Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   All About Quinoa (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525228)

charla 04-26-2018 10:33 AM

All About Quinoa

I recently ordered a quinoa dish in a restaurant. I was a little scared to try it because whenever I've made quinoa at home I haven't liked it. But it was delicious!!! So please tell me all of your tricks and tips and recipes for making delicious quinoa.

twoplustwo 04-26-2018 11:12 AM

Re: All About Quinoa

We are not big quinoa fans here. Every recipe I have tried everyone had either disliked it or just thought it was eh.

BUT I did find that if I cook it and then use it as a cold ingredient on top of salads its a huge hit. The bonus is I can make a big thing of it (I cook it in my rice cooker) and then just scoop it out for salads all week long.

So that's my one quinoa tip! Otherwise I am just following along to hear what others say.

tempus vernum 04-26-2018 11:52 AM

I adore quinoa. My first tip is to brown until it’s really popping to remove the outer shell. That’s changed our entire feeling about quinoa.

I love Mexican /cilantro quinoa w corn and black beans (although I often eliminate beams cuz I cannot tolerate.

I also love plain buttered and salted quinoa :yum

Now I’m wanting quinoa

Maedchen 04-26-2018 12:26 PM

One tip I found was that you have to really rinse quinoa grains. If you skip the pre rinse before cooking, it has a very bitter taste. If you wash away the tannins, it is about like rice to me. I have not been adventurous cooking it yet, so if anyone has a really good quinoa patty recipe, I would love to copy it. (The ones I buy as a great are over a $1 per patty. I love them for breakfast with melted cheese and an egg on top......if I am really hungry, I will make a sandwich with it.

charla 04-26-2018 01:09 PM

So wait, you brown the quinoa and then cook it in water or broth?

Soliloquy 04-26-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6138768)
So wait, you brown the quinoa and then cook it in water or broth?

That's what I'm wondering, too. And do you rinse before or after?

Personally, I find quinoa too much work because it's so tiny, it's hard to rinse it without losing a lot. I have a rice strainer so that helps. I love quinoa on top of a salad and I love quinoa salad (kind of like cowboy caviar with quinoa added) but I rarely make it.

Details, please!

marigold 04-26-2018 02:49 PM

How do you brown it? I have a hard time picturing wet well rinsed quinoa browning well.:scratch

oops guess I should have refreshed before I asked a question they already asked:blush

Maedchen 04-26-2018 04:07 PM

I have not browned it. I take the grains out of the jar and put it in my tea strainer (I have a 2 cup strainer) I then run water through it and to finish it off, I rinse it in my filtered water and let it drip for a few minutes. I then just boil it like you do rice to cook it.

:shrug3

knitlove 04-26-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6138787)
I have not browned it. I take the grains out of the jar and put it in my tea strainer (I have a 2 cup strainer) I then run water through it and to finish it off, I rinse it in my filtered water and let it drip for a few minutes. I then just boil it like you do rice to cook it.

:shrug3

Where did you find a two cup tea strainer that would he amazing!

Listening in for tips I haven't found a way I like it but I want to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maedchen 04-26-2018 04:38 PM

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-f...SABEgKl-vD_BwE

This is similar to what I have. (I have had it for years and it is a fine grain stainless strainer.)

Some are larger andyou can't use for tiny grains. Amaranth is much smaller than the Quinoa.

charla 04-26-2018 05:12 PM

At the restaurant my quinoa was mixed with brown rice. Can they cook at the same time in the same pan or separately?

Maedchen 04-26-2018 05:51 PM

When I cook rice, it is about 20 minutes. Quinoa is about 16. I guess you could try cooking a small amount together. Maybe have the rice cooking for about 5 min and then adding in the quinoa for the rest of the time needed.

backtobasicsmum 04-26-2018 08:48 PM

We have odd ball taste buds here! I never rinse our quinoa. I just use 1 C quinoa to 2 C liquid. Three minutes in my instant pot. The kids eat it was salt and pepper. :shrug3. Or soy sauce.

Singingmom 04-27-2018 06:11 AM

I like to use broth instead of water for better flavor. No one in my family likes it much on its own, but I don't get complaints when I mix it with other ingredients.

I keep meaning to buy a mesh strainer, but i don't lose many grains when I use my hand to slowly let the water drain out of the bowl I've rinsed it in.

tempus vernum 04-27-2018 08:04 AM

To brown quinoa:

Put dry quinoa in pan, heat on medium. When begins to pop stir about a minute. Stir constantly to avoid burning. When popping slows down, add water (or broth) and cook as usual. Usually the liquid boils very quickly after browning.

I don’t Bother rinsing ever since changing to this method. It also has a richer flavor from browning.