Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   A Very Important GBD Statement (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=138058)

Katherine 10-30-2005 04:26 PM

A Very Important GBD Statement

Grace-Based Discipline is a model of discipline which, though it rejects the popular view that the rod references spankings, affirms the authority of parents as outlined in the Bible. Extending grace to our children is not permissiveness. We believe that parents are to set a high standard for behavior and children are to uphold that standard. Many gentle parents are prudent and selective about the type and number of rules they enforce. Many grace based parents enforce those rules using low coercion, cooperation, negotiation and compromise. However, GCM does not embrace the philosophy behind TCS ("Taking Children Seriously") or non-coercive parenting. True, quality discipline combines knowledge of age appropriate behaviors, reasonable standards, clear expectations, proactive discipline and consistency. Grace is extended in a parent’s willingness to help their children meet that standard when needed and to forgive when the standard is missed.

This has been composed by the Mods and Admins and representative of the GCM position.
If you have any questions about it, please contact one of us. :)

Zhannah 10-31-2011 04:48 AM

Re: A Very Important GBD Statement

thanks for explanation. it is helpful for a starter like myself because i feel like i am thrown intot he ocean of different parenting styles with no help coming from anywhere but my 1 year old needs her Mom to know how to treat her.

RedHeadMom 10-31-2011 08:26 AM

Re: A Very Important GBD Statement

I am glad you all posted that, because I was wondering about the same thing, what is GBD. Could you clarify what TCS is? Is that a movement of some sort? I would really like to read some perspectives on discipline (obviously none that advocate corporal punishment of any kind) so I can be more informed as I develop my own approach. Are there any books that outline GBD?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Oh, I just found the sticky thread with more info. Never mind! :D