Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=404124)

Castle On A Cloud 04-05-2011 12:55 PM

Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

:sick

CelticJourney 04-05-2011 01:39 PM

The laws regarding corporal punishment are different for each state. I'm in South Carolina and my husband is in law enforcement, so I have access to the 'code' book. Here, believe it or not, it is illegal to strike a child anywhere but the bottom or with anything but the hand. Enforcement is a different issue. My point is 1) there is a legal foundation for prosecuting this couple depending on the laws of their state and 2) changing the laws does far less than changing the heart. We are in a battle for hearts and souls, not just or even predominately rules.

Cook 04-05-2011 02:16 PM

:cry This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod. This is sick. I have some bad business of abuse from my past but the idea that ANYONE could wrap their mind around that young of using physical infliction of pain to yield a behavior change... I'm ... I'm not sure at all what to think of that. I too had to pray for courage to spank in the name of Christianity. Oddly enough my own faith started to suffer greatly around that time :(

I also agree that laws don't stop people. But maybe this sort of extreme story *will* make people second guess their approach in any discipline situation.

Annainprogress 04-05-2011 03:12 PM

:sick :(

Hermana Linda 04-05-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook (Post 3815572)
:cry This really breaks my heart. Did I read correctly that the dad was quoted as saying 3 months old is an appropriate age to start spanking with a literal rod.

Actually, someone was quoted as saying that 1 and a half months was an appropriate age to use the rod. :sick

ClassicMom 04-05-2011 04:07 PM

I'm speechless... well, almost. The part that gave me chills was the father admitting to seeing bruises on the little girl's body, but then he would remember "Jesus died the most horrible death." :hunh And?! That is just twisted beyond anything I've ever heard.

I pray that little girl will be placed in a home where she will experience true love and grace.

BTW, does anyone know if she has been removed from her parents yet? One of the earlier news stories indicated that she and others are still with their parents, but I may have missed something in the past few days.

Katydid 04-05-2011 04:07 PM

Spanking 6 week old babies in the name of God? :sick I can only imagine how that much must sadden and disgust Him. :sad

Isn't it illegal in Canada to spank a child under the age of two? I think that would be a wonderful start here. :yes2

Sanveann 04-05-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonder Woman (Post 3814901)
Alexis - Hi! I haven't seen you around for a while :heart

Hi there! It's good to be back :)

mommy2abigail 04-05-2011 05:45 PM

This is :sick
John Caminiti told investigators in November he uses a rod or dowel on his two youngest children at home or at church and the scriptures make it clear his behavior is allowed.
He said he does not allow his family to communicate with people outside his religious beliefs and has punished his wife and son by shunning, or confining them to their rooms to have no contact with other family members, until they corrected their disobedience.

dulce de leche 04-05-2011 06:10 PM

Notice that the wife's status IRT punishment is the same level as the child's.

mommy2abigail 04-05-2011 06:22 PM

Yes. That's what made me :sick. Of course hitting babies does too. :mad

sarahbeth 04-05-2011 06:42 PM

This is nauseating. I know a girl that spanked her very tiny baby for crying and not being quiet in church. Only I think it was just with her hand, not an object. I know she did it with her first, not sure about her other two. She's "lucky" I suppose no one ever called CPS on her. :cry

I just can't believe this. And it's scary what you find out about people (Lori). :(

joyousTXmama 04-05-2011 11:02 PM

Thanks for posting that link. My heart feels crushed for those babies. I pray for the softening of their parents' hearts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleowl (Post 3814203)
I think it's time to make spanking against the law in the United States.

Absolutely agree.

I will tell anyone who asks - I flatly cannot stand to watch it. To me watching a parent hit a child is no different than if a man dragged his wife aside in public... and started hitting her.

100 years ago domestic violence was "private" and "their business" and "just a part of life". And I truly believe in another 100 years, spanking children will seem just as barbaric as that standard does to the majority today.

NewCovenantMama 04-06-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook (Post 3815572)
I too had to pray for courage to spank in the name of Christianity. Oddly enough my own faith started to suffer greatly around that time :(

I find this interesting. I'm planning a "position paper" on child discipline abuse and the false teachings which have enabled it to happen. OK if I reference this?

Cook 04-06-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCovenantMama (Post 3816799)
I find this interesting. I'm planning a "position paper" on child discipline abuse and the false teachings which have enabled it to happen. OK if I reference this?

Sure. You'll see on my About Me page that I believe there is a huge link also between a woman's intuition and her obedience with God. When we severe the lines of what God created us to do, we hurt our relationship with Him for sure.