Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Slow Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=548)
-   -   macaroni and cheese (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=272635)

herbalwriter 09-24-2008 06:04 PM

macaroni and cheese

This is adapted from Fix It and Forget It - someone referred to the mac & cheese recipe in this cookbook in another thread - so sorry; I don't remember who it was! :O But it inspired me to try it and I did, but with significant adaptations. ;) It was SO GOOD I wanted to share it.

This serves 3-4 imo. It was enough for ds and me (I had 2 good servings) with lots left over.

4 oz. whole wheat macaroni elbows, cooked al dente
2 1/2 cups shredded medium or sharp cheddar
1/4-1/3 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk (I used organic, 1%, lactose free)
1 egg
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Grease slow cooker with butter; mix all ingredients together reserving 3/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup over the macaroni mixture, cover and cook on low 3-4 hours without raising the lid or stirring. I started my crockpot on high for maybe 30 min., then turned it to low - it was ready in 2.5-3 hours and had nice brown edges. :)

deena 09-24-2008 06:06 PM

Re: macaroni and cheese

OH MY GOSH. That sounds heavenly. My mouth is literally watering. I'm going to make that next week (after I go grocery shopping). :ty4

herbalwriter 09-24-2008 07:29 PM

You're welcome! It's REALLY good. :yum

Iarwain 09-24-2008 09:33 PM

I'm trying to picture 4 oz of macaroni... How full did this fill the crockpot and what capacity is it? Would I have room to double it? Actually I think I'd need two crockpots full to have enough to go around but fortunately I have another slow cooker that could be going at the same time. It sounds really yummy if I can get it properly adjusted for quantity.

herbalwriter 09-25-2008 05:27 AM

I have a kitchen scale and just weighed it first. :think You could measure all the cups in, say, an 8 oz. box and divide accordingly. It looked like about 1 1/2 cups dry, but I didn't measure; I only weighed it in a bowl. :think

The total recipe above made about 4 cups of mac and cheese, I'd say.

Hope this helps!!!

Lady TS 09-25-2008 05:39 AM

:yum

herbalwriter 09-25-2008 05:44 AM

I am tempted to eat the leftovers for breakfast this morning... :shifty

Iarwain 09-25-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah
I have a kitchen scale and just weighed it first. :think You could measure all the cups in, say, an 8 oz. box and divide accordingly. It looked like about 1 1/2 cups dry, but I didn't measure; I only weighed it in a bowl. :think

The total recipe above made about 4 cups of mac and cheese, I'd say.

Hope this helps!!!

That totally helps. It sounds like it makes about as much as a box mix and I know that it takes 3-4 boxes to feed my family if we have something to go with it so I can figure it from there. Thanks!

herbalwriter 09-25-2008 10:21 AM

If it helps, the original recipe was supposed to feed 6 (I posted the half amounts) - but that may not include growing teenage boys. ;)

Enjoy!!!!!

Iarwain 09-25-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

If it helps, the original recipe was supposed to feed 6 (I posted the half amounts) - but that may not include growing teenage boys. ;)

Enjoy!!!!!

Yes, thanks, that does help. And no it would not be enough to feed growing teenage boys! I think that the amounts you posted would probably feed ONE of them on a hungry day. :crazy

mom2threegirls 09-25-2008 10:35 AM

Yum! That sounds awesome! I'm always looking for new slowcooker recipes- so many of them seem to involve meat and cream of soup :rolleyes.

This sounds yummy, easy, and like something my family will actually EAT :tu.

herbalwriter 09-25-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iarwain
Quote:

Enjoy!!!!!

Yes, thanks, that does help. And no it would not be enough to feed growing teenage boys! I think that the amounts you posted would probably feed ONE of them on a hungry day. :crazy

I'm there in 9 years, mama! :giggle I am not, technically, "growing" (or not supposed to be), and I probably could have eaten the entire batch in one day if I started early enough. :shifty So yeah, you might want to double or triple or quadruple that recipe!!! Using whole wheat macaroni increases the "filling" factor too. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2threegirls
I'm always looking for new slowcooker recipes- so many of them seem to involve meat and cream of soup :rolleyes.

I KNOW it! I was just thinking that when I posted this. That drives me bonkers. I commended BananaCake for posting veggie-based, whole food type recipes in this forum. :)

klpmommy 09-05-2010 01:15 PM

I want to try this one. It sounds yummy.

Lady TS 09-05-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpmommy (Post 3315564)
I want to try this one. It sounds yummy.

Oh, it is! I made it for our Thanksmas dinner one year and everyone raved about it. I used a lot more pasta than it called for, though, (and it was whole wheat). Still, yummy!

mamahammer 11-16-2012 10:33 AM

Bumping this for my thanksgiving planning!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2