Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Need Ideas for a co-op class grades 1-3 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=428083)

tigerlily 10-26-2011 04:01 PM

Need Ideas for a co-op class grades 1-3

Or maybe grades K-2

I think they're looking for something from the core subjects, but not social studies since they have a few of those.

I'd need 12 lessons and I'd like something that wouldn't take hours to put together each week.

Any ideas?

AngelaVA 10-26-2011 04:39 PM

Re: Need Ideas for a co-op class grades 1-3

Lots of fun things that can be done with writing, depending on how much time you are spending with it could be one session to teach a project and work on it (maybe incorporate using different types of visual organizers including drawing), the next to share their work and and then repeat the cycle. You could do something that's "all about me" themed, fiction, non fiction, maybe a couple types of poems, a comic strip, writing riddles and knock knock jokes. Maybe in the end you could publish something with works from each student depending on budget and logistics.

tigerlily 10-26-2011 06:42 PM

I *think they offered that last semester -- not sure if they'd be looking for it again.:think

I like lots of options -- got any more for me?

I'd especially like to know if you've done a really awesome co-op class for that age that you wish everyone could take.:yes

Sweet Life 10-26-2011 08:13 PM

-Literature study. You could use something like Before Five in a Row (or, just google unit studies for your favorite great children's books for K-2) and do a short study of a book at each class. Allows you to add variety with acraft, snack, art, science, etc

-Math games. You could use math manipulatives and teach a new concept (or refresh for some kids) each week. Money math. Telling time. Using manipulatives to add, subtract, etc.

-Book study. Could you do a longer study of a single book? Like, do a read-aloud of Charlotte's Web and do activities around it each week? (Look online for activity ideas)

Science - My kids loved the Usborne Science with Air and Science with Water books at that age. You could choose a concept and an experiment to do each week. I especially loved these because most experiments used household materials.

Getting away from core curriculum a bit:

-Drawing with Children. Take a lesson a week from the book.

-Music study. Learn about a new musician each week, listen to their music, do a short activity.

-Lapbook. My kids have done a Fruit of the Spirit lapbook over the course of a semseter that was awesome. They learned a different 'fruit' each week. There are lots of lapbooking themes out there, at reasonable cost or free.