Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Any tips for getting "pandemic EBT" for homeschoolers? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529316)

deena 02-05-2021 05:26 PM

Any tips for getting "pandemic EBT" for homeschoolers?

The government is giving a small stipend to low income distance learners in lieu of free or reduced school lunches. I called to see if homeschoolers could get it but the woman had never heard of homeschooling. :doh I don't think homeschoolers can get it but thought I'd ask here in case anyone here has a tip.

Soliloquy 02-05-2021 05:29 PM

Re: Any tips for getting "pandemic EBT" for homeschoolers?

Is this a federal or state program?

Unless this is who you already called, I'd call the school district office and see if anyone there knows.

deena 02-05-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6243548)
Is this a federal or state program?

Unless this is who you already called, I'd call the school district office and see if anyone there knows.

Thanks, I called the Department of Transitional Assistance, that runs this program along with others like SNAP. I could try the superintendent's office next.

JoannaV 02-05-2021 07:26 PM

It's only for students already enrolled in a free/reduced lunch program at a school.

Aerynne 02-05-2021 07:30 PM

It depends on the school district if they are choosing to open it up to the community or just their students. My daughter goes to a school for one class but isn’t enrolled and they give her breakfast. Some schools districts have drive up locations, some are giving out a whole week of food at once, etc. so it depends on your district.

HomeWithMyBabies 02-06-2021 07:28 AM

My district was giving out bag lunches every school day and you didn't have to prove you were a student or even a resident. Just drive up, get the lunches and go.

2sunshines 02-06-2021 09:19 AM

Yea, I'd call your local school district. Ours is providing a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches on fridays to all children living in the district aged 0-18, regardless of school enrollment, income, etc. If you want them you just sign up, drive up, and pick up.

KarenBoo 02-06-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies (Post 6243580)
My district was giving out bag lunches every school day and you didn't have to prove you were a student or even a resident. Just drive up, get the lunches and go.

Same with ours. Now they give out a big bag of food once a week.

Lady Grey 02-06-2021 01:55 PM

Our district gave out the food to anyone last spring, but I think they have to be enrolled this year.

JoannaV 02-06-2021 05:00 PM

Giving out food is different. My district is giving food to literally anyone under 18. But the only people eligible for P-EBT are those students who were enrolled in free/reduced meals. (The only variation around that is that some districts were able to determine eligibility later in the year than others.)

2sunshines 02-07-2021 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 6243603)
Giving out food is different. My district is giving food to literally anyone under 18. But the only people eligible for P-EBT are those students who were enrolled in free/reduced meals. (The only variation around that is that some districts were able to determine eligibility later in the year than others.)

Oh! So it sounds like there are two programs? Free food for anyone. But also a financial program for some who qualify? Is that correct?

rdsmommy 02-07-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6243624)
Oh! So it sounds like there are two programs? Free food for anyone. But also a financial program for some who qualify? Is that correct?

Yes. Some school district are giving out free meal packets that you pick up at the school. The P-EBT is given thru the food stamps program. It's a certain amount per month per student for low income students who would have received free meals at school. In my state I believe it was also given to families already receiving food stamps as an extra amount to help out.

My best guess is to call your local health and human services office and ask.