Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Squash, Zuccini, and Green Beans, Oh MY! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=453217)

justbreathe 06-27-2012 01:17 PM

Squash, Zuccini, and Green Beans, Oh MY!

We're getting tons of these from MILs garden and I'm just so bored with what I've been cooking. Green beans I can just freeze for later but I don't really like summer squash/zucchini frozen.

Any ideas? (been mostly just sauteeing with oil)

Must be GF and DF

alwaysHis324 06-27-2012 02:25 PM

Re: Squash, Zuccini, and Green Beans, Oh MY!

I love zucchini and summer squash! So I got lots of ideas.

Shredding the zucchini and freezing it will work for making zucchini cake and bread later.

We've sliced zucchini and squash thin, and frozen it, then dumped it in soups come fall/winter.

But... none frozen zucchini/squash ideas.

My go-to dish is Garlic Chicken Zucchini. I lived off it when I was single. Chop garlic cloves. Dice chicken and cook it with olive oil garlic and garlic salt (if you like - I prefer McCormicks garlic sea salt grinder). When chicken is fully cooked add in sliced zucchini/summer squash. More garlic sea salt. Cook until zucchini is as done as you like. Can be served with rice. :yum

Another favorite is what we call "smothered chicken." Cook up chicken breasts any way you like. (grill, broil, whatev)

Slice green peppers, yellow peppers, onion, summer squash and zucchini, and 2 cloves garlic. (I use 1 each of the peppers, and 1 or 2 of each of the squash/zucchini depending on the size. I'm only cooking for 2 and we usually have enough veggie left over for one or two more meals).

Heat oil olive in a frying pan and add in the veggies plus 16oz sliced mushrooms. Season with seasoning salt and saute until tender and a little bit brown. Serve over/with the chicken. (I really love this seasoning blend by Chef Paul Prudhomme called Magic Salt Free Seasoning. That way I'm able to add in some real sea salt but not over do the salty-ness)

You can also slice the squash and zucchini into quarters (think like pickle spear shape) brush with olive oil and top with garlic sea salt and grill. (I like garlic, perhaps too much.)

I have a few more ideas if you want. But I'll post them later.

justbreathe 06-29-2012 06:54 AM

Re: Squash, Zuccini, and Green Beans, Oh MY!

Thank you for the ideas!

Last night I made a squash/zucchini casserole that wasn't bad. I steamed/boiled squash and zucchini with sweet onions, then mashed them a bit, mixed them with "butter" (earth balance), rice, salt, garlic powder and paprika, and 2 eggs. put in casserole dish and topped with a crumbled up piece of rice bread that Ihad left. Cooked for about 40 mins - it was pretty yummy!

IF you shred the zucchini to freeze, do you squeeze out the extra moisture before freezing? :think Do you just put it in bags all stuck together?