Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   A church that advocates 'the rod' in infancy!! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=403844)

Mama2MeadowRose 04-03-2011 11:22 AM

A church that advocates 'the rod' in infancy!!

This church advocates using the rod during infancy. Scary and very very sick! How is this allowed both in the church AND in society?

http:// thestir.cafemom. com/baby/118323/sick_church_members_abuse_infants

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

At least they are facing charges... it's a start I guess. :shrug3

Can'tTurnLeft 04-03-2011 11:31 AM

Re: A church that advocates 'the rod' in infancy!!

It is horrifying isn't it :(

But you know a LOT of the popular parenting books advocate the rod in infancy. Shepherding a childs heart says an eight month old who is fighting a diaper change needs it. And that is by far the most popular parenting book in Christian circles.

It is sickening.

Mama2MeadowRose 04-03-2011 11:36 AM

I had no idea how popular! Infancy?? Wow, that's just nuts! I now see why the lady I recently talked to said that 4 months for a slap on the hand is OK. Icky!

Can'tTurnLeft 04-03-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2MeadowRose (Post 3809479)
I had no idea how popular! Infancy?? Wow, that's just nuts! I now see why the lady I recently talked to said that 4 months for a slap on the hand is OK. Icky!

Yeah. We were given a wooden spoon when our oldest came home to keep on the changing table. It was advocated to start spanking around six months old by a LOT of the parents I know. And not just advocated, many believe it is biblically mandated. They use the rod scriptures in proverbs. The problem is when you actually study those scriptures in depth, even if it means hit your child with a stick, the youngest it applies to is around eight or so.

Mama2MeadowRose 04-03-2011 11:47 AM

What I don't get is this:

When mommy goes into the next room, the baby bursts into tears. Why? Because the baby cannot comprehend that when mommy is out of sight, it doesn't mean that she disappears.

When a baby throws picks up an object and then drops it into the floor, they don't yet know how the grab/hold mechanism works.

When a baby cries in her crib, s/he feels that s/he is all alone and gets scared.

AND CERTAIN PARENTING COMMUNITIES THINKS THESE ARE REASONS TO HURT/SCARE A CHILD FURTHER BY STRIKING THEM????

ArmsOfLove 04-03-2011 11:49 AM

I think it was Pearl who said if you've waited until 9 months to start spanking your baby you've waited 9 months too long :(

Mama2MeadowRose 04-03-2011 11:51 AM

Ugh... (P.S. AoL, luv the 'waddle tov' penguin!) So do these parenting communities totally have no understanding of child (or should I say baby) development both mentally and physically?

ArmsOfLove 04-03-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2MeadowRose (Post 3809501)
Ugh... (P.S. AoL, luv the 'waddle tov' penguin!)

Quote:

So do these parenting communities totally have no understanding of child (or should I say baby) development both mentally and physically?
They reject the information. They say it's psychobabble and all you're dealing with is the child's sin nature. The idea of developmental readiness is chalked up to making excuses :(

Mama2MeadowRose 04-03-2011 11:54 AM

Wow, they focus on sin waaay too much. I understand that whole innocent/sin nature debate but good grief! Isn't it the love of God that first brought us to an understanding of Him? "It is the goodness of God that brings us to repentance" and "we love because He first loved us".

littleowl 04-03-2011 01:02 PM

This parenting advice came straight from the Devil. Can I say that?

Annainprogress 04-03-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama2MeadowRose (Post 3809493)
What I don't get is this:

When mommy goes into the next room, the baby bursts into tears. Why? Because the baby cannot comprehend that when mommy is out of sight, it doesn't mean that she disappears.

When a baby throws picks up an object and then drops it into the floor, they don't yet know how the grab/hold mechanism works.

When a baby cries in her crib, s/he feels that s/he is all alone and gets scared.

AND CERTAIN PARENTING COMMUNITIES THINKS THESE ARE REASONS TO HURT/SCARE A CHILD FURTHER BY STRIKING THEM????

To start with. As they get older they're playing physicist. Testing gravity - does it fall every time? And probably to an extent, also testing mummy/daddy - do I get it back every time? How quickly? But likely mostly the gravity....

rjy9343 04-03-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annainprogress (Post 3809885)
To start with. As they get older they're playing physicist. Testing gravity - does it fall every time? And probably to an extent, also testing mummy/daddy - do I get it back every time? How quickly? But likely mostly the gravity....

They probably are testing us when they do things like that. They may even cry just to see if we will come. So what? They are just seeing if they can still count on us to come to them and make everything okay. Why is that different than asking God for a confirmation several times so you can be sure of something?

Desert Rose 04-03-2011 05:58 PM

I was glad to see charges being pressed...but when this stuff makes news I cringe...so many non-Christians think that is the Christian way. Sigh.

KnittingHappy 04-03-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove (Post 3809505)

They reject the information. They say it's psychobabble and all you're dealing with is the child's sin nature. The idea of developmental readiness is chalked up to making excuses :(

Thank you! That has always been my big question. I had no idea that it was rejected because of this. :banghead

sarahbeth 04-03-2011 06:40 PM

This is appauling. :( Redness and bruising on a 2 month old?!?