Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Review of To Train Up a Child on Challies.com (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=456004)

MrsHutch 07-30-2012 09:22 AM

Review of To Train Up a Child on Challies.com

Tim Challies, popular conservative Christian blogger (at least he's very popular in my circles) just posted the first part of a review of TTUAC. I'm THRILLED that he's getting the word out about this awful book!

http://www.challies.com/book-reviews/how-not-to-train-up-a-child

A friend of mine at church just started passing this book around and recommending it to new moms. Our pastor was actually the one who I saw linked to Challies's review (although our pastor said that his wife did enjoy the practical aspects of the book and we should take the meat and leave the bones :rolleyes).

If you have Southern Baptist friends, Challies is very influential and will hopefully help open people's eyes to the dangers of the Pearls' teachings.

katiekind 07-30-2012 09:33 AM

Re: Review of To Train Up a Child on Challies.com

Very happy to see this!

keepinghome 07-30-2012 10:34 AM

I shared it on fb with the quote from the book he has at the bottom. I know at least a couple of my friends have read it/use it(?). I read it several years ago, but didn't remember it being THAT disturbing. :( I still have a copy that I'd love to dissect with a red pen and angry marks! lol I always just hope nobody comments when I post controversial things, it gives me anxiety to be in debates lol and I usually end up letting other people debate for me. :blush

ETA: looks like all my crunchy friends have scared off the TTUAC-ers.

MrsHutch 07-30-2012 12:21 PM

A friend just told me he also has a good review (aka a bad review... good in that we would like it :giggle) of Babywise and links to TulipGirl: http://www. challies.com/general-news/babywise-other-ezzo-nonsense

ETA: Challies does recommend SACH, but refuting Pearl and Ezzo is a BIG step in the right direction for his audience.

gardenfreshmama 07-31-2012 03:58 AM

Yeah, I was just going to say, he gives a GLOWING review of SACH. :doh I appreciated the review of TTUAC though. :yes

Calliope 07-31-2012 04:56 AM

Tim is pretty solid thinker who's not afraid to stand up against things he doesn't see as right. He may come around on SACH.

ThreeKids 07-31-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calliope (Post 4774504)
Tim is pretty solid thinker who's not afraid to stand up against things he doesn't see as right. He may come around on SACH.

That's what I'm going to be praying intensely for, for him and other solid thinkers for whom it's time to take a stand on SACH. I know personally that getting past that paradigm hump with this issue sometimes has to be a Holy Spirit thing.

MrsHutch 07-31-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeKids (Post 4774511)
That's what I'm going to be praying intensely for, for him and other solid thinkers for whom it's time to take a stand on SACH. I know personally that getting past that paradigm hump with this issue sometimes has to be a Holy Spirit thing.

I really don't ever see that happening in my circle (which is also Tim's circle of influence). SACH is practically sacred... second only to the Bible (and just barely so). Having read it, I honestly can see why, because it's got a lot of good stuff in it. And when you don't question the "how to spank" part because that's all you've ever known, then what's not to love about it?

I'm just saying... don't hold your breath. ;) I'm just thankful he's speaking out against the Pearls and Ezzo.

Rugayatu 07-31-2012 06:13 AM

I actually emailed him yesterday after reading his SACH review and just said briefly that while I appreciate a lot of stuff Tripp says about reaching a child's heart in the first section of the book, his "discipline" sections, especially the spanking part, really seemed like a disconnect to me. His SACH review is 6 years old and I asked him if his opinion was still the same. He actually replied quite quickly and said he hasn't read the book in years and should probably go back and read it again. :tu

ThreeKids 07-31-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugayatu (Post 4774570)
He actually replied quite quickly and said he hasn't read the book in years and should probably go back and read it again.

That's to at "t" the response I got from someone else who I'm hoping may be ready to reconsider. I do think sometimes people can feel so surrounded by only one way of thinking, that the still, small voice that says something's not right here doesn't get the audience it should. The feeling can be that there just is no other way to consider so they can't put their finger on what it is that's not right. I'm hoping that need to place that still, small voice is the source behind the quick admission that a re-read is in order.

But just one little hint that they are not completely surrounded by just that one thought I'm hoping can tip the scales toward realizing there is another way to consider.

---

I don't mean this at all for people who will be cowed by the consequences of standing up against SACH. There are communities where they will be steep, there are communities where they won't be. But there are those who have shown they will stand for what's right despite the consequences. Those are the people I pin hope for change on.

daughter_of_faith 07-31-2012 06:37 AM

Is there a decoder somewhere? ;)

SACH?

MrsHutch 07-31-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daughter_of_faith (Post 4774589)
Is there a decoder somewhere? ;)

SACH?

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp.

Hermana Linda 08-01-2012 12:48 PM

Here is some info to share with people about why you don't like SACH. Also check out the links here.

Elyse221 03-24-2015 04:28 AM

I've never read much from Tim Challies, but I came across his article "18 Things I Will Not Regret Doing With My Kids" (http://www. challies.com/ articles/18-things-i-will-not-regret-doing-with-my-kids) and thought it was excellent. On #8, "Disciplining", he mentions lost privileges, stern talking-tos, and time alone in room, which are often used punitively, but can have a place in GBD homes as well. I was glad to see no mention of spanking at all.

MariJo7 03-26-2015 01:33 AM

What I found most horryfying about SACH was the way, how spanking was turned in a kind of a sacrament. I can relate to a mom or dad who gets upset and spanks a kid because of breaking a window or because of stealing apples from the neighbors garden or putting pine cones in the teachers shoes. I mean, I do not recommend it either, there are much better ways to deal with pranks like that. But in such cases, spanking is not a "holy" thing. It is just a very mundane reaction to a very mundane prank.
What really gives me the creeps is this God-heart-spanking-connection. I believe this "holy" spanking is very, very damaging, much more damaging than a "normal, mundane" spanking (which is of course damaging as well).