Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Food processor (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526235)

amommy23 10-24-2018 03:35 PM

Food processor

I’m not sure where to post this, so feel free to move if needed.
I need a new food processor. Does anyone have a suggestion? Mine (that was probably 15 years old) has broken beyond repair. I’d like one without too many extra parts. The lid of the one that broke had extra parts that had to fit together before it would start. I hated washing the extra pieces. I’d also like to keep the price within reason, maybe $50 or $60. However, I haven’t priced them in so long that might not be a reasonable goal. I use it mainly for salsa if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

sweetpeasmommy 10-24-2018 03:44 PM

Re: Food processor

I love my Cuisinart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparrow 10-24-2018 04:47 PM

I really like my Cuisinart too. I’m not sure how much they are in the US but in Canada the smallest one is about $100 on sale. In my experience the $50 to $60 ones don’t last very long

Soliloquy 10-24-2018 10:33 PM

I also love my Cuisinart.

If you like to make homemade mayo, make sure yours has a little hole in the cylinder of the top thingy. (how's that for great vocabulary. :giggle)

Costco has one right now. It comes with lots of extra parts but you could put those in storage or just get rid of them if you know you won't use them. The extra parts come with a very nice storage case. That's my complaint about extra parts, they tend to just clog up the drawer.

Virginia 10-25-2018 07:14 AM

I have a small $40 Cuisinart that I love, but I use it only a couple times a year :shifty
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CJNeeley 10-25-2018 08:53 AM

I do not, but I am following because I think I might need something myself...

Lately, I have had to spend hours chopping various veggies for meals (granted I have to make everything in quantities to feed 12 or more, but it's becoming excessively time-consuming and twice this week I was late with dinner because I was chopping from the time I finished lunch until the time I should have been finishing dinner... :blush I have contemplated breaking it up throughout the day, like I used to when I was sicker, but I still feel like the total hours spent is too much and I need a better way.)

knitlove 10-25-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 6160267)
I love my Cuisinart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. NY dad gave it to me for a birthday present 5 years ago, it is wonderful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

charla 10-25-2018 10:41 AM

I like the Ninja that has a pitcher with the motor mechanism on top. It only has three parts to wash - the pitcher, the blade and the lid. The only drawback is that it can double as a blender so have to be careful not to obliterate stuff you just wanted to chop. ;)

ViolaMum 10-25-2018 11:16 AM

Cuisinart!

Cook's Illustrated rates the Cuisinart (Model:DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor) as their top pick. It's about $160 on Amazon. It's what I have and it's fabulous. It comes with the standard s-shaped blade plus a grating disc and a slicer disc. You can buy more types of discs and blades if you need them, but I hardly use anything but the standard blade. I bought it to replace a 10 year old discontinued KitchenAid that I had previously loved but worked to death. This one gets used multiple times per week. (The blades stay sharper if you hand wash, btw.)

The Breville Sous Chef 12-cup food processor is rated after the Cuisinart, then a Black and Decker Performance Food Processor. The other Cuisinarts (smaller models) are all Recommended With Reservations. CI doesn't rate the new Kitchen Aid very highly despite it's new technology - it's in the Not Recommended line up along with Oster and Hamilton Beach.

amommy23 10-25-2018 01:42 PM

This has all been very helpful.
Thank you all so much!

2sunshines 10-25-2018 05:35 PM

Let us know what you decide on!

amommy23 12-29-2018 01:27 PM

I ended up getting a Cuisinart Elemental 11 Cup. I waited and got it as Christmas gift. I love it. Thanks for all the Cuisinart recommendations.