Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Tomatoes.... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423948)

shaslove 09-18-2011 10:48 PM

Tomatoes....

If I cut another one, I'm going to turn into one!! I'm tomatoed out!! And I still have prob 20lbs in the fridge!!!

luvinmama 09-19-2011 01:27 AM

Re: Tomatoes....

I love canning tomatoes! I totally miss not being able to do that here in China....enjoy it for me. :)

Housekat 09-19-2011 02:10 AM

We harvested a grand total of TWO small tomatoes from our plants this year. So I am slilghtly green with envy here :)

abbiroads 09-19-2011 05:38 AM

I chopped them in the food processor. I need more because I ran out of fermented salsa and I don't know if I can ferement the ones I froze.

shaslove 09-19-2011 07:03 AM

I bought some, (20 lbs) but I have gotten maybe 50 lbs from my garden. :) it's just a lot of work!!!

WanderingJuniper 09-19-2011 07:09 AM

I hear ya! I am thankfully on my last batch of salsa this week. It's alot of work but there is something about it that draws my kids to the kitchen to want to help and I just :heart that. :D

Do you need resources or just lamenting the overabundance of tomatoes at the moment? :)

swimming with sharks 09-19-2011 07:12 AM

I've got a box I need to do today! :tu and a box of peaches!

Macky 09-19-2011 07:42 AM

I'm about ready to huck my new pressure canner out the window. :mad I've been canning tomatoes for a years now and I've never had a problem with the boiling water bath. I got the PC as a birthday gift because I wanted to can some low-acid stuff, but I thought I'd try it out with some familiar things, too, like tomatoes. Nearly every jar has something wrong with it. Either it's siphoning or the tomatoes are disintigrating or it just plain doesn't seal at all. In a decade of canning for me now, I've only ever had two jars not seal... until this blasted pressure canner came along. I don't get it and I'm not sacrificing any more lovely toms to the thing. :mad

We've got boxes and boxes full still to ripen. :) I have no idea how many pounds are there.

RiverRock 09-19-2011 07:47 AM

If you are tired of canning them, you can make a delicious roasted tomato sauce for the freezer. This is what I do with garden tomatoes when they start coming in fast.

In a 9x13 pan (two fit in my oven at a time) put tomatoes, garlic cloves, and onion quarters that have been separated a bit. Drizzle it all with EVOO and some salt and pepper. Add in some herbs if you have them and want to get fancy. Roast until caramalized and soft. Whir in the food processer and then freeze in portions. Easy and delicious!