Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Family Command Center (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527376)

SewingGreenMama 07-13-2019 12:57 PM

Family Command Center

I"m creating a Family command center. I need somewhere I can place my plans and get some feedback.
I have a 5' by 4' section of wall I can use, It is between my bathroom and Kitchen doors in the middle of the house where I will walk by it regularly.
  • I want a dry erase board calander, vynal planner stickers I can reuse again and again.
  • A year at a glance calander for this year and 2020.
  • Lots of Cork Board for putting up weekly meal plan, flyers for local events, business cards, and other random things.
  • I want a chalk board for quotes because they are pretty and I can't get my brain to let go of the idea of using chalk, I was thinking about a chalk board calander, but I can't use the vynal stickers on it... so quote or verse board it is ... or maybe I'll chalk out the year at a glance calanders too!!!!!
  • A place for pencils, pens, scissors, markers, erasers, thumb tacks, and chalk.
  • A mail organizer, - unopend, -action required, -to be filed
  • A place for my 2 youngers kids to have access to their laminated visual routines (that I WILLmake this weekend!!! :shifty :hiding )

This is a start :think:lol
I'm ADHD, I need to see things, all the things, which is why so much of it will be cork :yes

knitlove 07-13-2019 02:47 PM

Re: Family Command Center

I decided that I do better with a huge whiteboard and magnets. After stepping on a pushpin ( because I had tried to hold too much up with it) in my old house I decided it was magnets for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SewingGreenMama 07-13-2019 03:29 PM

I might be able to do some sheet metal mounted on the wall.
I'll have to look at pricing.
My dad could mount it for me. He worked with sheet metal for years.
Lots of magnets space. Just have to invest in magnets.
Where did you find magnets?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

knitlove 07-13-2019 03:34 PM

I found strong magnet at office supply stores that are designed to go on white boards.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I love the look ofpush pins.i just have come to the realization that I don't do well with them.

Lady Grey 07-13-2019 07:57 PM

You can also get clips with good magnets. We like those a lot on the fridge.

knitlove 07-13-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 6186212)
You can also get clips with good magnets. We like those a lot on the fridge.

Yes! I have some that I can hold up 10+ sheets of paper!

WanderingJuniper 07-14-2019 05:07 AM

I’m another who does better with magnets. I have ones that have hooks on them and ones that are clips. We got all of them from Harbor Freight for super cheap. The books hold the container I keep our pens in (each family member has their own colored pen so when something is added to the family calendar we know at a glance who that event belongs to) I also use the books to hold keys that are less used (shed keys, our neighbors spare, the mower etc) the clips are what a I use for menus, shopping lists, weekly overviews.

I love the look of cork and chalk but I loose pins and the chalk dust creates more cleaning than I want. So we have a whiteboard, shelf with “mailboxes” for my kids and a small cork section to hold things that are not to be lost but need to be used in the future like concert tickets, vouchers etc.

We have to tweak our mail sorting system which is a big reason I’m following along. It’s gotten out of hand.,

ViolaMum 07-14-2019 11:06 AM

I have a wall that I painted with magnetic primer and then used chalkboard paint over it. My experience, just in case you're tempted:

The magnetic primer will hold only magnets. Rare earth magnets work reasonably well, as do the magnet sheets (like bumper stickers), and larger, stronger pretty magnets. It will not hold notices up on the wall, even when those magnets will hold papers on the fridge. It was SUPER stinky to paint. If you have anyone with breathing issues, only use it when you can have the windows open for hours at a time. I think I did two coats and had to let them dry overnight with fans on. (I painted last summer and it was extremely hot. Not a good time to do it!)

I wish I had read the instructions on the chalkboard paint more closely as well because I can't use chalk markers on the paint. We have to use actual chalk which leaves a LOT of dust on the floor. We started off writing schedules and then quotes from books and things we were learning on the wall, but traded that in for a pen and small notebook that hangs out somewhere in the living room. (It would be on the coffee table if we had one.) Schedules go back on the paper calendar hanging further down the hall.

The wall is getting redone this month. We like the charcoal color of the wall, so I'm repainting the entire hallway black or super dark gray, then putting up white commercial metal notice boards. Wall Pops makes good quality vinyl dry-erase, chalkboard, and calendar stickers that are removable if you are so inclined. I'd rather have a frame of some sort so that the kids do't end up writing on the painted wall. Secunda wants a cork board with tacks and string (so that she can keep track of book characters in a series we're reading :giggle) but I'm trying to convince her that magnets will be just as good. I've stepped on more than my fair share of Legos. :ph I've sewn through my finger (twice! but only once requiring an ER trip. :bag) with the sewing machine. I don't need to pull thumbtacks out of my feet.

tempus vernum 07-15-2019 12:54 PM

Pictures? I’m intrigued