Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Shepherd's Purse for heavy menstrual bleeding (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=173980)

herbalwriter 09-30-2006 04:38 PM

Shepherd's Purse for heavy menstrual bleeding

Can you use SP for that? I am having a period so heavy that I was desperate for something to calm it down - I could not even leave the house for more than 1/2 hour and had to be somewhere - so I took some. I remembered it helping the bleeding when I had a miscarriage. It did seem to help, but that may have just been my body finally backing off. Does anyone else have experience with this?

amstermarie 09-30-2006 04:44 PM

Re: Shepherd's Purse for heavy menstrual bleeding

i am having one of those too.... but 1. this is my 1st pp AF and 2. i am using cloth for the 1st time.. so i dont know if either of those have anything to do w/ this but i am bleeding like a stuck pig.. soaking the pad my undies and pants w/ in a short amount of time.. :cry.. i read that 9 cloth padw would last 2 days.. thats what i bought it did not get me though one day.. i am going away this holiday and i am gonna switch to disposable since i dont know what is going on.. gonna buy the supper soakers too.. :sick2 :cry i am disapointed.. dont know if i need different cloth pads .. sorry to get off topic.. but what is this Shepherd's Purse ... id love to try it if it is ok...

herbalwriter 09-30-2006 05:16 PM

:hugheart Right there with you, mama. It looked like a Civil War skirmish in my bathroom this morning - blood everywhere. I was caught off guard! It was like post partum bleeding. I am so sorry you are going through this, too. :hug2

Shepherd's Purse (capsella bursa-pastoris) is an herb and I have a tincture at home that my midwife gave me when I had my MC. It really helps uterine bleeding and it does seem to have helped me. You can get it at a HFS. Oops...I see mine expired 1/05. :O It probably would have helped more if it had been fresh!

I stuck the Latin name there so you could make sure, if you buy it, that you are buying the real thing and not another herb with that common name.

Also, Marilyn Shannon has a book called Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition - I have not read it in a couple of years but I am pretty sure there is a section in there about heavy menstrual bleeding, dietary causes and helps, and supplements. I will try to find it if I have not loaned it out to someone and read up...

allisonintx 09-30-2006 06:29 PM

If I was bleeding badly, I would take the Shephard's Purse, but I would also take capsules of Capsicum.

herbalwriter 09-30-2006 06:32 PM

I have read that bit in Shannon's book - she rec. capsicum, too, and chlorophyll. Also, increase Vit. A and K and E, esp. A. (There's more than that, but that's what I remember at the moment.)

Thank you!

allisonintx 09-30-2006 06:42 PM

The shephard's purse needs to be taken every half hour when hemmoraging like that!

herbalwriter 09-30-2006 06:47 PM

Oh, okay! It is remarkable stuff- a little too remarkable; it kept stopping my miscarriage when I should have let it go...but that's another topic.

Is it okay to take it expired?

allisonintx 09-30-2006 07:32 PM

Is it a tincture? It's in alcohol if that's the case, and won't really 'expire' like milk does or anything. I'd use it.

herbalwriter 10-01-2006 05:52 PM

That was my thought - it's an alcoholic tincture, so I went ahead with it. :shrug

I think I am going to invest in some Optivite PMT supplement and magnesium, and reduce the dairy in my diet, and see if that helps for next month. I swear, if I have to go through another month like that I will end up with a transfusion!!

amstermarie 10-01-2006 06:48 PM

hfs was closed today.. and i am going out of town for 2 days in morning.. it has let up some... but i still feel it is much more than it used to be.. hopefully it is just becaus i have had no AF for 13 months.. but that is interesting what you said about dairy.. i have had an excess amount when i usally dont even touch it.. maybe that did it. what ever it was i too hope i dont do this next month... i feel a littl anemic, though dh reminded me i tend to run a little low on and off any how.. but i was shaky today and i have been mirsrably tiered and not wanting to eat :blah :shrug... had i gotten into the hfs i was gonna pick up son flor.. ug i cant rember the name but i took it during pg for low iron..
:hug Leah hears to a better next month.. actually a no next month would be good too.. kwim... but i imagine she will be hear monthly at leat for a bit.. :(.

herbalwriter 10-01-2006 07:25 PM

((((Amstermarie))))
My first period post-partum was at 14 mo and it was really light. They have gradually gotten heavier and worse and this one was KILLER. Very little pain, though, and when I was a teenager (the last time I had "normal" periods, i.e., not on the pill or pregnant or pp), the cramps were evern more killer, plus the bad flow. The dairy is my big source of animal fats...animal fats contain arachidonic acid, which is a precursor to a hormone that depresses function of the corpus luteum, which results in lower progesterone. :phew Lower progesterone can cause PMS symptoms and heavy bleeding and such.
There is *so* much other stuff out there and it amazes me that, on a cellular level, our bodies are *so* detailed and how one little thing can throw it off.
I don't get enough B vitamins, either, specifically B6, and those are really important in maintaining healthy menstrual function. I am on a supplement/diet crusade after this month...

And amstermarie, here's to a better month next month!

Kyasmom 10-01-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah
Also, Marilyn Shannon has a book called Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition - I have not read it in a couple of years but I am pretty sure there is a section in there about heavy menstrual bleeding, dietary causes and helps, and supplements. I will try to find it if I have not loaned it out to someone and read up...

:popcorn That is good to know! I have always had such a heavy flow! I switched to a diva cup and organic/ natural pads in hopes that they would lighten... to no avail. I typically bled through the diva in 1/2 - 1 hour for about 12 hours straight. I am going to get that book and read a bit to prepare myself for (hopefully a long time from now ;)) my next AF.

:hugheart Having such a heavy flow is really hard!

herbalwriter 10-02-2006 05:07 PM

I highly recommend that book, as does my midwife...but it is *really* hard to find. Of course, we were searching without Amazon. ;)