Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmmm (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=218827)

crunchymum 09-05-2007 12:21 PM

oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmmm

:yum

ok, so i'm battling this awful yeast infection, right? (i know, TOTALLY not what you want to read in a recipe thread, lol). anyway, i've been super limited to what i can eat at the moment, i even had to cut out fruit for awhile. :( i'm happy to report i'm now allowed to have a fruit everyday now! woo!

anyway, i've completely cut out ALL refined sugar, and refined carbohydrates. i feel fantastic, of course, but this sugar junkie misses sweets SO. BADLY.

in my research of things that are actually good for killing off yeast, i found out that raw virgin coconut oil is excellent for that, as well as xylitol. hmmm... soooo, today i tried an experiment with delicious consequences. :mrgreen i was inspired by a thread over at the t-tapp forum.

i mixed a bit of the oil (maybe 1/4 c?) with some dark unsweetened cocoa powder until it was all creamy like, and then added about 1/2 t. of xylitol. then i added some unsweetened toasted coconut and a few drops of almond extract, dropped little clumps on a plate and stuck it in my freezer. OH MY!!!! it only takes a minute or two for it to get hard and it's like guilt free almond joy, i tell you. if i had chopped almonds to put in there, i would. :yum

spurred on by my success, i tried the coconut oil, xylitol, cocoa and like half a drop of peppermint oil (i didn't have extract). so so delicious.

the nice thing is that they *need* to stay in the freezer, so no taking out more than one at a time. you might want to adjust the sweetener to your tastes, or try your luck with maple syrup of something (i can't have that right now, though). i would also read up on raw virgin coconut oil, it has amazing health benefits, but you should probably start very slow when you first start taking it, you can get the herxheimer effect from it because it's so good at killing off the beasties.

i really needed chocolate today, i'm so glad i did it! :smile and no yucky sugar crash to deal with.

krysmh 09-06-2007 11:28 PM

Re: oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmmm

Sounds yummy. I like baking with coconut oil. :)

HEmomma 09-12-2007 07:09 PM

Where does one buy coconut oil? Can I get it at say, Marsh?

crunchymum 09-12-2007 08:45 PM

not sure... i know you can order it online, i got mine at whole foods. :scratch if you have a wild oats, i bet they have it. you have to make sure it's raw virgin to get the benefits.

HuggaBuggaMommy 09-12-2007 09:16 PM

I got raw virgin c.o. in the organic section of my grocery store.

Maggie 09-17-2007 08:01 PM

Wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and for directing me to this post! :D Can't wait to try it!!!!

crunchymum 09-17-2007 08:59 PM

:tu

arwen 09-28-2007 11:01 AM

o my....that sounds awesome!!! :rockon

i'm having yeast problems too....so i commiserate

diamondintherough 09-28-2007 02:18 PM

That sounds divine!!! However, please be careful with the xylitol girls, too much will lead to diarrhea (yeah, I know this is a recipe thread, but I HAD to warn you!).

O.k.--Extra Virgin Coconut Oil--I use it all the time and the cheapest place I have found is:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...=coconut%20oil

I buy this one:

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organ...in-Coconut-Oil

I know $20 plus $4.99 shipping seems a bit pricey, but 56 oz is a lot and I've had my "jug" for several months. Be warned that this particular one tastes a little more "coconutty" than some of the others I've tried, but it's quite yummy!

Well....off to make those almond joy thingies!!!!

Aisling 09-28-2007 02:24 PM

Ohhhh, *DROOL* :yum

crunchymum 09-28-2007 03:33 PM

i like the nutiva the best... i bought some of the tropical traditions because a bunch of people said how great it was and it was on sale, but i don't like it so much. :/ it's chunky, not smooth like the nutiva, and i actually like more of a coconutty taste. oh well, i'll just have to work my way through it... :giggle

ditto on the xylitol, although i haven't had a problem. i don't eat that much of it, though.

tempus vernum 01-05-2008 09:34 AM

Do you think I could do this with palm oil? It's similar in consistency (a little softer) than coconut oil - more like crisco. We are off coconut oil for the month to see if its causing problems for Luke.

It sounds so so yummy. The first thing I thought was . ..ooh, I could put some cashews in their and have chocolate covered cashews

although I already do that with grain sweetened chocolate chips but I like the freezer thing ;)

crunchymum 01-05-2008 10:11 AM

i think you could try it with palm oil... :yes

Mother of Sons 01-05-2008 01:48 PM

Is there any other sweetener that would work? Besides sugar. It sounds good but I'm not sold on xylitol and I don't want to go hunt it down and buy it either. I'd like to take more coconut oil (even though I think snake oil every time) but there is only so much I can cook with it. Plus I like treats lol.

crunchymum 01-06-2008 04:45 PM

:think i guess you could use maple syrup or honey... :shrug or agave syrup?