Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   buttercream frosting question (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523316)

esperanza 07-13-2017 07:28 PM

buttercream frosting question

I'm planning on making this frosting:
https://rosebakes.com/cream-cheese-b...ream-frosting/

Can I make it the day before I need to frost the cake?
I'm not actually going to do any fancy decorating other than just straight frosting.
Do you think it will be ok if I skip the Crisco? I don't have any nor do I have anything like it. I'm open to another similar crisco-less recipe if anyone has one. I do have cream cheese (yum!).

mamaKristin 07-13-2017 08:17 PM

Re: buttercream frosting question

I have made lots of similar buttercream without crisco. Crisco just helps keep it counter-top stable, and reduces melting.

esperanza 07-13-2017 08:19 PM

Can I make it the day before and refrigerate it? I would feel better knowing it turned out rather than wait until the last minute!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 07-13-2017 10:25 PM

I usually make buttercream the same day and use. But if you intend to refrigerate your creation probably good. I once did a cake the day before and didn't and it started melting on a hottish day.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Love_Is_Patient 07-13-2017 10:35 PM

The frosting will probably be too stiff to spread straight from the fridge, be sure to pull it out to soften a couple of hours ahead of time.

greengirl19 07-14-2017 01:57 PM

I've made ahead of time, refrigerated, and then let it come to almost room temperature before beating it well and using. Works great! Do make sure to cover it well in the fridge, it could be something that would easily pick up fridge smells, yuck!

Soliloquy 07-14-2017 02:57 PM

You will have to bake and frost the cake the day before and refrigerate it. The Crisco helps keep it from melting at room temp. You can substitute butter, I would think. Spectrum makes organic shortening.

esperanza 07-14-2017 03:03 PM

I can bake the cake tomorrow and frost it tomorrow though too, right? I ended up not making the frosting today, and I think I'll just plan on doing it early enough tomorrow that I will have enough time to re-do it if necessary.
I used to have Spectrum shortening but it went bad. I hardly ever use it, so I'd rather not buy it if not needed. Already made a last minute grocery store run today for more powdered sugar.
Probably should have done the whole thing today, but no fridge space and too late now since ds really wants to help. Fingers crossed it turns out tomorrow!!

ViolaMum 07-14-2017 03:53 PM

Spectrum shortening went bad? Was it rancid? Yikes! I try to have some in the pantry because I use it occasionally for pastry and I've had opened tubs for months. How old was yours?

I do a lot of baking. That sort of frosting should be just fine in the fridge, just be prepared to give it time to soften. You might possibly need to re-beat it for a minute or two before you frost the cake, but it should work just fine. You can bake cake layers ahead of time, too. Just wrap well to keep it from absorbing fridge flavors. You can even punch up the flavor of your cake by brushing it with a liqueur (Grand Marnier, or Bailey's, etc) or a flavored simple syrup (like lemon).

You should be able to freeze leftover frosting, too. (I have a couple different frostings in the deep freeze right now. I actually have a whole shelf dedicated to baking - frosting, extra cake layers, cake trimmings, cookie dough :shifty )

esperanza 07-14-2017 04:12 PM

Yes, it was rancid. But really old. Probably more like years than months. ;) Yuck.

I am turning a layer cake into a sheet cake. So much easier and ds doesn't care about fancy cakes. Thank goodness. I can appreciate them but not create them!

Quiteria 07-14-2017 04:58 PM

Make sure the cake is fully cooled before trying to frost it.

ViolaMum 07-14-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6095506)
Yes, it was rancid. But really old. Probably more like years than months. ;) Yuck.

I am turning a layer cake into a sheet cake. So much easier and ds doesn't care about fancy cakes. Thank goodness. I can appreciate them but not create them!

:phew I go through it a little faster than that. I don't have to worry just yet.

Sheet cakes are great. I hope he loves his cake!

esperanza 07-14-2017 06:02 PM

I'm a little nervous trying a new cake recipe. He is obsessed with strawberries and the color red and really wanted a strawberry cake for his birthday party. We did a strawberry cake last year too, but a different recipe. I appreciate all the tips!!