Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Photo Software (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525506)

CelticJourney 06-07-2018 12:14 PM

Photo Software

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've just tried Photo Explosion and just can't make it work:doh Really all I want to do is to add a watermark to some important photos. I'd love to be able to get rid of some background stuff, but it's secondary. I've worked with powerpoint a lot recently, so I'm not a total lost cause technologically, but this just seems ridiculous.

twoplustwo 06-07-2018 12:31 PM

Re: Photo Software

I use GIMP bc it's free. I don't do a lot with it though. But it's supposedly a bit like photoshop. Ive used GIMP for years.

Dh uses photoshop and aftereffects and probably some other programs.

MaybeGracie 06-07-2018 12:36 PM

I use GIMP as well. You can usually find very clear tutorials for whatever you want to do.

CelticJourney 06-07-2018 03:46 PM

I've downloaded it and will give it a try. I think I'll need those tutorials:shifty

domesticzookeeper 06-07-2018 05:12 PM

I don't find GIMP to be particularly intuitive, but those tutorials really help :rockon It's what I use to put watermarks on my images.

WanderingJuniper 06-08-2018 03:20 AM

We’ve used pixlr as a photoshop alternative. It’s been okay but I miss actual photoshop just because that’s what I am most comfortable with.

TraceMama 06-08-2018 12:04 PM

ACDSee might be an option. It's not free though.

passthemanna 06-08-2018 01:25 PM

Is this just a one time thing? You could subscribe to photoshop and Lightroom for $9.99/month. You don’t need to buy the expensive program

RiverRock 06-08-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 6144673)
Is this just a one time thing? You could subscribe to photoshop and Lightroom for $9.99/month. You don’t need to buy the expensive program

I looked into this and I think the prescription is based on joining for a year.

I want to check out Photoshop Elements to see if it offers enough options for editing. I say that, but the content-aware features make it hard to not get the recent version of Photoshop.

passthemanna 06-08-2018 03:18 PM

I’m pretty sure you can just do a month. That’s what I use and I pay by the month. I think I could cancel anytime with no fees

TraceMama 06-09-2018 12:55 PM

Someone has also suggested buying an older version of Photoshop. It's would be much less than the most up-to-date version and probably do everything you need it to do. :)

ViolaMum 06-09-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 6144684)
I’m pretty sure you can just do a month. That’s what I use and I pay by the month. I think I could cancel anytime with no fees

Photoshop and Lightroom are only available now as a monthly subscription. (My dh is a photographer. He uses Lightroom.)

RiverRock 06-10-2018 04:17 PM

I did a little more research and for me (I'm in Canada..but I was looking at an American website :shrug3) I can do a monthly plan for $9.99USD if I commit to a year of Photoshop and Lightroom, otherwise it is $29.99USD if I want to go month to month with the option to cancel.

CelticJourney 06-10-2018 04:28 PM

I don't mind doing the subscription. Which of these is most 'user friendly'?

RiverRock 06-10-2018 08:10 PM

I'm not sure that Photoshop is super user friendly, but you will quickly find your favourite tools. I like to joke that there are at least three ways to accomplish the same goal when editing in Photoshop. It isn't far from the truth. ;) You'll learn quickly if you practice, guess, take steps backward when you guessed wrong and save your work at various stages. Lastly, try to keep an original version of your edited photo in case you want to start from the beginning.