blue Aurora 04-05-2011 09:43 AM

That poor baby girl. I have a naive question to ask though...why are they able to to charge this couple? So many Christians spank starting a little before a year and no charges are made so why is it possible in this case?

mamamonkey 04-05-2011 09:46 AM

:bheart

Wonder Woman 04-05-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Aurora (Post 3814650)
That poor baby girl. I have a naive question to ask though...why are they able to to charge this couple? So many Christians spank starting a little before a year and no charges are made so why is it possible in this case?

That's what is so ground-breaking about this, and why I'm praying so hard that it's successfully prosecuted :pray4 It's setting case precedent to legally protect children :pray4

Drew 04-05-2011 10:02 AM

Well that's disgusting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekind (Post 3814135)
I am sick to my stomach. God pour tenderest mercy on those poor children and lift the veil of deception in the minds of the adults. That is horrible.

You are a much better person than I. While you are praying for them to have the veil of deception lifted I'm wanting to take a rod to them myself. :shifty

forty-two 04-05-2011 10:09 AM

The thing that has been so shocking to me in all this is how open all the members are being about spanking babies with rods :jawdrop - I mean, they seem to have *no idea* how it is perceived by others, no idea that most people consider that abuse :sick. I just don't get it - I mean, even the Pearls & co. understand how that sort of thing is perceived by "outsiders" :-/, and advise that you are careful amongst people "who don't understand (so-called) godly discipline" :mad. But everything I've seen from this case indicates that the people charged have been amazingly open about what they do, with no apparent recognition that anyone would have a problem with it :bheart.

Sanveann 04-05-2011 10:51 AM

Oh my goodness -- that is just stomach-turning. My youngest (well, youngest who's not in utero) is 27 months, and I can't even IMAGINE spanking him. I have several friends with babies who are around 9-11 months right now as well, and it's just positively unthinkable to imagine anyone hitting those sweet little ones with a stick.

DoulaClara 04-05-2011 10:54 AM

Did anyone ever have any luck with contacting the publishers?

Wonder Woman 04-05-2011 10:59 AM

Alexis - Hi! I haven't seen you around for a while :heart

DC - no response to my letter. I'm thinking about calling them...

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote:

But everything I've seen from this case indicates that the people charged have been amazingly open about what they do, with no apparent recognition that anyone would have a problem with it :bheart.
Someone I know quite well was very open about the fact that she grabbed a new church member's autistic child and hit him for not following instructions - and was baffled when I expressed anger. When you are enmeshed/brainwashed to that degree, you truly are unable to see how anyone else could have a problem with it :shiver :sick

Atarah 04-05-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaClara (Post 3814886)
Did anyone ever have any luck with contacting the publishers?

I was able to send a note on the "contact us" page, but never received a reply. :shrug

Thank you for sharing this, Rebecca.

:pray2 for justice

nadezhda 04-05-2011 11:10 AM

:pray4 they are persecuted to the fullest extent.

And...does anyone else find it painfully ironic that he graduated from Grace Theological Seminary? :cry He has no concept...:bheart That poor little girl.

RealLifeMama 04-05-2011 11:20 AM

I find this very disturbing.
Of course, I do not advocate parents hitting babies with wooden dowels. Not at all.
But, what I find disconcerting is different than the disturbing reality that there are parents that use the rod for discipline.
First, it sounds like the daughter of the author Lori Wick is the one charged, not the Author, am I reading that correctly? (I don't really know who Lori Wick is, and I don't care. )

Secondly, it looks like the sherrif's office was trying to build a case against the church for whatever reason. 450 pages of documentation against them? And all the references to the split? It sounds like a witch hunt for the person in charge of that church to me, with the person that was left behind leading it. I dunno. It all sounds "off" and a horrible precedent to set to me.

