Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   ETLDTD - week 4, day 1, 7/21/8 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=262400)

tempus vernum 07-21-2008 04:35 AM

ETLDTD - week 4, day 1, 7/21/8

Wow, we are on week 4 already :jawdrop

Attitude shift: harnessing the power of unity
Reason: to focus on connecting instead of trying to be special
Discipline skill: encouragement
Discipline value: inter dependence

Reading -- Challenge -- p 264 to 265

Check the Weekly reading
Challenge - p 264 to 265
Power of unity
Intro to skill of Encouragement - p 58 and 59
Chapter on encouragement p 121 to p 163

What are you goals for the week? :think

Share your successes and your failures :heart :heart

tempus vernum 07-21-2008 04:45 AM

Re: ETLDTD - week 4, day 1, 7/21/8

A few comments on last weeks last thread - I am still catching up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praise
:doh I say "I want" all the time too! I'm finding that being assertive is requiring that I change at a deep level. My family always half-joked that I was "bossy" and I think I've tried very hard to not wear that label. So hard, that I think I have swung to the opposite end of the spectrum. It feels wrong (like I'm being a drill sargent) to command my kids, even though I know that that is my job.

:hugheart This is such a hard transition. By always saying "You need" before a "directive" you are giving kind clean cut directions. By speeching in a normal tone of voice and keeping eye contact on the child, you are making sure your words have meaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber
So has anyone come up with a good way to get their dh's to stop being passive and move towards being more assertive with the kids? My dh is sooooo passive in his wording of things. It drives me bonkers because the kids don't respond to it very well. I know he is trying to be "nice", but it is so confusing to the kids when he asks "Cole, why don't you come help me clear the table" and Cole says "No" then he changes it to "No, Cole. You need to come help."

I have told my dh directly - "when you ask them instead of tell them (or say "I want you to _________), it sounds like you are giving them an option to say no. I hear you saying "Come to the dinner table"." and if he's not in a bad mood he accepts that and actually turns around and says "come to the dinner table."

Honestly, my dh even corrected me yesterday :tu. I was lecturing instead of directing :doh and he stopped me. I had told him I was working on it :tu

It felt like a major victory :ptl because we tend to unintentionally be passive agressive with one another - it's how we were raised :bheart . It's about minor things but we are working to not treat one another that way and it's really improving. To hear him recognize something I was doing that was not a parenting ideal we share, really felt AWESOME :heart :heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shnooky
I am :jawdrop I had a baby checkup at the hospital today and I took the kids they were so good! Ketia walked with the pram from the carpark to the hospital (unlike last time when she ran away), and she sat on the seat or on the floor next to the pram while we were waiting for the appointment, I had a packet of chips for them to share, Ata sat in the pram. And we read some books and watched the Pope's plane take off on the TV. And then when I went into the appointment they both played with the toys in the doctors office and then they BOTH packed up when they were told, and we walked calmly back to the car and came home! :jawdrop

:woohoo :congrats I bet that felt AMAZING! :heart :heart

tempus vernum 07-21-2008 05:12 AM

I just went through my goals from each week and reviewed the threads to see my weaknesses. I found (and I bet many of you have this in common with me) that my worst days are when I don't get enough sleep :blush ). This week is going to be a challenge. i have been sacrificing sleep for workout time. MY triathalon is this weekend so I have been staying up till all hours of the night or getting up super early to run :yawn I slept in today till 6am = turned off the alarm when it went off at 4 because i was just too tire.d I was feeling guilty until I re-read some of the threads here - now I am :phew and :ptl

SO I put that as number one goal :)

Week 4 goals
*get enough sleep
*consistently maintain my composure with my children
*give positive intent to dh and be assertive with dh
*consistently maintain my composure with my children
*read cheat sheets practicing the power of self control, 10 todos for positive discipline and other notes 1 time a day
*engage with my children - live in the moment
*spend 5 minutes with each child ALONE every day
*add goodnight ritual to our bedtime routine
*keep parenting face to face rather than over the shoulder - use nonverbal communication w/verbal AFTER HAVING child’s attention
*give directives rather than asking my kids "what are you supposed to be doing right now?" or "what did I ask you to do" -

today’s goals (these are the same as last week :doh) so I really want to do these :pray4
1. add “there’s no time like the present” end of each discipline skill chapter to cheat sheets
2. add p 77 to cheat sheets and continue to drop 2 beliefs from column A, pick up 2 from Column B
3. print cheat sheets, note cards, and positive discipline 2 todos

The Tickle Momster 07-21-2008 07:14 AM

I'm here. :) Haven't done last weeks reading yet.

Looking at the info for this week. . . it's gonna be a hard one. Connecting is something I really struggle with. To top it off, it's VBS week so we'll be getting out of the house by 8:30 every morning. (I get to come home with just Toby for 3 hours though. Looking forward to that. :yes ) Not sure what reentry will be like each afternoon. I'm planning lunches to be cold salads that I can just pull from the fridge and serve. That will be helpful.

Amber 07-21-2008 09:13 AM

This week is going to be a busy on for us. We are going on our first camping trip of the summer this weekend, and I usually feel rushed and stressed before something like this just trying to get everything together.

On a positive note. I had a date with Cole on Saturday and it was really fun. I was tempted to rush him through the morning to get dressed etc...but I sat back, took a deep breath and remembered that today was going to be about fun. I was able to change my approach and get him dressed and out the door.

Since this week will be busy, my main goal is to continue working on connecting with the boys and parenting face to face.

MamaMansa 07-21-2008 09:15 AM

This week I want to let go of being "right" :O and concentrate on connecting. I also want to spend individual time with each child daily, doing something they want to do, even if it's something I don't like (ie. Monopoly). :lol

In general, I feel like things are going well here. :heart More later....

Praise 07-21-2008 03:25 PM

Finally! Something I do naturally! :phew Spending time playing, connecting with, and encouraging my kids is a strength of mine. Will read the chapter, though, just in case I'm missing something, which is probably the case. :giggle

Radosny Matka 07-21-2008 07:11 PM

:phew Caught up on the reading. :phew Just wanted to pop in and say I'm still here. :)

Jodi - yes, when I don't get enough sleep, it ain't pretty. :blush I was up last night due to a major thunderstorm. It kept me awake when we kept losing and getting power. Then we were without power and it got too hot to sleep until it went back on at 2 in the morn. :blah I'm heading to bed and will be back tomorrow.

Oh ya - yes, I do want another week to finish the chapters. Acutally, I want to start back again at week 1 and do it all over again - to help reinforce. :shifty

tempus vernum 07-22-2008 04:21 AM

week 4, day 2 is posted :)