Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Article about Christians spanking wives (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=484885)

Hope 07-05-2013 09:24 PM

Article about Christians spanking wives

Has anyone seen these articles yet that came out at the end if last month? The Christians Against Violent and Abusive Parenting facebook page posted the link to one...I had never heard of the sect of Christianity (?) that did that before today though. It actually seems like a great conversation starter because the practice sounds so bizarre, but if the word "wife" were switched with "child" in the article it wouldn't sound much different than mainstream Christian parenting teachings like even Dobson. What a reminder that we still have a long way to go...

mwwr 07-05-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Article about Christians spanking wives

:cup

Soliloquy 07-05-2013 09:37 PM

Subbing

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hollybells 07-05-2013 09:39 PM

keepinghome 07-05-2013 09:46 PM

I saw a website promoting it a few weeks ago. It freaked me out - I cant imagine what kind of relationship those people have....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OneLove 07-05-2013 10:11 PM

I have heard little bits here and there but never anything official or on the record

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

Calliope 07-06-2013 05:47 AM

Usually it goes by the euphemism "Domestic Discipline". It's couched in terms like "Head of Household" that makes it makes sound slightly like WOS Christianity. In reality, it's primarily a sexual fetish.

Domina 07-06-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepinghome (Post 5363353)
I saw a website promoting it a few weeks ago. It freaked me out - I cant imagine what kind of relationship those people have....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

A kinky one. :giggle

Can'tTurnLeft 07-06-2013 11:41 AM

It is a sexual fetish. It isn't about discipline or abuse the vast majority of the time. Sometimes it is, but it is a mutual relationship where the couple enjoys it. Most of the time, not always, it is a respectful relationship. I think it is bizarre, but whatever. Not my life, not my problem.

Andi 07-06-2013 11:42 AM

I read something somewhere as to how spanking came about and it started as between husband and wife...

Here it is:
http://aolff.org/spare-the-rod/the-s...ry-of-spanking

BarefootBetsy 07-06-2013 11:54 AM

If it's consensual then I don't have a problem with it :shifty It's not something I'm interested in, but I know that many people (non-Christians as well) do enjoy it consensually.

If it's couched in spiritual abuse and women are "consenting" only because they're being coerced in some way or aren't consenting at all then I do have a problem with that.

Chaos Coordinator 07-06-2013 12:03 PM

i found a website a long long long time ago....pre-kids even....where the woman discussed it in her relationship with her husband and made it sound like she was just an average housewife who deserved a spanking for things like doing the dishes wrong or whatever. She "consented" to it in that she agreed with her husband that she needed to "learn her lesson" and that the next time she went to do whatever the task was, she considered the sting of being spanked by him and made a better choice to do it right. I'm pretty sure the task was dishes. She did go into just about that much detail if not a little more.

So i went on to explore her site because :shiver :hunh :scratch and was reading comments of people telling her that she was in an abusive relationship, which she rebutted saying that she consented to it, he wasn't an abusive man, she deserved it, etc. and also of people telling her that she was in a bdsmorwhatever relationship which she also denied, saying that their sex life is just a normal whitebread sex life (okay she didn't use those words).

this was a website about being a good Christian housewife, homeschooling her large family, cooking nutritious but cheap meals, frugality in family living, and, ya know, domestic discipline.

really glad that i dont remember the web address. it was like one of those things that you can't look away from even when you want to.

Andi 07-06-2013 12:30 PM

I seriously can't fathom how you do the dishes wrong. Kudos if they get cleaned before the next meal.... ;-)

Two Little Birds 07-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi (Post 5363895)
I seriously can't fathom how you do the dishes wrong. Kudos if they get cleaned before the next meal.... ;-)

Seriously. Oh wait. Dh does the dishes. :roll

Andi 07-06-2013 01:02 PM

DH normally does the dishes, but I will do them if he has to work or gets behind. Maybe a spanking would keep him from getting behind....