Wonder Woman 04-05-2011 11:22 AM

the son and daughter in law are being charged. The connection to Lori? Her money paid for the 'church', and the abuse occurred in her home :think
I don't care what motive is behind it, frankly - I'm really, really glad that hitting infants is being recognized as abuse :shrug

ETA: My husband is a law enforcement officer. I assure you that the level of documentation required for any investigation is staggering - 450 pages isn't nearly 'witch hunt' level :shifty :giggle

nadezhda 04-05-2011 11:24 AM

From what I gathered, this type of "discipline" is taught & actively promoted by the leader who took over after the split, which is why there is investigation into the church.

Myrtle 04-05-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonder Woman (Post 3814901)

When you are enmeshed/brainwashed to that degree, you truly are unable to see how anyone else could have a problem with it :shiver :sick

Or they think others only have a problem with it b/c they don't believe the Bible. That's what I've run into. I grew up in a culture of spanking, but I didn't know anyone who spanked babies in real life until recently. I was appalled. Even coming from a background of being spanked and not having a problem with it, even planning to spank my own children (until I ran into GCM :yes), I had never run into the teaching of spanking babies. I've only read Tripp's book, but there were things in there that were so twisted (he actually advocates spankings as young as 8 months, not 18 months) that it baffled me that people I considered intelligent, normal people didn't run screamin from his teachings. :hunh Instead, they quoted them to me and told me the reason I didn't agree was b/c I didn't take the Bible seriously. Whoa.

And then there are those who believe they're being persecuted for standing up for the Biblical way of parenting, persecuted by a world hostile to the Word. "If spanking is against the law, then I'll go to jail!" Yes, that I've heard. That's a hill they're willing to die on. A hill made up of a precious few poetic verses that they've never even bothered to read in the original language or study the meaning of in context of the original language! Ack!!:doh

Hermana Linda 04-05-2011 11:52 AM

I was going to link to something entirely different today but decided to link to this today. :yes3 This is so important. :pray4

gpsings 04-05-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrtle (Post 3815065)
Or they think others only have a problem with it b/c they don't believe the Bible. That's what I've run into. I grew up in a culture of spanking, but I didn't know anyone who spanked babies in real life until recently. I was appalled. Even coming from a background of being spanked and not having a problem with it, even planning to spank my own children (until I ran into GCM :yes), I had never run into the teaching of spanking babies. I've only read Tripp's book, but there were things in there that were so twisted (he actually advocates spankings as young as 8 months, not 18 months) that it baffled me that people I considered intelligent, normal people didn't run screamin from his teachings. :hunh Instead, they quoted them to me and told me the reason I didn't agree was b/c I didn't take the Bible seriously. Whoa.

And then there are those who believe they're being persecuted for standing up for the Biblical way of parenting, persecuted by a world hostile to the Word. "If spanking is against the law, then I'll go to jail!" Yes, that I've heard. That's a hill they're willing to die on. A hill made up of a precious few poetic verses that they've never even bothered to read in the original language or study the meaning of in context of the original language! Ack!!:doh

Maybe I'm naive, but isn't Following the Law of the Land also in the bible? I mean, how well are you able to spank/ parent from behind bars? :hunh
One of the things I hope that will come from spanking being prosecuted, is that christian parents will start following the law of the land in regard to how they choose to discipline.

Myrtle 04-05-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpsings (Post 3815115)
Maybe I'm naive, but isn't Following the Law of the Land also in the bible? I mean, how well are you able to spank/ parent from behind bars? :hunh
One of the things I hope that will come from spanking being prosecuted, is that christian parents will start following the law of the land in regard to how they choose to discipline.

Not trying to be argumentative at all. Just sharing what I've run into in these discussions with people I know in real life who could have the exact same criminal complaints written up about them...

"Ah, but not if that law contradicts God's Word. Better to obey God than man and all." The only thing with that is, it's kinda' important to actually know God's Word on a matter before they start throwing that about!

