Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   How does this happen? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=509084)

mamacat 10-11-2014 10:36 AM

How does this happen?

I know of a young couple that are quite attached as parents and BF and cosleep with multiple feeds during night but then at some point just nursed down baby and put in crib in darkened room and baby slept all night in there.No CIO or even waking or getting upset.This is baby #2 now they have done this with. :shrug3 In morning they go in and baby awake but not crying or anything.

MegMarch 10-11-2014 10:48 AM

Re: How does this happen?

Some babies do that transition easily. I've heard. From people I can never understand in any way and who tend to leave me feeling like a failure even though they are not in any way unkind.

milkmommy 10-11-2014 11:23 AM

both my kids went easily to bed. They always started the evening i their own space then cosleeped after they woke.. that time just gradually got longer with basically no real effort from me. Margaret woke 1-2 to nurse at night for almost 2 years while Cecilia Sttn by a few months. Still fussing arguing crying etc ju
st wasnt a big issue.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

No i traded other issues Ive had now two extremely picky eatters often leaving me dreading meal times.
Potty training was also a nightmare for both. Were still not 100% with Margaret at 4.5...
So yes we were blessed with one aspect of parenting but still had/have our share of parental shortcomings.

saturnfire16 10-11-2014 11:25 AM

My current 4 month old would do that if I wasn't cosleeping I think. She only wakes up to nurse once a night usually, and other than that, she is OUT COLD. My two middle kids... maybe could have pulled it off by a certain age. :think My oldest....:haha Not a chance. :no Different personalities. :shrug3

allisonintx 10-11-2014 11:26 AM

I had three children who transitioned like that, and one who slept only in the crook of my arm for three years.

I think there are developmental windows for lots of kids where these transitions are easy, and some parents are really good at hitting them.

mamacat 10-11-2014 11:52 AM

I sure didnt know about them :giggle This 2nd baby is only 6 months old too!

ValiantJoy07 10-11-2014 02:32 PM

Hasn't happened here...but at 2.5 years I put dd3 in her own bed and she started sleeping through the night in it most nights with out a peep.

twoplustwo 10-11-2014 02:50 PM

My first was really good at that & really all things sleep related.

But ds was not. :no So it really evened out. :giggle

forty-two 10-11-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonintx (Post 5836861)
I think there are developmental windows for lots of kids where these transitions are easy, and some parents are really good at hitting them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 5836867)
I sure didnt know about them :giggle

Me either :shifty:giggle. I sort of feel we are the poster children for "kids who will never leave the bed" :shifty. And none of them sttn :shifty. When dd8 and dd5.5 start out the night in their own room, they *always* end up together in the bed next to our "big bed" before the night is over. (To the extent that I am slightly panicked if I get up in the morning and they aren't there, but stayed in their beds :shifty.)

Dd8 was incredibly high needs and Dd5.5 couldn't sleep alone as a baby because constant gas issues would wake her up every 45 min. They both slept in arms or next to me until the next baby came, and then, though they started the night in their own bed (an impressive accomplishment, btw, for them to not wake up the minute my warm body left their side :shifty), they always came in during the night and slept between dh and me until they were too big for us to sleep comfortably with them there (somewhere between age four and five). And they still come in every night to this day, but thankfully they are ok with coming into the bed *next* to ours instead of needing to be snuggled right up next me :phew. Both girls still won't go to sleep alone, though - I snuggle with one girl while the other goes to sleep on the couch in the living room with dh and ds3 (alternating nights wrt which girl is where). (Tbh I see the writing on the wall wrt the nightly snuggles ending with dd8 and I'm enjoying them while they last :heart.).

Ds3 was our last baby (complications during pg, so we decided before he was born he was going to be our last), and he *might* have been able to transition early - I joked with people that I had heard tell of babies that fell asleep in a swing, but until ds3, I'd never seen such a thing with my own eyes :giggle. But I was so used to holding babies for all naps and cosleeping that I hadn't any clue how to teach a baby to sleep alone. Plus I wanted to enjoy as many baby snuggles as I could :heart, so I didn't bother trying to learn :shrug3.

WanderingJuniper 10-11-2014 04:49 PM

My middle was like that. She was simply easy to put to bed. She still is and she wake up quietly in the morning keeping to herself. Oldest? Hahahaha... Not at all. Fight to sleep. Woke the house when she woke up in the morning. Youngest was a little of both but had is own sleeping issues.

mamacat 10-12-2014 10:33 AM

They managed to get 2 like that,somehow! I think my 3rd may have been possible but didnt even have a crib until she was much older after experience with dc1 & dc2. She was totally content to sleep in a crib and sttn when older baby and probably would have been even sooner.

mrskellyray 10-19-2014 03:41 PM

My sweet girl will do that in bed with us, if I shut the light off while she is awake, she'll curl up and go to sleep.