Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Thrift Shopping (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530710)

charla 01-23-2024 10:30 PM

Thrift Shopping

A new thing I’ve found that I really enjoy is thrift shopping. I think I definitely have the bug! :giggle Who else likes thrifting? What treasures have you found?

CelticJourney 01-24-2024 05:59 AM

Re: Thrift Shopping

My daughter has taken it up and enjoys the hunt. Recently found out my neighbor does it as a business - sells things for profit on Ebay

twoplustwo 01-24-2024 06:50 AM

DD and I will go to Goodwill now and again. I used to go regularly. I live in a fairly well off area so found some amazing things. My nephew got married the summer before last and I found this really cute dress AND shoes to wear to the wedding.
Lots of new with tags or new condition brand names - Nike, addidas, underarmor.
We used to have 6 razor scooters bc they were so cheap there and then had enough for friends group.
I dont go nearly as often as I used to. Less time. Need less stuff as the kids get older. The prices have really risen.

charla 01-24-2024 10:00 AM

Almost my entire new wardrobe lately is all thrifted. Before I started thrifting, I went to Target and got maybe four shirts for well over $100. :jawdrop Then I learned I could get several really nice things (same brand I love from Target ) at the thrift store for the price of one Target shirt. I’ve only gotten to go once, but the small town near the cemetery where Hope is buried has a very, very nice thrift store. And now in our new town we moved to, I found a favorite thrift store.

rdsmommy 01-25-2024 11:16 AM

I do but it depends on the store. We have several here and I only go to one of them. I need things organized by size. I don’t have the patience for it when it’s sorted by color. My daughter got me hooked since she likes to shop and prefers thrifted clothes. I also by holiday decor, cards, tags ect. And I have found a few things for the house as well.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6281660)
Almost my entire new wardrobe lately is all thrifted. Before I started thrifting, I went to Target and got maybe four shirts for well over $100. :jawdrop Then I learned I could get several really nice things (same brand I love from Target ) at the thrift store for the price of one Target shirt. I’ve only gotten to go once, but the small town near the cemetery where Hope is buried has a very, very nice thrift store. And now in our new town we moved to, I found a favorite thrift store.

I like the Knox rose brand from target and I have found several items in our thrift store.

charla 01-25-2024 11:22 AM

Yes, I love Knox Rose. That's the brand I've found at the thrift stores and will most likely snatch them up if they fit!

Singingmom 01-25-2024 09:42 PM

I like thrifting! I find books and sometimes good clothes. Recently I found a jacket I love.

charla 01-28-2024 05:58 PM

I didn't really like thrifting for a very long time. I think it was for several reasons: I had lots of hand-me-down clothes growing up (most of which I loved, but grew tired of) and just because you need a certain something doesn't mean you are going to find it that day. I love thrifting now because I can be a little more patient in my shopping and I don't see the point in spending full-price on something that is just going to wear out soon anyway. And I suppose a cousin to thrifting is antiquing which I totally adore as well although it happens to be quite a bit more expensive.:shifty

I bought a brand new with tags KatyBug Faye tunic originally priced at $49.99 for under $10. I can't remember the exact price I paid but every piece was under $10. I can't even fathom paying $50 for a tunic shirt.

I've made a list on my phone of things I'm hoping to find when I go thrifting. We'll see how long it takes to find everything on the list. Thankfully none of it is essential. :giggle

heartofjoy 01-29-2024 09:22 AM

I don't enjoy shopping at all and thrifting is so much worse because you can't just go in and get what you need immediately.

However, I do like finding bargains! My oldest daughter is an excellent thrift shopper. She lives in a great neighborhood with Facebook groups for selling and giving stuff away and she's gotten the most amazing free stuff! Furniture, kids' toys, clothes, and more. She's very good at it and I want to be like her! :D

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Tickle Momster 01-29-2024 10:02 AM

I’m with heartofjoy. The extra time doesn’t always make sense. I love finding a bargain but I prefer shopping when there is something I’m looking for. I don’t mind thrifting for it if I have time. I know there are deals to be found, I just don’t have the patience for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charla 01-29-2024 12:38 PM

I'm a total go in and get what I need shopper in every other forum except thrifting. I hate browsing in any other store. :giggle

HuggaBuggaMommy 01-29-2024 03:00 PM

I love thrifting. From a sustainability and conscious consumerism standpoint, thrifting is amazing. We probably thrift 80 percent of our non-food items.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6281728)
I don't enjoy shopping at all and thrifting is so much worse because you can't just go in and get what you need immediately.

I am not a shopper and I agree with not necessarily being able to find things you need, but I previously lived in areas with so many wonderful second-hand stores that I almost always found most of what I was looking for. Where I live now, not so much.

heartofjoy 01-30-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy (Post 6281749)
I love thrifting. From a sustainability and conscious consumerism standpoint, thrifting is amazing.

Yes, this is why I try to do it!

2sunshines 02-06-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6281647)
A new thing I’ve found that I really enjoy is thrift shopping. I think I definitely have the bug! :giggle Who else likes thrifting? What treasures have you found?

Thrifters here! I love it. Some of the stuff is WAY overpriced but at the same time some of the stuff is a steal. It's definitely a time consuming hobby.... I've gone through spurts and stalls.... Sometimes I hit it hard and sometimes I don't at all based on current life circumstances.

CelticJourney 02-06-2024 05:59 PM

I need to start visiting the stores in the nicer parts of town to find some maternity items for my daughter. She's at that 'kinda need it' meets 'really need it' stage and there is so little in the stores these days.