Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Need Sheepherding a Child's Heart rebuttals ASAP! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521419)

NovelMama 12-08-2016 09:07 AM

Need Sheepherding a Child's Heart rebuttals ASAP!

It's been so long since I got in a conversation with anyone about this that I've completely forgotten the issues with this book! It's come up on my homeschool FB group, though. Links I can post, please???

Sweet Life 12-08-2016 09:21 AM

Re: Need Sheepherding a Child's Heart rebuttals ASAP!

It's been a long time for me, too, but I could use whatever comes up in this thread. If I can make the time I'll do some internet exploring, too.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Skimmed this, it seems to hit on the meaning of 'the rod' which is one of Tripps main premises:

http://www.motheringbygrace.com/blog...-childs-heart/

Singingmom 12-08-2016 09:52 AM

Search at Hermana Linda's blog for Tripp and you'll find links to reviews.
http://whynottrainachild.com/?s=Tripp

Carmen 12-08-2016 09:52 AM

There is a long SACH stuck to the top of the page. I had the same thought that you did, but couldn't remember what I didn't like about the book since it had been so long.

CelticJourney 12-08-2016 10:27 AM

'Spank-um till they're sweet' and 'heart bottom connection'

Hermana Linda 12-09-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmen (Post 6055645)
There is a long SACH stuck to the top of the page. I had the same thought that you did, but couldn't remember what I didn't like about the book since it had been so long.

:tu

Here it is, in case you are using a version of tapatalk which hides stickies.
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=245342

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6055644)
Search at Hermana Linda's blog for Tripp and you'll find links to reviews.
http://whynottrainachild.com/?s=Tripp

Thank you. This link might not come up in the search.

http://tripptomars.blogspot.com/?m=1

Also, here is the appropriate tag:
http://whynottrainachild.com/tag/she...-childs-heart/

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk

daina 02-22-2017 10:54 AM

Anyone ever just feel despair at how deeply entrenched and widespread the ideas of the pearl's and their whole worldview are in Christendom? Especially as a new Christian, when the pastor's and leaders and long-time believers are all telling you that if you don't spank em' young, and spank em' til their will is broken, you don't love your children- it causes so much doubt. Struggling through this. Struggling to have confidence. Struggling with the fear of someday being confronted with "church discipline" for not spanking if my husband goes into ministry.

Hermana Linda 02-22-2017 11:14 AM

You might find this link helpful: http://whynottrainachild.com/tag/fru...tle-parenting/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Aerynne 02-22-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daina (Post 6069126)
Anyone ever just feel despair at how deeply entrenched and widespread the ideas of the pearl's and their whole worldview are in Christendom? Especially as a new Christian, when the pastor's and leaders and long-time believers are all telling you that if you don't spank em' young, and spank em' til their will is broken, you don't love your children- it causes so much doubt. Struggling through this. Struggling to have confidence. Struggling with the fear of someday being confronted with "church discipline" for not spanking if my husband goes into ministry.

I think this has to be regional. The first place (and I think only place) I ever heard of it was here and I don't know a single person IRL who does it.

daina 02-22-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6069144)
I think this has to be regional. The first place (and I think only place) I ever heard of it was here and I don't know a single person IRL who does it.

Idk. I don't think so. Today I was talking to a friend who was telling me that a pastor's wife from HI was contacting her, sending her a video about spanking which basically was the same philosophy as the Pearl's. The guy wasn't teaching the pearl stuff, but it was the same premise- "you need to start spanking young(as young as 6 months) and spank A LOT- as much as 15 times a day. If a child is still resistant/rebellious, you need more intense disciplining sessions. If they still don't respond, tag team between parents. This is the problem with the USA today- christians aren't doing this. If you don't do it this way, you are a neglectful and hateful parent." My friend was wrestling with it- the fact that this woman felt the need to contact her with this info out of nowhere. My friend is also a relatively new christian- maybe 5 years in the faith, and so she was going back and forth in her mind about it, seeing as though the lady who contacted her has been a christian her whole life.

Aerynne 02-22-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daina (Post 6069146)
Idk. I don't think so. Today I was talking to a friend who was telling me that a pastor's wife from HI was contacting her, sending her a video about spanking which basically was the same philosophy as the Pearl's. The guy wasn't teaching the pearl stuff, but it was the same premise- "you need to start spanking young(as young as 6 months) and spank A LOT- as much as 15 times a day. If a child is still resistant/rebellious, you need more intense disciplining sessions. If they still don't respond, tag team between parents. This is the problem with the USA today- christians aren't doing this. If you don't do it this way, you are a neglectful and hateful parent." My friend was wrestling with it- the fact that this woman felt the need to contact her with this info out of nowhere. My friend is also a relatively new christian- maybe 5 years in the faith, and so she was going back and forth in her mind about it, seeing as though the lady who contacted her has been a christian her whole life.

Strange. Well I am thankful to have been shielded from it, then. :) My church is all about gentle discipline.

daina 02-22-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6069147)
Strange. Well I am thankful to have been shielded from it, then. :) My church is all about gentle discipline.

I've basically faced and met people in leadership in every church I've been to who kind of hold this view.

RealLifeMama 02-22-2017 12:41 PM

I just want to point out that SACH is not the same as the Pearls!!!

Aerynne 02-22-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daina (Post 6069148)
I've basically faced and met people in leadership in every church I've been to who kind of hold this view.

In what regions?

daina 02-22-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6069157)
In what regions?

Hawaii, Arizona, Florida... IBCs, SBCs, missional churches...

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6069154)
I just want to point out that SACH is not the same as the Pearls!!!

Oh yeah! You're right! Duh! I was bringing up the deep errors of the pearl's teachings which I hear repeated by Christians accross the board,but even still SACH was also taught in the Mom's groups of these churches and given to me at my baby shower. (Sorry if this post is totally out of place)