Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Teal Pumpkin Project (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=515850)

gerberadaisy 10-03-2015 07:18 AM

Teal Pumpkin Project

I'm posting here for it to get the most exposure.

The Teal Pumpkin Project is to get out awareness about food allergies but also to encourage those who hand out candy for trick or treat to have some non-food treats on hand as well for kids who are allergic. Here's some more information.

I found out about it too late last year & only put out a small sign. I might do a pumpkin this year.

AngelaVA 10-03-2015 08:19 AM

Re: Teal Pumpkin Project

I think it is so cool that they are doing this but at the same time I wish they were asking for something a bit less time consuming and messy than painting pumpkins a certain color. I'm willing to pass out allergen free treats but not necessarily willing to take on yet another holiday project YK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerberadaisy 10-03-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 5950810)
I think it is so cool that they are doing this but at the same time I wish they were asking for something a bit less time consuming and messy than painting pumpkins a certain color. I'm willing to pass out allergen free treats but not necessarily willing to take on yet another holiday project YK?

They have signs. Last year I just taped the sign to my door. I've seen some people post the sign on a bucket & put it at the end of their drive or where ever they'd have put the pumpkin. It doesn't HAVE to be a real pumpkin. The signs print out a teal pumpkin.:)

AngelaVA 10-03-2015 08:41 AM

I will probably just do the sign then.

Carini 10-03-2015 09:03 AM

We're doing it this year! My daughter was diagnosed with peanut and egg allergy this summer, and my oldest has Celiac disease. Thanks for spreading the word!

gerberadaisy 10-03-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carini (Post 5950824)
We're doing it this year! My daughter was diagnosed with peanut and egg allergy this summer, and my oldest has Celiac disease. Thanks for spreading the word!

I'm fortunate that my little guy has no food allergies but my mom has celiac & a younger brother is allergic to raspberries. I used to babysit for a family where at least 2 of the kids has severe allergies to just about everything & none of them had the same allergies. It has to be rough.

Carini 10-03-2015 09:40 AM

Teal Pumpkin Project

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerberadaisy (Post 5950833)
I'm fortunate that my little guy has no food allergies but my mom has celiac & a younger brother is allergic to raspberries. I used to babysit for a family where at least 2 of the kids has severe allergies to just about everything & none of them had the same allergies. It has to be rough.

It is rough. Honestly, I hate it and I've had a hard time dealing with both diagnosis's. They both came within weeks of each other and my youngest was only a year. But I'm glad there is awareness and research. I hope for an allergy cure or treatment within their lifetime. And the Celiac disease is challenging at times but I don't worry like I do with the peanut allergy.

WanderingJuniper 10-03-2015 11:41 AM

We should probably do this. My middle is celiac and when she was smaller every Halloween we ended up having to take half of her candy or more. Glow sticks are a good idea.

KarenBoo 10-04-2015 03:32 AM

I love this idea! We are totally doing this! I'm ordering prism glasses to hand out.:rockon

My kids love to go trick-or-treating and then come home fast and hand out their candy to other trick-or-treaters.:giggle So we'll have candy *and* non-candy treats on hand!

bananacake 10-04-2015 06:59 AM

We colored a sign last year :yes

gerberadaisy 10-06-2015 02:18 PM

I just bought a box of 12 glow sticks from Walmart, a dozen pens plus & a dozen little bubbles for $1 each from the Target $ bins. We give out anywhere between 60 & 100 items a year (we give out Wendy's Jr. Frosty coupons & live in one the NYC boroughs) so now I have 36 less of those to buy (but will probably still buy because they support foster adopt).

Aerynne 10-06-2015 02:23 PM

What a great idea! If we celebrated Halloween, I would totally do this!

bananacake 10-07-2015 04:55 AM

If it's ok with the OP, I'd like to hear from others what deals you've found :yes Last year, we bought allergy-friendly candy, but it was expensive.

gerberadaisy 10-07-2015 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 5951704)
If it's ok with the OP, I'd like to hear from others what deals you've found :yes Last year, we bought allergy-friendly candy, but it was expensive.

absolutely.

bananacake 10-07-2015 08:03 AM

Some ideas here: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...ea5e2b-5975825