Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   What is the red stuff in my shower? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=117446)

~mamacharly~ 04-15-2005 08:20 AM

What is the red stuff in my shower?

I am constantly cleaning red off of my shower walls and floor and the sprayer nozzel in my kitchen sink. My toilets don't have red rings because I clean them all the time I guess. What is this red color from? I know it's something in the water but what, and how do I get rid of it?
TIA :)

~mamacharly~ 04-15-2005 08:22 AM

Re: What is the red stuff in my shower?

LOL Ok I just read lady ts's post, I'm guessing that is rust. Is there any way to get rid of it or do I just have to keep cleaning it off my shower?

Lady TS 04-15-2005 07:41 PM

With us, it's not neccessarily rust, but the high iron content of our well and most of the water around this area. Ours is a mixture of iron and sulphur---yech! I cannot stand to drink the water, so we have a Berkey water filter for drinking/cooking.

My poor laundry has suffered the most, besides my shower. We are getting a new hot water heater. The one downstairs is ancient and I'm sure it's full of iron because when I wash diapers on hot and the water softener isn't working I can see actual clumps of red going into the wash and staining my dipes :hissyfit. :sick I am so looking forward to getting our on-demand hot water heater installed.....once our electric is updated.

~mamacharly~ 04-16-2005 03:30 AM

oh yucky, that sounds terrible, I hope you are able to get it all done quickly. I have no idea about our heater etc, we rent so I have no control over it either :( I haven't noticed anything with my laundry or food or drinking. I do use a Pur filter for our drinking H2O. I do notice that my cat's water bowl gets a red ring in it if I let the water sit for a day or so. Drives me NUTS :hissyfit

Soliloquy 04-17-2005 12:48 PM

It does sound like what you're describing is an iron/rust problem. If you have city water, you can call your local water works to find out for sure. If you have well water, you can have your water tested, which is recommended, anyway. My parents have horrible rust problems with their well water and they finally had a system installed called The Iron Curtain, lol, and now they don't have any rust in their water at all. Reverse osmosis systems will take it out, too, but they're expensive, from what I understand.

If it's a pinkish-red, it could be mold. :td But, if it's an orangish-red, then it's rust. :td

sarahandmadelinesm 04-18-2005 01:59 PM

sounds like iron--the house I grew up in had a well,and we would get these reddish deposits from time to time from iron.
The pp is right about mold--sometimes the ickies that can grow in liquid lotions and soaps are pinky red, too. The shampoos, conditioners, lotions etc we all use all start with water, so there is an opportunity for icky things to grow :tdMost commercial things (i.e. shampoo from a grocery store vs handmade) have enough preservatives to prohibit mold, but if you use things that are either handcrafted, or made without preservatives, youmay have gotten a bad batch?
Most of the time, though you would see any growth right in the bottle, in the lotion, etc itself, not on the walls.