The whole teaching on spanking young children and infants is based, not just on a faulty interpretation of the Word (b/c that could be debatable or easily dismissed if one just didn't agree with someone else's interpretation). It's based on plain old misunderstanding of the Word b/c it's taught over and over in the English with no mention of what the actual, literal interpretation of the words even are. Those who insist on taking the Word literally instead of figuratively don't even do it b/c they don't even know what it says literally! *sigh*

magpiedpiper 04-05-2011 12:24 PM

That just makes my heart so sad. When the father stated that physical punishment can begin as early as 3 months old...ugh. We have a friend whose babies just reached three months of age. I cannot even begin to imagine striking such small, new babies simply for crying. :sick

Wonder Woman 04-05-2011 12:37 PM

their pastor? He said SIX WEEKS :cry :shiver :sick

rjy9343 04-05-2011 12:51 PM

I think that gpsings makes a very good point. Even if spanking is not banned out right making it taboo, would cause people to think twice. I grew up in the rural South were it is perfectly acceptable to spank. I even heard spank if you love from the pulpit. I had a real ah ha moment when I realized that the only reason I was going to spank is because I that is what I thought I was commanded to do by God. I did not want to do it and was praying that God would give me the courage to do it. Because it had a Christian wrapper, I was going to do something I found sickening. I really think that is why most Christians spank. They really do not want to do it, but they have heard most if not all of their lives that if you do not, then you do not love your kids and have damned them to death and destruction.
Unfortunately, Myrtle is right. There are always going to be people who think spanking is mandatory and would rather go to prison, then disobey. But if it is not as acceptable, then that number will be far fewer. At least that is my hope. As sad as I am for those babies, if it causes a serious look at what these so called gurus are saying then it was not in vain.

Castle On A Cloud 04-05-2011 12:55 PM

:sick

CelticJourney 04-05-2011 01:39 PM

The laws regarding corporal punishment are different for each state. I'm in South Carolina and my husband is in law enforcement, so I have access to the 'code' book. Here, believe it or not, it is illegal to strike a child anywhere but the bottom or with anything but the hand. Enforcement is a different issue. My point is 1) there is a legal foundation for prosecuting this couple depending on the laws of their state and 2) changing the laws does far less than changing the heart. We are in a battle for hearts and souls, not just or even predominately rules.

Cook 04-05-2011 02:16 PM

:cry This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod. This is sick. I have some bad business of abuse from my past but the idea that ANYONE could wrap their mind around that young of using physical infliction of pain to yield a behavior change... I'm ... I'm not sure at all what to think of that. I too had to pray for courage to spank in the name of Christianity. Oddly enough my own faith started to suffer greatly around that time :(

I also agree that laws don't stop people. But maybe this sort of extreme story *will* make people second guess their approach in any discipline situation.

Annainprogress 04-05-2011 03:12 PM

:sick :(

Hermana Linda 04-05-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook (Post 3815572)
:cry This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod.

Actually, someone was quoted as saying that 1 and a half months was an appropriate age to use the rod. :sick

ClassicMom 04-05-2011 04:07 PM

I'm speechless... well, almost. The part that gave me chills was the father admitting to seeing bruises on the little girl's body, but then he would remember "Jesus died the most horrible death." :hunh And?! That is just twisted beyond anything I've ever heard.

I pray that little girl will be placed in a home where she will experience true love and grace.

BTW, does anyone know if she has been removed from her parents yet? One of the earlier news stories indicated that she and others are still with their parents, but I may have missed something in the past few days.

Katydid 04-05-2011 04:07 PM

Spanking 6 week old babies in the name of God? :sick I can only imagine how that much must sadden and disgust Him. :sad

Isn't it illegal in Canada to spank a child under the age of two? I think that would be a wonderful start here. :yes2

Sanveann 04-05-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonder Woman (Post 3814901)
Alexis - Hi! I haven't seen you around for a while :heart

Hi there! It's good to be back :)

mommy2abigail 04-05-2011 05:45 PM

This is :sick
John Caminiti told investigators in November he uses a rod or dowel on his two youngest children at home or at church and the scriptures make it clear his behavior is allowed.
He said he does not allow his family to communicate with people outside his religious beliefs and has punished his wife and son by shunning, or confining them to their rooms to have no contact with other family members, until they corrected their disobedience.

dulce de leche 04-05-2011 06:10 PM

Notice that the wife's status IRT punishment is the same level as the child's.