Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   fennel really does work! in lentil recipe (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=487580)

believer 08-12-2013 01:40 PM

fennel really does work! in lentil recipe

I have problems digesting beans and lentils. I have soaked them, rinsed them, and cooked them with kombu, skimmed the foam and done everything I have heard of to help, but still get gas from anything other than a very small amount of beans, lentils, hummus etc...
I have often cooked with fennel, but in smaller amounts than this recipe called for.
I made Lentil and Mushroom Tagine from the Whole Foods Market Cookbook. I did not follow the recipe exactly - I usually never follow recipes exactly - but it called for 2 cups of lentils and 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds. I did soak the lentils overnight because I had to be at work at 6 am so I cut up the veggies and put them with the seasoning and some water and the rinsed lentils in the fridge for dh to just put in the crockpot in the morning along with the veggie broth and can of tomatoes.
I have a mortar and pestle (got it cheap at Ross a few months ago and I love it) so I crushed the fennel some and that soaked overnight with it.
The lentil stew or tagine (whatever that means) was fantastic - and I had no tummy trouble:).
I thought it was a lot of fennel to use and you could definitely taste the fennel, but it was yummy and easy on the tummy.
Just though I would share that in case other people may want to try it.

ShangriLewis 08-14-2013 03:06 PM

Interesting. I have also been told to chew on fennel seeds before. I think it is popular in India. Maybe try that.

I always get so sad when people can't eat beans. I know some people use beans for awhile and eventually don't need it.

Have you tired Papaya at all? I hate Papaya. But the caps worked well with pregnancy Indigestion.

believer 08-14-2013 03:35 PM

Re: fennel really does work! in lentil recipe

I have not heard of that. I am cooking black beans today. I soaked them for two days - because I had stuff going on and could not cook them yesterday. I rinsed them and replaced the soaking water quite a few times yesterday. When I picked up the bowl today to rinse again, bubbles came up. Then when I boiled them, there was no foam to skim. :shrug3
I am cooking them with fennel. I will see how they turn out.

ArmsOfLove 08-14-2013 03:58 PM

Re: fennel really does work! in lentil recipe

I may have to try this! I do beans fine, if they are white, but the red ones and lentils tend to make me rumbly in the tumbly like Pooh :shifty