Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   High Strung - natural remedies? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=364229)

tempus vernum 06-19-2010 09:19 PM

High Strung - natural remedies?

I am TERRIBLY high strung. . . .

I use the following but would like something to mellow me out. . . I have had more than one friend recommend a glass of wine - which I am not against at all but would like other options that I can take regularly ;) .

*rescue remedy
*nux vomica (homeopathic rescue remedy)
*chamomile
*valerian (doesn't work for me)

I can't think of anything else. . . .

so what do you do to mellow out. . . besides drink alcohol which again I am not against; however, I'd like something I can use a hair more often than I am comfortable with alcohol ;)

mountainash 06-19-2010 10:06 PM

Re: High Strung - natural remedies?

I avoid caffeine.

SilverMoon 06-19-2010 10:28 PM

Do you take cal/mag?
I see you take Nux. Have you considered seeing a homeopathic doctor?

sweetpeasmommy 06-19-2010 10:52 PM

Theanine, taurine, GABA and inositol are the first things that come to mind besides what has already been mentioned.

mamacat 06-20-2010 10:27 AM

Green tea is very good because of the theanine levels so mayb decaff green tea?

butterflyqueen71 06-20-2010 11:15 AM

First of all, :hugheart

I am only high strung in certain stressful situations. I want to avoid alcohol too, because alcoholism runs in my family. :(

So I am :popcorn for other responses. What is nux vomica, and do you take all that stuff at the same time?

I'm looking for something to take with me when we fly soon. :shifty

SilverMoon 06-20-2010 08:51 PM

Nux xomica is a homeopathic remedy. That would be taken on it's own if it's not mixed into a remedy with others. You can put the drop into water or dissolve pellets under your tongue. That's one of the remedies my psychiatrist had me take. It has a lot of uses.

butterflyqueen71 06-20-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynaminbear (Post 3156280)
Nux xomica is a homeopathic remedy. That would be taken on it's own if it's not mixed into a remedy with others. You can put the drop into water or dissolve pellets under your tongue. That's one of the remedies my psychiatrist had me take. It has a lot of uses.

Where do you get it? I'm intrigued! :)

SilverMoon 06-20-2010 09:05 PM

I get mine from my doctor but also bought it from a health food store. Vitamin Shoppe carries Boiron brand homeopathics and they have it. It's like $7 for a tube of pellets (my doc calls the little balls 'globs')

cobluegirl 06-20-2010 09:21 PM

Butterfly...the one thing to remember is that homeopathic remedies are very personal. What might work for Jodi's nerves might not work for yours... You both would have a different symptom picture and thus a different remedy for what seems like the same thing. www.abchomeopathy.com is a good place to enter your symptoms to see what the correct remedy would likely be. A lot of things really need a professional homeopathic dr though.

Jodi..Not sure. Sweetpeasmommy mentions good things.. Dh is also very high strung.... would love to be able to find something that mellowed him a little. He is also told a lot to have a drink...LOL

tempus vernum 06-21-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainash (Post 3155035)
I avoid caffeine.

I drink caffeine intentionally as I am ADHD . . . . plus off caffeine I am MORE high strung :shifty scary thought to those of you who know me IRL I'm sure :hiding :giggle

Great thoughts. . . .are any of these instantaneous -- like emergency situations where I feel myself totally losing it because of my high strung tendencies. . . I also take rescue remedy in emergencies when I am flipping out :shifty

I have considered a homeopath but it's SO low on the list and we are in the process of recovering from dh being unemployed for 8 months. WHen we are, we need the younger two to get IgG allergy tested if the DE cleanse doesn't eliminate the rest of their symptoms. . . . after that *maybe* I can see a homeopath :(

Sadly, I am SO much more mellow than when I was on gluten and I am still crazy high strung . . . how did I manage before being gf I do not know :shrug3

butterflyqueen71 06-21-2010 05:16 PM

COuld you have an overactive thyroid? :think I've heard that people whose thyroid was overactive could feel kind of wound up. :shrug3

I do drink some caffeine, but maybe average 1 cup of coffee every other day. Maybe that's still too much for me? I know that when its time for me to fly, I'll have to cut back altogether. :( It's a shame too since coffee is like a comfort to me. :shifty

I was reading about that nux vomica and I don't think it's for me. :shifty Rescue Remedy seems to work well for me. I need to stock up. Can one take RR and other low stress natural type things together? For example, valerian I've heard helps ease anxiety. Can I take both RR and valerian together? :think

Sorry to hijack your thread. :O I'm just :popcorn too. :)

tempus vernum 06-21-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterflyqueen71 (Post 3157935)
COuld you have an overactive thyroid? :think I've heard that people whose thyroid was overactive could feel kind of wound up. :shrug3

I have been like this forever -- actually mellowing in past few years -- enough to realize I have a problem instead of thinking it's everyone else. . . and my thyroid has always been normal :think

I actually think I need to be more regular on cal/mag and take my b complex instead of forgetting :think

I think it's mostly my ADHD that makes me super high strung. . . . :shifty

Marsha 06-21-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 3157941)
I think it's mostly my ADHD that makes me super high strung. . . . :shifty

I'm going to second this. It's the basis of my previous high strungness (and yes, it starts mellowing out thank God) and my dd's.

tempus vernum 06-22-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsha (Post 3158289)
I'm going to second this. It's the basis of my previous high strungness (and yes, it starts mellowing out thank God) and my dd's.

:hugheart My dh is as high strung as me :crazy Sometimes I wonder how we can live together :giggle but we are like a perfectly matched pair of boots :giggle

I am happy to say that last night I remembered to take my CLO, cal/mag and B complex :tu

We also have 3 high strung children and recently dh and I were discussing this and I said "well what do you expect -- look at us" :shrug3

Last night we had a very bad storm and the kids were crazy . . . it really emphasized this. We had one kid pacing, one kid biting nails and one kid running around like a chicken in our basement - not to mention the thumb sucking and crying :bheart It was hard but for once I was the calm one since I had to be. . . .