Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   parenting books/courses (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=489423)

MercyInDisguise 09-07-2013 06:19 PM

parenting books/courses

I know there's been a million threads about stuff like this, but a friend (a nonposting member here! :poke) goes to a church that has recently taken Growing Kids God's Way out of their recommended curriculum. :woohoo They're looking for a parenting curriculum or book to offer, and were looking into Love and Logic :-/ but are open to other suggestions as well.

Ideas?

luvinmama 09-07-2013 06:25 PM

Re: parenting books/courses

Families where grace is in place, or grace based living by crystal? I think Danny silk has some good stuff too and is a Christian. :think

MercyInDisguise 09-07-2013 06:25 PM

Ooh, just remembered the Celebrate Calm stuff too. :tu

ruhama 09-08-2013 03:20 PM

Connected Families stuff looks good. I want my church to do it. Study guides are free online so you can look at the stuff. They don't focus on what not to do, but instead focus on building relationships, connecting and understanding the why of behavior.

http://connectedfamilies.org/

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

I second Families Where Grace is in Place - very good, but I don't know of study guides? Maybe they don't need them.

luvinmama 09-08-2013 06:30 PM

I think there's an updated version of families where grace is in place that includes a study guide. :think I'd do a search on amazon.

CelticJourney 09-11-2013 09:12 PM

Biblical Parenting by Crystal Lutton :D

ruhama 09-12-2013 10:41 AM

You know, I just can't read Crystal's writing style. It's such a short book and I still couldn't get through it. I've read a ton of other parenting books though and haven't had that problem. Families Where Grace is in Place was one I just FLEW through! :shrug3 Plus Biblical Parenting was expensive compared to the others. :shrug3

:twocents

Katigre 09-12-2013 11:25 AM

Look at stuff by turansky & Miller. Fwgiip is not really a "how to" book which is a weakness when doing a parenting class.

Love and logic isn't horrible and had some good tools, and it is applicable to both punitive and permissive families and is very practical. I can see why a church would want to do it.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Ellen 09-12-2013 11:34 AM

Turansky and Miller stuff is great. :tu Dh and I attended one of their seminars at a local church. They teach positive discipline, from a biblical framework, and they make it really practical.

CelticJourney 09-12-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruhama (Post 5460809)
You know, I just can't read Crystal's writing style. It's such a short book and I still couldn't get through it. I've read a ton of other parenting books though and haven't had that problem. Families Where Grace is in Place was one I just FLEW through! :shrug3 Plus Biblical Parenting was expensive compared to the others. :shrug3

She asked for suggestions. I gave mine. I am trying to ascribe positive intent to your comments, but they just seem deliberately unkind.

ArmsOfLove 09-12-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruhama (Post 5460809)

I didn't set the price for Biblical Parenting. I had literally no say in it.

Grace-Based Living is out and it's more reasonably priced - I had a say in that. There is a free downloadable study guide for both books on my site.

I'm really sorry you couldn't get into it. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not sure why you felt the need to add it to this discussion :-/, but you're certainly entitled to it :shrug3

flowermama 09-12-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Grace-Based Living is out and it's more reasonably priced - I had a say in that. There is a free downloadable study guide for both books on my site.
That is so cool there is a free downloadable study guide for both of your books on your site. :tu

Not all books will be a good fit for everyone, certainly. I love Families Where Grace is in Place; it's true it's not a how-to book, though. :think I like Celebrate Calm quite a lot, though they don't have a book (I wish they did), and they have CD's to listen to. I don't care for Love and Logic, personally, but it's one that I think my pastor likes, and I've read things Turansky and Miller have written that I don't really like, but I know they are helpful to many. For me, I like Crystal's stuff best, because her beliefs are most in-line with my own beliefs parenting-wise. I feel most comfy and safe and at home when reading what she has written. :heart And admittedly, I like them a lot, too, because she's my friend, and it's so encouraging reading the words of a dear friend. :hug

Quote:

a friend . . . goes to a church that has recently taken Growing Kids God's Way out of their recommended curriculum.
That is really so awesome!!! :clap

Ellen 09-12-2013 02:24 PM

Flowermama, I'm interested to know what you didn't like from Turansky and Miller, if you can remember.

flowermama 09-12-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellen (Post 5461159)
Flowermama, I'm interested to know what you didn't like from Turansky and Miller, if you can remember.

I'm afraid I don't remember. :O I think it was on their blog. :think If I do remember I'll let you know. :yes I should probably read more of their stuff so I can see the bigger picture. :)

ArmsOfLove 09-12-2013 02:34 PM

I was really helped by Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline - it's very concrete and is presented as a plan to change dynamics over time - but not really from a Christian perspective so that might be an issue for a church doing it :think