Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Vegetable Lasagna (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=507031)

twoplustwo 07-21-2014 02:06 PM

Vegetable Lasagna

So it's my dh's bday today so I am making beef lasagna per his request. As I was making it I remembered my dd is a vegetarian now & luckily had enough ingredients to make a 1/2 cheese lasagna as well.

But I should really switch the family over to veggie lasagna anyway.

I don't need a whole recipe, Ill just use mine with vegetables instead of meat. So what veggies go in your veggies lasagna? Zucchini, squash, & mushrooms (my guesses from eating veg lasagna many times)? Anything else? Also, do you cook your veggies ahead of time or they cook while the lasagna is baking - I assume cook during the baking - otherwised they'd be so cooked, yes?

Any of tips I might need.

TIA!

TenderLovingWillow 07-21-2014 02:10 PM

Re: Vegetable Lasagna

Sub

mommylove 07-21-2014 02:19 PM

My favorite vegetarian lasagna to make is the Pampered Chef recipe (which I'm having trouble finding online) but it includes the veggies you listed plus carrots. I buzz all the veggies through the food processor (with the #3 blade) and saute them with a few herbs (oregano, basil & ???) then assemble. This recipe calls for precooked noodles. Oddly, no, the veggies aren't turned to mush with all that cooking. ETA: if I were using grated veggies, I wouldn't precook. But I encourage you to try the larger sliced veggies. :tu

Other options are spinach lasagna, which I make with raw spinach & uncooked noodles + extra water & it all cooks together. :tu

twoplustwo 07-21-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommylove (Post 5804345)
My favorite vegetarian lasagna to make is the Pampered Chef recipe (which I'm having trouble finding online) but it includes the veggies you listed plus carrots. I buzz all the veggies through the food processor (with the #3 blade) and saute them with a few herbs (oregano, basil & ???) then assemble. This recipe calls for precooked noodles. Oddly, no, the veggies aren't turned to mush with all that cooking. ETA: if I were using grated veggies, I wouldn't precook. But I encourage you to try the larger sliced veggies. :tu

Other options are spinach lasagna, which I make with raw spinach & uncooked noodles + extra water & it all cooks together. :tu

I will definitely use larger sliced veggies. My recipe does NOT used pre-cooked noodles. So I might be baking longer as well (so probably not precook the veggies either)

SPINACH! Of course, spinach! My kids love spinach. Way more than mushrooms. Thanks for that one! Do you do any other veggies with the spinach?

Im going to try a bunch of different ones & see what everyone likes best!

mommylove 07-21-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 5804352)
I will definitely use larger sliced veggies. My recipe does NOT used pre-cooked noodles. So I might be baking longer as well (so probably not precook the veggies either)

SPINACH! Of course, spinach! My kids love spinach. Way more than mushrooms. Thanks for that one! Do you do any other veggies with the spinach?

Im going to try a bunch of different ones & see what everyone likes best!

When I do spinach, I usually don't add other veggies. Since I assemble it raw, there's not much room for anything else. It's so fluffy when raw, but cooks down to nothing, so I really pile it on.

I knew I was forgetting something, though . . . the PC recipe also uses a can of drained, diced tomatoes with the other veggies.

believer 07-21-2014 02:42 PM

My favorite veggie lasagna is the one from the Engine 2 cookbook. http://engine2diet.com/recipe/raise-...otato-lasagna/
It takes a lot of work, but it is totally amazing.
To be honest, I bought his first book and then tried some recipes from the second one and was disappointed with many of them, but this one recipe - unbelievably good.

HuggaBuggaMommy 07-21-2014 03:59 PM

For my veggie lasagna, I slice my zucchini and squash very thin on a mandolin/grater, and layer with thicker slices of tomato. I add my spinach to my white bean sauce, either defrosted frozen chopped or fresh chopped, depending what I have on hand. I don't use tomato sauce, and I do cook my noodles first (not enough liquid without the sauce for uncooked noodles).

I've also made it like mommylove, with sauce, ricotta (again, with spinach added), and mozzarella in my pre-vegan days, or for my extended family.

mommylove 07-24-2014 11:31 PM

:poke How did it turn out?

twoplustwo 07-25-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommylove (Post 5806709)
:poke How did it turn out?

I haven't done it yet. I just made the beef & cheese. I was just getting ready for next time I make Lasagna! Which will be soonish!