Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   How about a child going to college soon thread? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526695)

kiloyd 02-24-2019 08:08 PM

How about a child going to college soon thread?

DS has decided on his college!

DH keeps talking about expenses with him going, extra things besides tuition and room/board. I'm thinking not more than $500 for room things (sheets, comforter, soap, etc) and under $1,000 for a laptop.

Am I missing anything?

esperanza 02-24-2019 09:13 PM

Re: How about a child going to college soon thread?

Are you including books in tuition?

Hermana Linda 02-24-2019 09:35 PM

He'll need internet, a computer, a phone plan, food at school, snacks, school supplies (note books, pens, pencils, scantrons, etc) clothes :think

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Software, like Microsoft Office.

charla 02-24-2019 10:39 PM

Tuition, room and board (dorm and food plan), parking permit, all other fees charged by the college (which for our son is about the same amount as tuition), snacks, dorm supplies (bedding, towels, fridge, microwave, dishes, paper goods, bath/toiletries, cleaning supplies, decorative things/storage solutions), cell phone and plan, internet if not included in room and board, laptop, software, printer, books/computer subscriptions, school supplies, etc. One of the things that surprised us is that depending on the major there can be ongoing supply fees. Ds is an architect major and has to buy all of his tools and supplies to build his models out of his own pocket in addition to the tuition and fees charged by the university.

heartofjoy 02-24-2019 10:45 PM

I haven't even thought of any of this yet! Ds will likely use his own money to pay for things like school supplies or dorm essentials. We have bedding that he can take. He may have an apt with a kitchen or just a dorm room. He may also live with his grandpa, which will be the cheapest option.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

kiloyd 02-25-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6172329)
Are you including books in tuition?

Hmmm? I don't think I am.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 6172331)
He'll need internet, a computer, a phone plan, food at school, snacks, school supplies (note books, pens, pencils, scantrons, etc) clothes :think

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Software, like Microsoft Office.

They'll have internet in the dorm, but I should check that it comes with it. He has a phone. Maybe a dorm , unless he gets a suite with a , he was talking about that.

FlyingBlueKiwi 02-25-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6172340)
He may also live with his grandpa, which will be the cheapest option.

Will it be a healthy option that will allow him to be independent?

tempus vernum 02-25-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6172339)
Tuition, room and board (dorm and food plan), parking permit, all other fees charged by the college (which for our son is about the same amount as tuition), snacks, dorm supplies (bedding, towels, fridge, microwave, dishes, paper goods, bath/toiletries, cleaning supplies, decorative things/storage solutions), cell phone and plan, internet if not included in room and board, laptop, software, printer, books/computer subscriptions, school supplies, etc. One of the things that surprised us is that depending on the major there can be ongoing supply fees. Ds is an architect major and has to buy all of his tools and supplies to build his models out of his own pocket in addition to the tuition and fees charged by the university.

Disclaimer— my dd has taken all this upon herself and so she’s done 95% of the everything without us but she’s shared w me :shrug

My dd lives at home for college so I cannot speak to that part .. but the bolded part of charlas post definitely took her by surprise and semester 1 cost her a lot of extra money. Something we now know for her school is NOT to buy books in advance. After buying booksim advance, one ofdd’sclasses in fall required an online subscription that included a free copy of the book. They didn’t inform her of that until she walked in the door... but she learned her lesson.

Also think about little things that make life easier. Maybe it’s just cuz she’s a working commuter but she got special “college” stuff no one else uses. a good blender bottle for on the go smoothies, a decent travel coffee cup and water bottle. A good backpack. Extension cord for her laptop at the library ;)

heartofjoy 02-25-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi (Post 6172368)
Will it be a healthy option that will allow him to be independent?

Is there something wrong with a young adult living with relatives?

tempus vernum 02-25-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6172397)

Not the person who asked but I think it can be very wise and good to have an adult who loves you for support :heart not absolute necessity but it can be helpful.

I know my dd appreciates the adult support cuz she’s insanely busy. She can text us and say “can u flip my laundry? I forgot this morning” or other random favors like to my dh whose company carries tthis “I ran out of windshield wiper fluid, can u buy some?”

Dh and I do for our dd “adult favors” (aka assistance) same we do for each other ;)

And I’m sure u know my opinions on avoiding college debt... I think it’s a great option. For my kiddo who wants to go away to school I’ve wondered if she could nanny for my cousin in CO :think to save room and board ;)

Hermana Linda 02-25-2019 11:30 AM

I'd say that it really depends on many factors. If the young adult is given independence and responsibility, it should be fine. If the adults are controlling and/or babying him it would hamper his growth.

FlyingBlueKiwi 02-25-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6172397)

It depends on the adult.

It also depends if the adult thinks they can treat the college student like she child. This is my personal bias, though. I believe a big part of college is living independently, and not having to account to see relative if one wants to come home at 4am.

tempus vernum 02-25-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 6172405)
I'd say that it really depends on many factors. If the young adult is given independence and responsibility, it should be fine. If the adults are controlling and/or babying him it would hamper his growth.

That’s an excellent point. that would’ve automatically meant “not an option” in my book.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi (Post 6172406)
It depends on the adult.

It also depends if the adult thinks they can treat the college student like she child. This is my personal bias, though. I believe a big part of college is living independently, and not having to account to see relative if one wants to come home at 4am.

My dd rolled in at 5am Sunday :shrug3 she told me as I didn’t know when she got home.

But I disagree w this. :shrug For me independence comes at too high a cost. For me personally, I believe it’s not worth an extra 30-40k to be independent of parents. Obviously my Dd1 agrees w me. If my others do not that’s their choice and their debt so I will support what they choose.

heartofjoy 02-25-2019 12:18 PM

I don't think total independence is worth the price either. Why would we make him pay an extra $10000 a year to NOT be accountable to anyone? Most responsible adults are accountable to someone-spouse, kids!

That said, living with his grandfather will be like having a roommate he never sees. There are other negatives to the situation, but grandpa being controlling is not one of them.

He'd live at home with mom and dad if that was an option. As it is, he's trying to figure out how to afford to live on campus.

Other than helping him navigate the options, I'm not planning to do much micro-planning. I don't feel like I need to help him buy sheets, kitchen supplies, school supplies, or anything else like that. He can figure that stuff out on his own.

charla 02-25-2019 12:55 PM

Another thing to plan for that I just thought of is extra gas if commuting/errands or for coming home on breaks/weekends.

Those extra fees for ds's major are going to add up into the multiple thousands of dollars over the five years. It's quite a big chunk.

And yes, ds found it better to go to the class or get the syllabus before buying the books. He paid for a very expensive book the first semester and never used it and the bookstore only wanted to buy it back for around $11.00.

And as you factor cost, you will want to remember that scholarships and grants may offset some of those expenses. And your son might be awarded several other things in the financial package like student loans and work study. One thing we were totally shocked about is that we were required as parents to take out a parent loan (or cough up the money upfront) up to a certain amount each year determined by some kind of income calculator based on the FAFSA. We will have to repay it same as a student loan upon ds's graduation.