Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   cheaper cell phone plan? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=507146)

esperanza 07-24-2014 01:22 PM

cheaper cell phone plan?

My dh's phone is dead and out of warranty. My phone is old, not in great shape, and could probably go at any time. We both have smartphones. We're in a family plan with my mom, paying about 180/month for the three lines, data, text, etc. We're with US Cellular right now. My phone and dh's phone are out of contract, so we're free to go anywhere. They changed about a year ago so that when you get a new phone, you have another 2 year contract. :-/

We initially chose this because of the great international options- free texting internationally. That was a big deal when we got these phones, but now there are so many apps that allow this, it's not so important.

I've been putting off looking for other options, and I don't even know where to start. There isn't anything cheaper for what we have a US Cellular. I imagine if we go to one of the other big lines, we'll end up paying more for what we already have.

Neither of us use our phones a ton, meaning we don't need huge amounts of data or anything. Anyone have a suggestion of something that would be cheaper?? I don't even know where to start looking.

mommylove 07-24-2014 01:38 PM

Re: cheaper cell phone plan?

I would probably start by figuring out which network works best in your area & choose a company who contracts off that network's towers.

Based on high recommendations from GCM, I bought a used iPhone from my friend when she upgraded & put it with Kitty Wireless, a dealer for Page Plus, which operates on the Verizon towers. I pay $30/mo for everything, no contract. When I first started, I paid $12/mo & used it only on wifi.

Ramee151 07-24-2014 02:20 PM

We went with Republic Wireless--check them out online. Each line is $25/month for unlimited in-network 3G data, unlimited texting, unlimited calling. No roaming fees (just a limit on your data use). They have cheaper plans (and I think 1 plan that is for 4G that is a little more, $40?/month/line maybe?).

We had AT&T, then US Cellular. Hated AT&T and were incredibly "meh" with US Celluslar. Technically, we still have US Cellular but my phone broke, then DH shattered his screen. It is cheaper for us to cut our plan back to the absolute basics with US Cellular and add the expense of our Republic lines than to pay the contract termination fee. We are contract free in December...just a few more months.

MamaSam 07-24-2014 02:25 PM

We went with net10 a few months ago. I think they run off of verizon towers but don't quote me. For unlimited talk and text,DH pays $35/mo and for unlimited talk/text/data, I pay $40. Ours are basic phones,not smartphones.

BestLaidPlans 07-24-2014 02:38 PM

I recently went prepaid with Verizon. Way, way cheaper than their regular plans for us.

Sparrow 07-24-2014 02:42 PM

I couldn't be further ;) but after shopping around we went with virgin. They gave us a free iPhone. We pay $110 a month for our phones, dh has a plan where everything is free (text, cell data, long distance) we also don't have a landline

esperanza 07-24-2014 02:48 PM

Wow, so many great options that are so much cheaper. How do I know what gets good reception here? Just googling, I suppose.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Just realized the one thing I hadn't really thought about- new phones. If we go with one of these other non-big cell phone companies, I assume we'll be paying outright the full price for a new phone for dh. We could look for another one used. Any other ideas?

mommylove 07-24-2014 02:52 PM

Look up coverage maps for the big networks. There are lots of sources for used smartphones . . . google that + your town. There's also plenty of info online to shop for used phones so you don't get a stolen phone or whatever.

Hannah Elise 07-24-2014 03:02 PM

Dh has a phone with Straight Talk - was actually able to put one of their Sim cards in his AT&T phone. He has unlimited talk/text and I forget how much data, for I think $45/month. I have an AT&T gophone right now, for $37/month including tax... unlimited text and more talk than I need. I forget how much data, but it's a feature phone not a smart phone, and now that we have Internet here at the house, I rarely use the data. I am planning in getting a tracphone before the next billing cycle, because I can just buy1000 minute that don't expire for 365 days, for $160 total, which is more than enough for me. I'm not a talker.

Jeanette598 07-24-2014 06:09 PM

We are looking into Ting.com. You pay based on usage, so for two of us who don't use our phones heavily, we could pay less than $40/month. They have used phones for sale. :)

ECingMama 07-24-2014 07:09 PM

Guy today just told me that he loves Republic Wireless and it really is unlimited fo r$25 a month! Have to buy phone up front though. His smart phone was $179. If you already have a phone, see about getting it unlocked? That may work.

esperanza 07-24-2014 07:16 PM

I was just looking at Republic Wireless online. It looks pretty awesome! But yeah, that's the thing I'm stuck on. You have to buy their phones. No other options. The phones I saw online looked pretty expensive. Dh's phone is dead anyway, and mine is old and not in good shape. But that's still a lot of money to have to buy two new phones.

Are other plans like this too?

ECingMama 07-24-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 5806616)
I was just looking at Republic Wireless online. It looks pretty awesome! But yeah, that's the thing I'm stuck on. You have to buy their phones. No other options. The phones I saw online looked pretty expensive. Dh's phone is dead anyway, and mine is old and not in good shape. But that's still a lot of money to have to buy two new phones.

maybe you can buy an unlocked, used phone at a cell phone store. My sister has bought several used phones.

mommylove 07-24-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 5806616)

I considered Republic Wireless . . . IIRC, RW is on the Sprint Network. I was under the impression at the time that any phone formerly used on the Sprint Network would work. :think

(I ended up choosing a company who uses the Verizon network & my phone was formerly on a Verizon plan. I didn't need to modify it in any way. :no)

IIUC, any phone can be unlocked or jailbroken or whatever :crazy But that was waaaay outside my tech comfort level.

Llee 07-24-2014 08:17 PM

To get your phone unlocked, call your service provider. If you're buying a phone from someone, have them meet you at that phone's store, to make sure the phone isn't under contract or hasn't been paid, etc.

We have t-mobile and love it. We are with my parents and we pay about $50/phone for unlimited talk and text, 1g/phone for 4g data and then unlimited 3g. Their reception is pretty bad in Nebraska though. We're there only once every 2 years. :shifty '

They do have unlimited texting/data in 120ish countries and unlimited international texting from the US to that country for most countries. You can also stream Pandora, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, Rhapsody, Spotify, Slacker, and Milk Music for free.

You can go no-contract and pay for phone monthly/bring in phone, or go through Costco to get them and have a 2-year contract.