Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   The official Cal Mag thread (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=247839)

Gentle Journey 04-02-2008 07:35 PM

Re: The official Cal Mag thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElliesMom
I take Natural Calm (my naturopath recommended this brand). He said the powder is much more absorbable than a pill. I double the dose because it helps my crampy legs at night. http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillha...m-Plus-Calcium

It's pricey, but even doubling the dose, a bottle lasts me about 3 months. I don't think I'll ever try another brand because this one works so well.

It says there's only 8 servings per container?

TuneMyHeart 04-03-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentle Journey
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElliesMom
I take Natural Calm (my naturopath recommended this brand). He said the powder is much more absorbable than a pill. I double the dose because it helps my crampy legs at night. http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillha...m-Plus-Calcium

It's pricey, but even doubling the dose, a bottle lasts me about 3 months. I don't think I'll ever try another brand because this one works so well.

It says there's only 8 servings per container?

I buy a 16 oz. bottle for about $20. It lasts me quite a while. :shrug It says a serving is 4 teaspoons. I take an overflowing tablespoon, so I'm doubling what I used to take, not what the bottle says to take. Sorry about the confusion. :blush

schmamy 04-03-2008 08:46 AM

yeah, how important is the 3:1 ratio? I'm taking more like a 2:1 ratio...my magnesium comes in 250mg pills, which makes it hard to get 300...and my calcium comes in 300ish mg pills, which means taking four horse pills just to get to 1200. :/

And why, oh why, is magnesium so awful to swallow? I was taking Nature Made and thought it was just the brand--these flat, round tablets that would ALWAYS get stuck in my throat :sick So I switched brands to something I found at Target...they're caplet shaped, so that's better, but they still start to dissolve in my mouth/throat :sick It's like they're missing a coating that other vitamins have. Why is that??

allisonintx 04-03-2008 08:57 AM

3:1 ratio is minimum
2:1 and even 1:1 have all been studied, and shown to be at least as good as 3:1 if not better for some conditions (1:1 is best for those coping w/ hypertension, but can give digestive problems from so much magnesium)

bananacake 04-03-2008 09:00 AM

Cal/Mag was mentioned on the Today show today, but I only saw the end of it.

bananacake 04-03-2008 09:00 AM

Here it is:

http://www. msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/23936737#23936737

GrowingInGrace 04-03-2008 09:12 AM

Does cal/mag end up making you a little tired during the day? I don't know if it's because we are coming off a week of spring break, or the fact that I just started taking cal/mag again (a 2:1 ratio). I'm just so much more sluggish during the days this week.

Katherine 04-03-2008 10:47 AM

RE: ratios... One case study in the thread I linked to was a man sensitive to calcium and severly depressed, who actually needed to cut way back on his calcium and take substantial amounts of Magnesium in order to stabilize. Kefir was added after a point, with good results.

allisonintx 04-03-2008 01:13 PM

cal mag should be taken at NIGHT. It acts as a sedative and relaxes muscles. Perfect for the end of the day, not so great in the morning.

GrowingInGrace 04-03-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison In TX
cal mag should be taken at NIGHT. It acts as a sedative and relaxes muscles. Perfect for the end of the day, not so great in the morning.

This is what worries me, I think I've only been taking later in the evening. I'm very fatigued for the past 2 days. I'm on the end of my AF, so that might have something to do with it. I don't know. I just feel like a slug bug and have no desire to do anything. I've had my second cup of coffee and I just feel blah. I have a meeting to go to tonight, and I just want to take a nap instead.

allisonintx 04-03-2008 03:18 PM

when I take Coral Calcium, I feel like that. I think it's TOO good for me ;) I have to take about 1/3 the dose if I choose the coral calcium over regular Calcium Citrate.

Tuesdayschild 04-04-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrowingInGrace
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison In TX

This is what worries me, I think I've only been taking later in the evening. I'm very fatigued for the past 2 days. I'm on the end of my AF, so that might have something to do with it. I don't know. I just feel like a slug bug and have no desire to do anything. I've had my second cup of coffee and I just feel blah. I have a meeting to go to tonight, and I just want to take a nap instead.

sounds like AF... Have you upped your iron?

thomer 04-04-2008 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrowingInGrace
Does cal/mag end up making you a little tired during the day? I don't know if it's because we are coming off a week of spring break, or the fact that I just started taking cal/mag again (a 2:1 ratio). I'm just so much more sluggish during the days this week.

I was getting this too - when I would take the recommended amount I would feel like I got hit by a truck in the morning even. I reduced the dosage and it's better now.

Also, vegetarians need less, (if you are one) because they absorb it better.

GrowingInGrace 04-04-2008 10:50 AM

I'll try upping the iron but I don't know about reducing the cal/mag any more than I have, I was already only taking half a dose. I have heard you only absorb so much calcium at once anyway, so I was trying to break it into 2 doses (I usually forgot the morning dose and just did the evening dose).

Last night I didn't take any and I do feel better, but I'll try it again tonight and see what happens. And I ate leftover steak yesterday (so, no, I'm not a vegetarian) but I still was wiped out yesterday.

I've also been upping my water intake overall too, just in case it's dehydration.

klpmommy 04-04-2008 11:23 AM

when you have cal & mag at the same time your body absorbs it better so you don't have to split it into two doses. also, don't take it with iron b/c the iron effects the absorption of the calcium