Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Preserving fruit without added sugar? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=506636)

Hannah Elise 07-08-2014 10:07 AM

Preserving fruit without added sugar?

I want to preserve our black-caps... and then later this season, can peaches and pears... but we are starting on GAPS and the only legal sweetener is honey. Even then, I'd like to keep the level somewhat low, because we battle candida. So. What are some good recipes for preserving that don't involve adding sugar?

I have made applesauce in the past, always unsweetened, but wasn't sure what my options were for berries, peaches and pears.

Kiara.I 07-08-2014 10:24 AM

Re: Preserving fruit without added sugar?

Peaches can both canned in water. :yes You just have to make sure you have a good recipe, and I think we added a bit of lemon juice to each jar. I'm sure pears would be similar.

For berries you could always freeze them, if you have a chest freezer. We freeze lots of berries, we put them on cookie sheets to freeze and then dump them into freezer bags after they're frozen (so they don't mush together.)

The Tickle Momster 07-08-2014 12:29 PM

I haven no experience with not using sugar. In my searching in the past, I came across the book Putting it up with Honey. It might have some good information for you.

Dovenoir 07-08-2014 01:50 PM

We always made freezer preserves with only a little citric acid. Peaches, pears, blackberries, raspberries, and apples (chunky applesauce) We'd mash berries into the container so we'd have syrup when we thawed them for various uses.

ReedleBeetle 07-08-2014 01:56 PM

I did some and they were ok for a while, but didn't stay well preserved nearly as long. You need sugar, salt, or acid to help foods keep, and if you don't have enough of one of those, you can run into problems.

houseforjoy 07-08-2014 02:24 PM

I would freeze the berries and peaches (cut them in half, pit, then put on a cookies sheet to freeze then place in zip bags or food saver bags if you have them) no idea on black caps since i don't know what they are:shifty and then i would make pear sauce with the pears, or slice them dip in water and lemon juice and freeze.