Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   Changing Chores (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522065)

arelyn 02-15-2017 03:20 AM

Changing Chores

When my oldest was five we got a chore chart. For each chore he did he got one coin for his bank and five minutes of electronics time (to be saved up to "pay" for TV shows and iPad time). It works great and as time went on his brother was also written on the chart so now we have a 9 year old and a nearly 6 year old. And now a predicament is looming on the horizon. The origional chores are still on the hart. I've added harder thigns over time, like water the plants (we have a ton) or take the laundry off the clothesline but there's still simple things like "get dressed" and "brush teeth". It seems a little silly to be paying a 9 year old to get dressed and brush teeth. It'll seem down right ridiculous to be paying a 12 year old in a few years so I need a plan.

How do I stop paying him to do stuff he really just needs to do while still rewarding his little brother for trying to do things on his own? This is still a huge issue and the electronics points are the only reason the 5 year old does things without a fight. It's going to seem so unfair! Does anyone have ideas?

2sunshines 02-15-2017 04:20 AM

Re: Changing Chores

:think I'm wondering if you could present it in a way that is an exciting thing. As in a graduation to the next steps etc. :think

We don't do that specifically, BUT we do implement a salary system for the kids and it's different at different ages. The big separation is 6th grade. So under that age the kids get a much smaller amount of money but have a much smaller amount of financial responsibilities. Once they hit 6th grade they "graduate" to the next system. Where yes, it's exciting that they get more money BUT it also comes with far more responsibilities (having to pay for items themselves that we used to pay for). They know that this is what happens at this specific age.

Tying that all back to your situation ;) I'm wondering if you could implement something similarly. As in, "this is our family situation for under ages x. Once you hit age y you graduate to the next level of priviledge and responsibility!" Insert excitement! :lol And maybe increase the level of reward that he can work towards.

mamacat 02-15-2017 05:59 AM

I think I would have a new chore chart meeting and say that of course he would do he usual things like brush teeth every day but that if he wants to earn spending money he can do these things. I would leave the teeth cleaning off of both charts and find other things for younger to do for spending money or if he needs reminder find teeth cleaning stickers he can put there after he finishes cleaning his teeth that day. Agree allowance can be less for younger one

arelyn 02-19-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6067742)
:think I'm wondering if you could present it in a way that is an exciting thing. As in a graduation to the next steps etc. :think

We don't do that specifically, BUT we do implement a salary system for the kids and it's different at different ages. The big separation is 6th grade. So under that age the kids get a much smaller amount of money but have a much smaller amount of financial responsibilities. Once they hit 6th grade they "graduate" to the next system. Where yes, it's exciting that they get more money BUT it also comes with far more responsibilities (having to pay for items themselves that we used to pay for). They know that this is what happens at this specific age.

Tying that all back to your situation ;) I'm wondering if you could implement something similarly. As in, "this is our family situation for under ages x. Once you hit age y you graduate to the next level of priviledge and responsibility!" Insert excitement! :lol And maybe increase the level of reward that he can work towards.

This might be my solution. He would totally accept the idea of "leveling up" to a tougher but cooler level.