Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Bottle feeding kittens.... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522661)

CelticJourney 04-23-2017 08:19 AM

Bottle feeding kittens....

My db called last night and they have four kittens under their porch. Storms coming in. I've never bottle fed before. Advice?

houseforjoy 04-23-2017 11:39 AM

Re: Bottle feeding kittens....

Try not to die from cuteness overload:shifty:giggle

In seriousness tho, is the mama gone? Or does she come back? I'd call a local shelter and just ask what the recommend u do as far as interventions. I don't know the level of storms, but if mama kitty is around she might move them, or there might be a way to make existing porch spot a bit safer/drier/warmer

CelticJourney 04-23-2017 12:06 PM

Db thinks mama is gone - ferel cat. They think that is why they just started hearing them cry.

They have their eyes open and are walking/climbing well. They have teeth coming in but a still trying to suckle.

Oh, my the scene we made at Pet Smart! The number of workers and customers trying to help us get them fed etc. They have FINALLY stopped crying and are asleep ... on the dog bed of course.

My mom has offered to finance the rescue :giggle No way I could do this without my girls being older and at home :rockon

Singingmom 04-23-2017 02:24 PM

:hearts

What do your dogs think of all this?

Mother of Sons 04-23-2017 03:22 PM

It's not hard. They have to be fed every couple of hours but you also have to make them pee and poop by using a wet washcloth to simulate the mother licking them. If you don't do this after every feeding they can die. Just saw that they aren't newborns so they may be last needing that.

JessicaTX 04-23-2017 04:25 PM

don't lay them on their backs to bottle feed, they need to be on their tummies.

CelticJourney 04-23-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6080237)
:hearts

What do your dogs think of all this?

The one we thought would be easiest picked one up and gave it a little toss. I think the issue was not that they were cats but that they were on her bed

bananacake 04-23-2017 04:36 PM

I'm waiting for pictures :shifty :heart :giggle

CelticJourney 04-23-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6080255)
I'm waiting for pictures :shifty :heart :giggle

All I can get right now looks like a black mass of fur

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaTX (Post 6080253)
don't lay them on their backs to bottle feed, they need to be on their tummies.

They won't take the nipple so we are using a dropper and end up holding them straight up. They are also taking soft food watered down

CelticJourney 04-26-2017 09:31 AM

Progress is being made :)

Some will take the bottle and we aren't sure if it's the particular bottle (we have a mix of what the rescue lady loaned us) or the baby because when they are hungry, it's hard to keep up with who does what.

One problem is that one of the kittens hasn't had a bowel movement yet. Rescue lady said to all her if he hadn't gone by day five. She also gave us some dewormer that I just gave them this last feeding. Human mama would give human baby a nice warm bath, but not sure kitten baby would appreciate that. But someone did have a bowl movement in the box last night, so that's something.

Man o man can they climb! To be so little, they are strong. They are getting over the trauma of being taken by the 'big monsters' and getting comfortable with us and starting to explore and cuddle just a bit.

The rescue lady said we were doing great - ap apparently crosses over the species line:giggle

Baby kitten question: does purring always mean contentment? They will purr and then yell at us:shifty That might mean 'I'm happily going to tell you off just to keep you on your toes' :giggle

sweetpeasmommy 04-26-2017 11:41 AM

It doesn't always mean happiness but usually. Animals without a mama ar usually a lot noisier than with a mama who would make them settle down, nurse and go to sleep. You can try to massage the bottom with a warm wet cloth and see if that stimulates a BM. If that doesn't help, ask your rescue lady if a small warm water enema would help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CelticJourney 04-27-2017 11:32 AM

Something I would never have imagined I would be saying, but "yeah! for pooping kitten!'. We put a litter box in with them last night and someone has used it (not related to the previously non-pooping kitten).