Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   Beyond the Sling - Mayim Bialik (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=442941)

Teacher Mom 03-12-2012 10:11 AM

Beyond the Sling - Mayim Bialik

The Blossom star, who currently is on Big Bang Theory, did an interview promoting her recent book Beyond The Sling which discusses AP (attachment parenting)

I am sooooooooooooooooooo excited to see a new voice for AP!!! Yay!

Virginia 03-12-2012 11:54 AM

Re: Beyond the Sling - Mayim Bialik

I recently saw that she'd written this book! YAY! :rockon

Teacher Mom 03-13-2012 11:11 AM

I ordered it. Can't wait to read it! But I'm also fascinated at her as a celebrity living the ap lifestyle. I hope that more people saw that piece and will consider it too! It was on the Today show I think or maybe CBS? One of them. Hope it reached a whole new bunch of people!

Carmen 03-13-2012 11:34 AM

I am on the waiting list at the library for this. I was a little excited that there was a waiting list for it! Means I'm not the only one in my county!

Teacher Mom 03-16-2012 06:03 AM

ok. I am reading this book and LOVING IT!!!

Wow!

I feel like so much of it I could have written myself!!! I hope that this reaches out to more an dmore and more families introducing them to gentle discipline and attachment parenting.

Please Lord, I pray! :pray4

Teacher Mom 03-21-2012 08:23 AM

ok. somehow I need to get more eyes on this thread ;)

I HIGHLY recommend this book! It shares with the general public what so many of us have learned about and did with attachment parenting styles. It discusses so many of ideas to the main stream. :tu

Please if you get a chance, get this book and enjoy a good read. I saw her in an interview and it cracked me up. She said when she was first meeting parents who practiced attachment parenting, gentle discipline, estended nursing (or even just nursing for that matter), she thought their ideas were out "there" and bizarre. But after seeing how their children were developing and growing, she started thinking that their ideas were not so strange after all.

It is a good read and for many of us, re-enforces what we already believe. But I am in prayer, that it will reach many new and young parents and influence their parenting path.

MercyInDisguise 03-21-2012 11:10 AM

I'm reading it right now and loving it! It's taking me forever to get through (not because it's a tough read or anything, life just gets in the way), but I'm really enjoying it. I like how she ties her experience in neurobiology back to AP and how mammals were made to parent this way. :yes She is also very respectful of other choices. DH and I are huge BBT fans, so I have a hard time not picturing her saying things in Amy Farrah Fowler's voice.

sarahhh1 03-22-2012 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I requested that our library purchase this, and they did, but they didn't give me an option to place a hold on it, so I just did.

I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Teacher Mom 03-22-2012 12:52 PM

I love, love, love her in BBT too!!! That show cracks.me.up.

I started the book on the chapter on elimation. She even says somewhere in there she will probably get some that start with that chapter!!! :P~

I kept reading from that point on because I couldn't put it down and didn't want to move to the beginning. I now need to start from the front of the book. :giggle

Seriously. I'm glad that she wrote the book. I only wish, wish, wish that GCM would have been mentioned in the back of the book as a resource. I will actually write her somehow somewhere and ask that it be mentioned in any further publishings.

Because I think GCM is a GREAT resource!!!

Aubieirish 03-22-2012 01:27 PM

I just put a request in for the book via our library. Excited to read it!

Teacher Mom 03-22-2012 07:34 PM

:bump

trying to hit some night people :sillygrin

Victorious 03-22-2012 07:46 PM

There is also a thread in the book forum :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...d.php?t=441756

FaithnPraise 04-13-2012 06:13 PM

Just picked up my book from the library today! I put a request in after seeing this thread and it's available! Can't wait to dig into it this weekend :heart