Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Natural Cleaning Recipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114066)

Mothering by Heart 12-13-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelsea
Thanks Amy! And embarrassing as it should be to admit this...in college I bought a Downy Ball simply because I thought it was "cool" but I didn't know how to use it and so I just threw it in at the beginning when I put the clothes in. :O

i thought that was how you were supposed to use it? :scratch

I think she didn't put anything in it...

herbalwriter 12-13-2005 08:35 PM

:laughtears :laughtears

chelsea 12-14-2005 12:17 AM

Quote:

I think she didn't put anything in it...
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears :lol :laughtears
Actually, I did put the liquid in it. I've been called "blonde" before but not THAT blonde!! :P~ :giggle But I thought now that you are supposed to put the ball in partway through the cycle...?? Umm, maybe I'm not quite so "in the know" now as I thought I was!!! :O :lol Would someone please explain to me how exactly to use a Downy ball?!!! :scratch

crunchymum 12-14-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

I've been called "blonde" before but not THAT blonde!!
:giggle

no, i think you ere doing it right.... the point of the ball is so that you can put everything in at the begining instead of trying to remember to put softener in mid cycle, kwim? :tu so you fill it, plug it, and throw it in on top of your laundry at the start of the wash cycle. when your clothes spin out the first time, the plug unplugs to release the liquid in the rinse cycle.

i have a front loader that has a little place to put your softener in, so i don't use it anymore... actually, i just use dryer sheets now. (i know, not very natural... :O)

Mothering by Heart 12-14-2005 09:59 AM

:laughtears

:O

Sorry. :giggle

Punkie 12-14-2005 10:15 AM

:yes

You put it in right at the beginning
http://downy.com/products/downyball.jsp

chelsea 12-15-2005 05:23 PM

Thanks ladies! ;) :giggle
Quote:

i have a front loader that has a little place to put your softener in, so i don't use it anymore... actually, i just use dryer sheets now. (i know, not very natural... )
We just got a front loader too. But I thought you didn't have to use dryer sheets if you use the softener. :scratch We have just been using softener (in the little place you put it in the wash) and no sheets and the clothes are coming out great! :tu

tryin-to-FROG 12-15-2005 06:00 PM

yes you just use one or the other- but I did try the vinegar and it works great I don't notice the small after the clothes are dry and it is much cheaper!
Thanks!

chelsea 12-15-2005 06:28 PM

Hmm, can you use vinegar in a front load washer? And would you just throw it in or put it where the softener is supposed to go?! :popcorn

crunchymum 12-15-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

But I thought you didn't have to use dryer sheets if you use the softener.
yeah, i don't use the liquid anymore... (dh would say "only women would be having this detailed a conversation about fabric softener! :rolleyes)

herbalwriter 12-15-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum
yeah, i don't use the liquid anymore... (dh would say "only women would be having this detailed a conversation about fabric softener! :rolleyes)

:laughtears
Vinegar doesn't work for me in regards to static...it worked great when I was hanging laundry out - made the clothes really soft (I'd add vinegar and baking soda at the beginning of the load), but that doesn't keep the static out. So I use dryer sheets now. :hiding

Mothering by Heart 12-15-2005 07:54 PM

My DH likes his clothes to smell really good :rolleyes so I have been buying Good Nest Plum and Grapefruit softener from Target. Ohhhh, it smells soooooo good, but expensive. I wish vinegar came scented :giggle

chelsea 12-16-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

dh would say "only women would be having this detailed a conversation about fabric softener!
:lol :lol So true!
Quote:

I have been buying Good Nest Plum and Grapefruit softener from Target. Ohhhh, it smells soooooo good, but expensive. I wish vinegar came scented
YUMM!! I'm going to buy some next time I go to the States! Hey, couldn't you add some essential oils in with the vinegar? Or would that mess up the machine? And is this conversation still applicable to a front-loading washer? :think

herbalwriter 12-16-2005 05:29 PM

Don't know about the front loading bit, but you can sure put essential oils in vinegar...I do. I use lavender. You could use grapefruit! :tu

Bonnie 01-08-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah
you can sure put essential oils in vinegar...I do. I use lavender. You could use grapefruit! :tu

So putting EOs in the vinegar you use as fabric softener wouldn't muck things up or damage fabric? How much would you use? And what is Zote?