Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Any one here horse back ride? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526149)

kiloyd 10-03-2018 06:39 PM

Any one here horse back ride?

My daughter and I do.

Thought it would be fun to chat about it.

kiloyd 10-12-2018 07:38 PM

Re: Any one here horse back ride?

Really? No one?

Aerynne 10-12-2018 07:44 PM

I’ve loved it the few times I’ve gone but haven’t done it much.

kiloyd 10-12-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6159377)
I’ve loved it the few times I’ve gone but haven’t done it much.

I was riding a lot then got a job babysitting. I knew it would put a damper on my riding, but the extra $400-500 is worth it. I've only been able to ride once a week with working and school in session now. Over the summer I would go late and get home at 9:00 and either put ds2 to bed late or my daughters would put him to bed but now everyone needs to be in bed early.

DD2 and I are volunteering at a horse show tomorrow.

Aerynne 10-12-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6159381)
I was riding a lot then got a job babysitting. I knew it would put a damper on my riding, but the extra $400-500 is worth it. I've only been able to ride once a week with working and school in session now. Over the summer I would go late and get home at 9:00 and either put ds2 to bed late or my daughters would put him to bed but now everyone needs to be in bed early.

DD2 and I are volunteering at a horse show tomorrow.

I know a woman with horses who said I could ride sometime. Maybe I just need to ask her. (When she said that I was pregnant and I won’t ride pregnant).

Have fun at the horse show! What will you be doing?

kiloyd 10-13-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6159384)
I know a woman with horses who said I could ride sometime. Maybe I just need to ask her. (When she said that I was pregnant and I won’t ride pregnant).

Have fun at the horse show! What will you be doing?

I rode pregnant but only because I'd already been riding and only on a select 2 horses at the time.

DD and I were cross country jump judges. First time doing that, we liked it! And those preliminary level riders make it look so easy jumping those giant jumps!

Aerynne 10-13-2018 06:32 PM

Sounds fun! Glad you had a good time!

I wouldn’t say others shouldn’t ride pregnant but I am not that experienced and don’t know any horses well enough to trust them, nor do any horses know me well. My friend’s horse nuzzled my pregnant belly, though- it was cute, like she knew or something.

kiloyd 10-14-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6159435)
Sounds fun! Glad you had a good time!

I wouldn’t say others shouldn’t ride pregnant but I am not that experienced and don’t know any horses well enough to trust them, nor do any horses know me well. My friend’s horse nuzzled my pregnant belly, though- it was cute, like she knew or something.

Awwww, cute! :heart

I took the advice of don't start any new activity but okay to continue an activity you've been doing.

I quit at 6 mo with my first only because it was getting harder to get on and I was getting top/belly heavy, figured I'd not stay on well if he spooked.

With baby #2 and 3 I quit around 6 months because it hurt when I got off, all those muscles loosening I guess. With baby #4 I quit right away because I was riding a rescue horse and I also just felt yucky for the first few months.

KarenBoo 10-23-2018 07:32 PM

I used to ride all the time. I used to ride, train, and show horses. I stopped riding when I was pregnant with Kitten, who is now 15. (At that time, the only horses I had to ride were not ridden often, so they weren't suitable for a pregnant mama to ride.) I didn't mean to stop forever!

Kitten is terribly allergic to horses, and my body hurts easily.

But a few years ago, Monkey took lessons and I took a few too. That was awesome! We were just getting a groove going when we decided we'd better move to FL.

Monkey took some lessons here in FL too, but we didn't like the instructor, and haven't had time/money to pursue it again. And it's so hot and steamy most of the time. And now she's really into theater.

When we did ride, here is the process:

1) Go riding
2) Change into fresh clothes before getting into the car to go home.
3) Once home, strip to naked in the garage and go shower. All clothes go in the washer.

This process is to protect Kitten from getting an asthma attack from her allergies.

I really miss it. But I have less than zero time, and no money at all to do it. It feels like it was a lifetime ago!

My parents still have a few horses left. They are pets and "yard decorations." LOL! They never did ride very much. They are a few states away from us.

kiloyd 10-24-2018 07:28 AM

:heart:heart Awww, yay for riding!

I know what you mean about time and money!