Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Packing dinner (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526754)

The Tickle Momster 03-12-2019 04:31 PM

Packing dinner

We've hit the 'I need something that can be packed out' dinner season. Between baseball & soccer games we eat on the road 2-5 nights a week. I can't make the kids (or dh) eat sandwiches all of those nights. gf & df :help

esperanza 03-12-2019 06:37 PM

Re: Packing dinner

Do you have thermoses to keep food hot? Or does everything need to be able to be served cold?

knitlove 03-12-2019 06:46 PM

What kind of infastructer do you have when you eat? Tables?

Could you do tacos or burretos. Some of the gluten free tortillas really will hold up for them.

If you have tables to eat at soup and Curry's can actually be taken out fairly easily. My mom would bring cold soup on picknics. Thermis or a converter so that an instant pot can be plugged in to the car could keep everything warm.

I also tend to think about street food like falafel and kabobs. Cook at home and wrap up in foil.

For cold options you can think not interested of sandwiches but fruit and meat ( this is when I miss dairy and gluten oh how I wish I could just have bread, fruit and cheese on outings)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aerynne 03-12-2019 09:44 PM

Thai fresh spring rolls

Chili or other soup in thermoses

My kids enjoy bringing camp stoves places and cooking ramen (could get the rice noodle ones) or oatmeal.

The Tickle Momster 03-13-2019 10:34 AM

No tables. Think bleachers watching soccer games or in the car while at baseball practice.

I can precook in the IP and serve on site for baseball. Soccer is more difficult we are in the high school stadiums.

We do have thermos, but are serving 2 adults and 3-4 teens/tween. That makes quantity an issue.

rjy9343 03-13-2019 10:45 AM

I don't have a lot of great ideas, but Ivy has a lot of allergies and needs a packed lunch for school each day. She was sick of her normal lunches and wanted hot food, but thermoses weren't really cutting it for us. I found these portable heater things that have been a game changer for us. I heat up the food so it's hot and put the heater in the lunch box so it stays hot and her food tastes just like it came from the stove.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't know if this will help you or not, but it has changed everything for us.

knitlove 03-13-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6173983)
No tables. Think bleachers watching soccer games or in the car while at baseball practice.

I can precook in the IP and serve on site for baseball. Soccer is more difficult we are in the high school stadiums.

We do have thermos, but are serving 2 adults and 3-4 teens/tween. That makes quantity an issue.

Blargg bleachers makes things harder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mother of Sons 03-13-2019 01:40 PM

We are constantly on the go! We pack bento boxes or tiffins. It’s not the traditional dinner but it’s usually filling. Like I might do cut summer sausage with crackers, some fruit, a hard boiled egg, some cut veggies and dip etc. sandwich types things that feel different enough like baozi or burger bombs or flatbread squares or wraps. I really like chicken salad in a wrap. Pasta salad also works well. Especially in the warmer months. Cold noodles (or warm if you use a heater like someone else mentioned.

The Tickle Momster 03-14-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjy9343 (Post 6173984)
I don't have a lot of great ideas, but Ivy has a lot of allergies and needs a packed lunch for school each day. She was sick of her normal lunches and wanted hot food, but thermoses weren't really cutting it for us. I found these portable heater things that have been a game changer for us. I heat up the food so it's hot and put the heater in the lunch box so it stays hot and her food tastes just like it came from the stove.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't know if this will help you or not, but it has changed everything for us.

So, I can put hot food in our normal leftover glass containers and put these heated inserts in the lunch box and the food stays hot? Or at least more than warm? That would be cool! I despise cleaning thermoses.

:think

rjy9343 03-14-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6174125)
So, I can put hot food in our normal leftover glass containers and put these heated inserts in the lunch box and the food stays hot? Or at least more than warm? That would be cool! I despise cleaning thermoses.

:think

I am pretty sure that's how it works. I heat up the food and put it in glass or I put it into the glass containers straight from the stove before school and it's still hot at lunch time when Ivy eats it. The lunch box that I use is insulated, so that might help.

Virginia 03-14-2019 06:04 PM

Salads
Gluten free buns with veggie burgers or BBQ
GF pancakes or waffles, yogurt pouches, fruit, bacon, sausage links (breakfast for dinner)

PrincessAnika 03-16-2019 05:06 PM

Packing dinner

One of my favorites is cold taco salad. 1lb browned ground meat mixed with a packet of taco seasoning but no water, cooled, mix with a head of shredded lettuce, 8oz Catalina salad dressing, and about a can worth of diced tomatoes (drained if you use a can). Can also do a cup or 2 of shredded cheese (or daiya for DF) if you want. Mix together, serve with tortilla chips. Flavors are best if it sits overnight but it can be eaten immediately. I like to also top with sour cream and/or guac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CelticJourney 03-16-2019 05:10 PM

For dh on soccer night I will make lemon chicken (cubed chicken cooked in the microwave in butter, lemon juice, olive oil) over rice. I will heat up rice bags and put them in a cooler with the bowl of food to keep it warm. Similar with burritos. GF pasta also works well when we go on trips.