Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Freezer & Pantry Inventory (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528321)

charla 04-05-2020 12:38 PM

Freezer & Pantry Inventory

How do you keep track of what you have in your freezer and pantry? I'm having a hard time keeping up. I'm trying to keep a running list, but there's gotta be a better way. I'm used to making a weekly menu and then grocery shopping for that week, but now with the virus, I'm trying to make meals from what I have on hand, but I don't readily know what is available and how to keep the counts up-to-date when I add items when I can do grocery pick up.

knitlove 04-05-2020 04:26 PM

Re: Freezer & Pantry Inventory

When I had a deep freeze I had a peice of paper and a pencil in a string taped to the front and I would keep a list. When the list got too scribbily I would rewrite it and put up a new list.

Occasionally I have done a similar thing on the inside of the pantry door.

That was when I had both, now I can normally keep up with it because I have almost no storage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Virginia 04-05-2020 04:27 PM

I don’t :shifty

We don’t have a big enough freezer or pantry for me to need to yet. But I could see doing it in the future. I would probably use a whiteboard so it’s easy to erase and reusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 04-05-2020 05:31 PM

I just have a place for everything. So if something is going low - the spot is getting empty I would add it to the list. Only I empty the groceries into the pantry. If dh does it - the systems goes awry :hunh Occasionally dh will buy something weird different for us and that will sit in there. Usually I put that in very front and say "When are you going to make these potato pancakes you bought?" every now and again until they get eaten.
My freezer is more of a free for all as in there are no set places other than frozen veggies, frozen bananas, and freezer packs have a place. But I dont know there is anything in the freezer that I keep stock on. Occasionally I lose a half a loaf of bread in there, but I guess it's just not too stuffed so things get eaten, things get bought - I don't really miss food items that I have to toss years later or anything. And I don't really keep cooking staples in there.

domesticzookeeper 04-05-2020 06:51 PM

I use Trello, which is my general life-organizing app :giggle

I have a deep freeze and a pantry and it's been so convenient to have an easily updated inventory, rather than pulling everything out of the freezer or pantry just to see if I have that one ingredient :doh

RiverRock 04-05-2020 08:21 PM

I have a place for some things that I always try to keep stocked. If I am out or running low, those get purchased. I do a lot of batch cooking so some of those ingredients get purchased with a particular recipe in mind, and are used entirely. While it doesn't always happen, I try to tidy my pantry and clean my fridge before going grocery shopping which helps me to know what meals to plan (so I can use some of my pantry and odd fridge items), and to not buy unnecessary duplicates.