Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Hospitality...tea and what food? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523123)

ChristmasGirl 06-20-2017 05:21 PM

Hospitality...tea and what food?

I would love to have a friend over, but I always get caught up in not knowing what to serve people if I invite them over :question I don't want that to stop me any more!!! I want to connect and branch out :yes

So the woman I want to invite this time is an older woman (60's), I hope to have her come mid-morning. I was planning on tea, sitting out on our patio and chatting. Would a bowl of mixed fruit be a good choice? Any other ideas? I want it to be simple, but showing good hospitality if that makes sense. I am gluten free, and I never know if others are, so I want something that doesn't scream "GLUTEN FREE" :shifty, but is safe just in case.

Thank you! :heart

Aerynne 06-20-2017 05:24 PM

Re: Hospitality...tea and what food?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristmasGirl (Post 6090715)
I would love to have a friend over, but I always get caught up in not knowing what to serve people if I invite them over :question I don't want that to stop me any more!!! I want to connect and branch out :yes

So the woman I want to invite this time is an older woman (60's), I hope to have her come mid-morning. I was planning on tea, sitting out on our patio and chatting. Would a bowl of mixed fruit be a good choice? Any other ideas? I want it to be simple, but showing good hospitality if that makes sense. I am gluten free, and I never know if others are, so I want something that doesn't scream "GLUTEN FREE" :shifty, but is safe just in case.

Thank you! :heart

Can you make a fruit salad and some gf muffins that don't scream gf? I think that's good for a morning visit.

JoyGal 06-20-2017 05:33 PM

I like to have a small plate of cookies on hand. I'm gf too and no one has minded :)

MegMarch 06-20-2017 05:40 PM

Mixed fruit sounds great. I wouldn't mind something savory as well, cheese slices and some almond or rice based crackers?

2sunshines 06-21-2017 02:54 AM

Mid morning tea and light snack sounds perfect. :heart Fruit is awesome. Or a simple muffin or breakfast cake.

And technically if you don't, don't let the lack of food service stop you. I often meet with ladies during the morning hours and it's just over coffee. :shrug3

:heart

Soliloquy 06-21-2017 02:12 PM

Mid-morning I wouldn't expect anything other than a beverage. But things that are easy and nice (just one):

Crackers and cheese
Fresh fruit (doesn't have to be mixed, just get whatever is in season)
Cookies
Muffins

Lena O. 06-22-2017 12:10 PM

I'd keep it simple. Tea and fruit or something like that. :yes

2sunshines 06-22-2017 02:54 PM

What day is this scheduled for? Just wondering what you decided to do and how it went. :heart

ViolaMum 06-22-2017 03:03 PM

Tea and fruit sounds lovely.

If you need more ideas, scones are super easy and fast to make. They tend to go over well, especially with my mom's generation. I've made GF versions for people who are not GF and they don't notice.

bananacake 06-22-2017 03:50 PM

We are GFDF, but my friends all LOVE my baked goods :shrug I would not think twice about serving something that is GF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2sunshines 06-22-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6091105)
We are GFDF, but my friends all LOVE my baked goods :shrug I would not think twice about serving something that is GF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Truthfully even my gluten eaters in my family prefer my gluten free baked goods. :shrug3 So I wouldn't worry about that. :heart