Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   If you had a chronically constipated child... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446051)

Kiara.I 04-13-2012 01:47 PM

If you had a chronically constipated child...

like from babyhood on, and you'd be willing to talk to another mom about your experiences...

I'm on another couple of parenting sites, and there's a woman going through this with her 3 year old. He's been on laxatives since 5 months old.

She'd like to hear from other moms, and has given me her e-mail address to pass on to moms who can talk to her about this. She's also wondering about the process of a barium enema with a child.

PM me if you're willing.

mwwr 04-13-2012 03:46 PM

Re: If you had a chronically constipated child...

My ds 17yo has been on laxatives since he was 7mo and started solids. His constipation is due to cerebral palsy resulting frome prematurity. He is learning to manage the constipation through improved diet, but the CP means he will always have to pay attention to things. I'd be happy to talk to a mom needing encouragement.

NovelMama 04-13-2012 08:03 PM

Wasn't my dc, but my friend's dd was constipated practically since birth, and they realized it was food allergies. One of the biggies was citric acid, and since they'd been giving lots of fruit juice when she was a toddler, that made it way worse. With chronic issues of any kind, I would look at allergies.

DancingWithElves 04-13-2012 08:14 PM

my dd was, from a few months of age, even when EBF :-/ she is much better now, but only after we went on GAPS. but that (gaps) is not a can of worms i enjoy talking about to people, unless they really really wanna know.

saturnfire16 04-13-2012 09:29 PM

My corn allergic child has suffered from constipation, though I didn't know that was one of the possible symptoms until recently. Calcium Magnesium supplements have helped a ton. As long as she takes it daily, more than the normal dose, she is fine.

mountainash 04-14-2012 12:25 AM

Agreeing w/ previous posters--Allergies. :-/ I'm wondering if constipation is as common with other allergies as with corn?

mamacat 04-14-2012 05:50 AM

you can also get into a laxative dependant cycle that creates more constipation.would she stop laxatives for a bit and try to do things like epsom salt baths and probiotics and gut healing things? I wouldnt do any barium enemas - those can really make things worse.Lots of fluids too

newday 04-14-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 4573998)
you can also get into a laxative dependant cycle that creates more constipation.would she stop laxatives for a bit and try to do things like epsom salt baths and probiotics and gut healing things? I wouldnt do any barium enemas - those can really make things worse.Lots of fluids too

the only thing i would add to this is that she would not really "stop" with treatment, but wean off of it.
Don't you think, mamacat?
But, yes, I agree with this as well as previous posters that allergies are probably the root.

mamacat 04-14-2012 06:40 AM

Yes I would while replacing laxatives with healthier kinds of "laxatives" :yes