Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   How long do allergy shiners last? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526499)

The Tickle Momster 01-03-2019 06:57 PM

How long do allergy shiners last?

I noticed about a week ago (might have had them longer) that Munchkin (10) had some serious allergy shiners. He looked like he had 2 healing black eyes and his lower lids were puffy. I suspect he is allergic to the Christmas tree we had. How long, in general, does it take for them to go away? They are still visible, but lessening. We took the tree out on Tuesday.

Singingmom 01-04-2019 08:23 AM

Re: How long do allergy shiners last?

In my experience, shiners were more of a chronic thing, so it's nice that you've identified the cause. I would expect them to continue gradually fading. I'll be interested to know how quickly that happens.

The Tickle Momster 01-04-2019 09:19 AM

Thanks. I'm hoping that's the cause. I know my older dd is allergic to many types of trees. It's unfortunate since we live in the woods. I'm guessing it's the tree since they both started sniffling more than normal and sneezing too. Not full colds or full allergies. Kind of a low grade thing, iykwim.

I'll try to remember to come back & update.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

sweetpeasmommy 01-04-2019 02:57 PM

How long do allergy shiners last?

Is it above freezing there? We noticed an increase in allergy symptoms but not shiners with the Christmas tree too. It’s gone now but it’s also been warm, my rose bush has leaves on it in January! Lots of tree allergies and we live in National Forest land. C takes two antihistamines year round but he’s also been having to use a steroid nasal spray which he doesn’t normally have to use in winter.

If you aren’t using an antihistamine, then I would try adding that. I don’t know if it helps the shiners go away faster, he usually only has shiners at the peak of tree season anymore but then again he takes meds year round. If you prefer something more natural, liver support is usually helpful. My understanding of shiners is that the histamine load is too high and the body can’t keep up with eliminating it fast enough. Drink lots of water too as most histamine is eliminated through urine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tickle Momster 01-04-2019 03:16 PM

That is really helpful. :yes It is above freezing, 51 today. We have some natural allergy support he takes spring and summer. I'm having him take that. I'll definitely have him up his water. Shouldn't be too hard, he guzzles everything.