Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breakfast *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=543)
-   -   Baked Oatmeal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=418235)

3boysforme 07-29-2011 08:28 AM

Baked Oatmeal

Anyone have a good recipe? One my kid might be willing to try?

MomtoJGJ 07-29-2011 08:53 AM

Re: Baked Oatmeal

My kids eat a cinnamon raisin one I make. I beat a bunch of eggs, like 6?, add in a little milk, a little bit of brown sugar and some cinnamon. Beat again. Then I mix in some oats and raisins until it will fill up a 9x13 casserole dish, sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake at 350 until done.... toothpick test. Let cool and cut into bars.

PrincessAnika 07-29-2011 10:02 AM

from my mom
Quote:

Baked Oatmeal

2 eggs, beaten
1 C milk
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix together thoroughly. Stir in 3 C quick oatmeal and 1/2 C raisins. Pour into a greased 8 X 12 baking dish. Bake at 350 for approximately 25-30 min. Serve warm with milk.

That is the recipe as published in my mennonite cookbook. How we actually make it is to sub applesauce for the oil, use only 2/3 C brown sugar, skip the salt, add a dash of nutmeg in with the first section of ingredients, and skip the raisins. So, adjust it to your liking and see how things go.
i like it without milk. you can add almost anything - fruit, nuts, etc. the other recipe she sent me is
Quote:

Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal

3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
extra milk for serving

Mix all ingredients together and stir well. Spread in a greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. If you like it a little crunchy on top cook for a few minutes longer. Serve with warm milk poured over top. Enjoy!

(i used regular oats and it worked fine)

would also be good with a few mini chocolate chips mixed in.
also, you can make in muffin tins instead of the big pan, for individual and/or on-the-go servings.

3boysforme 07-29-2011 10:06 AM

I will have to try some this weekend. I know raisins are out, but chocolate chips would definitely make them appealing.

SweetCaroline 07-29-2011 10:41 AM

so. does it make like an oatmeal cookie square type thing? or..why do you bake it and then put milk on top? hows it different than just a bowl of oatmeal. obviously its baked but..ya know.
i've often wondered about baked oatmeal..:scratch i wanna try it..but :scratch

sorry. im such a spazz.

Drummer'sWife 07-29-2011 10:47 AM

Curious, too. I don't like the texture of oatmeal cooked the traditional way, but like it made into granola, or in cookies, or muffin, or whatever. Does everyone eat baked oatmeal with milk on top or can it be eaten just as-is? I like to have higher-protein breakfasts, so I like MomtoJGC's recipe with lots of eggs, but I also like the sounds of the PB one. Wonder if I could combine the two?

PrincessAnika 07-29-2011 11:06 AM

its delish!! not at all like a cookie. its kinda more....like a cake (or thick brownie) with oats instead of flour, if that makes sense. its crumbly, esp once its cooled off, so some people like it warm with milk so its more like a hot&cold soft cereal; and its not goopy like regular oatmeal. http://www.cookingforseven.com/2011/...baked-oatmeal/ has a good pic of what it looks like in the bowl :drool

great, now imma have to go make some with PB and chocolate chips. :giggle

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

elena - my family doesn't like it with milk. its delish plain too!!

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

oh, and my mom has done ones with butterscotch chips, chunked apples, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, nuts, and etc - so you can usually find some sort of add-in your family will like.

SweetCaroline 07-29-2011 11:21 AM

umm. that sounds good. i've been avoiding oatmeal for a while because of this mystery belly ache i was getting for a long time..anyhoo..the kids still eat it- i'll try it :)

Drummer'sWife 07-29-2011 11:28 AM

Okay, I'll try it! :)

SweetCaroline 07-30-2011 05:02 AM

ok.. i did it this morning! super tasty! heres the recipe i used.. its a healthy version
  • <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="73">4 cups quick oats<LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="78">2 eggs (beaten) <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="83">1/4 cup oil <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="88">1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="93">1/4 cup brown sugar <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="98">1/2 cup applesauce (or 1 mashed banana) <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="103">1 teaspoon cinnamon <LI class=ingredient sizcache="43" sizset="108">1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Change Measurements: US | Metric

1 Mix together oil, sugar and eggs.
  1. 2 Add rest of the ingredients and thoroughly mix together.
  2. 3 Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in a greased glass 9 x 12 pan
  3. 4 Serve warm and it is delicious topped with milk and bananas or with yogurt, berries, and other fruit.
i used the banana, and stirred in some walnuts. it was quick too, since my kids are begging for breakfast when they wake up -this wasnt too long to wait :)

oh no..what happened. i'll have to fix this later