Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Best kind of help for a friend going through a divorce (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=519501)

Dandelion 06-15-2016 07:06 PM

Best kind of help for a friend going through a divorce

I am not sure if this is the best forum so feel free to move this. I am looking for ideas of ways to help a friend going through a rough time, a very hurtful divorce, with kids and lots of extras in life:(. Mostly I am looking for ideas other than food and childcare. I don't think she would take me up on either of those.

MegMarch 06-15-2016 07:33 PM

Re: Best kind of help for a friend going through a divorce

Hug her. Treat her to a pedicure or haircut/blowout. Basically get her some physical touch.

Hang outs. It isn't the same, but my friend who is having a hard time in her marriage right now is very grateful whenever we can just hang out in each other's homes. A sense of normality being around someone. Someone to chat with while doing dishes, you know?

Invite her and her kids to holidays with you guys.

SalH 06-15-2016 09:38 PM

Remember her speciAl dates with gifts. Help her children bless her on Mother's Day and maybe ask how she wants support on Father's Day. This Sunday in the uk. Is it us Father's Day this week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheNaturalBetta 06-16-2016 12:24 PM

Is she introverted or not? I think knowing that would be a good place to start. If she is a talker then listening calmly to her might help... I guess encouraging ranting would only make her feel worse. I always feel better after spending time outdoors, but what works for me isn't going to help someone else... LoL.

Trixie 06-16-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMarch (Post 6021076)
Hang outs. It isn't the same, but my friend who is having a hard time in her marriage right now is very grateful whenever we can just hang out in each other's homes. A sense of normality being around someone. Someone to chat with while doing dishes, you know?

The best things I did with my friends when I was going through my divorce was just to spend time together. I really looked forward to game nights, browsing stores, and just any general thing we could do to get my mind off the negativity. Sometimes they treated me to a movie but what I really enjoyed was just having someone's company.

Dandelion 06-17-2016 07:14 AM

Thank you for the replies:) She is not a really good friend, more than an aquaintance, but we are not close at all. I will have to brainstorm some more.

Trixie 06-18-2016 04:24 PM

Maybe you could just give her a card or a small care package meant just for her. Let her know you are thinking of her and that she is worth being cared for. Its so easy to get lost in childcare, the drama of the situation and all the other burdens. She might like to be reminded in any small way that she is allowed to take a few minutes to take care of herself.