Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   What meal do you take to a family with a new baby? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=187318)

katiekind 01-18-2007 07:04 AM

What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

I'm drawing a blank as I consider what to fix...that is portable and not too spicy...(the mother is nursing!)

What are some of your standbys for this situation? Or what meal has someone brought to you that was especially enjoyed?

inesperada 01-18-2007 07:05 AM

Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

My favorite to give and to receive has always been a whole roasted chicken and some sort of side dish that is easy to eat one-handed. :grin

Michelle-Lea 01-18-2007 07:08 AM

Various sandwich meats and bread
Lasagna
Beef stew
Chicken pot pie

expatmom 01-18-2007 07:08 AM

Someone brought us honey mustard chicken, mashed potatoes, caesar salad & garlic bread. Oh, and brownies :mrgreen I still remember that meal fondly.

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:09 AM

hmmm...one I usually do is

make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.

Kind of a homemade Rice-a-Roni type thing, with no preservatives or gunk. And the corn gives you a bonus veggie without adding another dish to heat up ;)

throw in some homemade biscuits (4 c. s/r flour, a glob of shortening the size of a really big egg, 2c. buttermilk.)

No, I didn't grow up Southern. Really.

ETA: don't throw the biscuits in the casserole. I meant throw in as in 'bring with'. Just to clear up any confusion! :giggle

expatmom 01-18-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadensmom
make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.

I'm going to make that for dinner. :shifty

I was just going to post to ask what to make for my family where one kid threw up this morning but is begging for food & the other only eats plain things with no visible green. This fits the bill! How much chicken stock & how much rice pasta?

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:15 AM

I usually cook it in two-to-one ratios....so if I'm planning on cooking 4 cups of the rice/pasta I use about 8 c. of stock :tu

Might be cooking that tonight, myself :shifty

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:17 AM

oh - and sorry about your sick one! :hug2

Marsha 01-18-2007 07:18 AM

we got barbecued beef brisket one time; another fondly remember meal with leftrover potential was a crockpotted beef roast, potatoes and carrots. Another great one was a family meal to go from Buddy's bbq. We got meals every other day for two weeks, so usually we had leftovers in between.
I usually make a chicken tetrazzini with salad, bread, and chococlate chip cookies or brownies. One time I did fresh green beans w/ham, homemade mac and cheese in a grownup version, and homemeade strawberry pie that went over quite well.
I enjoy cooking for other people more than my own family for some reason.

simplegirl 01-18-2007 07:28 AM

baked spaghetti is easy and good.

AmyDoll 01-18-2007 07:34 AM

Chicken Divan, Rice, Crescent Rolls, and Brownies. I usually make the Chicken Divan in 2 half pans for a small family - so they can freeze one for later :)

Punkie 01-18-2007 07:43 AM

Nothing that is like a pot pie, because I must've gotten 5 meals like that in one week after my dd was born. :lol I'm not really a pot pie person anyways, but the thought was super nice.

I was on the committee for bringing food to new mothers at my old church. People most seemed to appreciate my baked ziti with garlic bread and a salad. I would make two dishes, and put them in the aluminum bakers that can be re-used or thrown away. Then they could freeze one and eat the other.

I also got a lot of compliments on vegetable lasagna, homemade mac and cheese, and basically anything that can be doubled and frozen. If you have a little extra time, it is really pretty to get some pound cake and cut it into the letters of the baby's name. Put it in a pretty bakery box, sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Then put a big bow around it, and it is really special :)

kris10s 01-18-2007 08:10 AM

I usually ask if they are overrun with any particular kind of food and based on that either do
mexican lasagna (in two small pans to freeze or use) & bread
chicken corn chowder or tomato basil soup and quiche
salad with chicken (in the summer)
and dessert with whichever meal

Mother of Sons 01-18-2007 08:24 AM

I usually call and offer 2 options. So far they have all picked chicken pot pie. Otherwise stuffed chicken is a new one on my list.

cheri 01-18-2007 10:47 AM

When I had dd, someone made a baked ziti for us. All I had to do was pop it in the oven and heat it up. They sent a salad and bread to go with it. That was my favorite!

I also think things that are just heat & eat like chili, soups/stews, pot pies, or casseroles are easy. Also meatloaves are easy heat and/or freeze *IF* they like meatloaf. I don't really think you can go wrong if you stick with things that are just heat & eat and things that they could maybe freeze if they want to save it for later.

Someone brought us a crock pot dinner around 4 in the afternoon that took about 6 hours to cook and she gave us all kinds of directions like put this in, then an hour later add this, then add this an hour later. I guess it's the thought that counts, but I would never give something like that to someone who just had a baby and doesn't have time to cook.