Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   "Under Loving Command" (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=436204)

rjy9343 01-12-2012 04:21 AM

Re: "Under Loving Command"

I am willing to get on board with the idea that we train our children because I think that train and teach are more or less semantics. I have taught Ivy that I will always come when she calls. I have trained Ivy to believe that I will come when she calls. I have taught Ivy that she must comply, with or with out my help. I have trained Ivy to comply with or without help. I really think that training has a icky connotation because punitive parenting is all about training for first time obedience and keeping kids in their place. But we have trained our children how our home works and (in theory) to obey the house rules. But we are not using force in the sense that we are hurting or threatening our children. Ivy will comply with the rules, end of story. But how we gain her compliance looks different from punitive parents. For example Ivy is not to get into my wallet. If I forget to put my purse out of her reach, then I simply remind her to leave my wallet alone and ask her for it. If she will not give it to me, I take it from her and give her something that is okay for her to open and take apart. I don't hit her hand or tell her she is being bad or anything like that. Ivy is not supposed to climb into the book shelf. We have a door on it that we thought would keep her out of it. :roll When she gets into it, we pull her away and play with her. If we see her go for it, we give her the option of walking away from it without our help. If she chooses our help, then we take her away from it.
But I am not willing to get on board with the idea that I must use the rod to train or teach her. I don't like it when I hear that she runs things or that she rules the roost. A couple of nights ago, my husband's ceo remarked that she is the ruler of our home. I responded that as her spokeswoman, I had a list of requirements for the next place we live and named them.:shifty (A town with a large number of gcms may have been named).I did hear another reference to hickory tea or other ick that or the next night.

CelticJourney 01-12-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjy9343 (Post 4396728)
I am willing to get on board with the idea that we train our children because I think that train and teach are more or less semantics. .....
But I am not willing to get on board with the idea that I must use the rod to train or teach her. ......

While in essence I possibly agree with you - it's semantics - but in realiaty words have meaning beyond their dictionary foundation. Within this community, the word 'train' has baggage placed on it by Pearl, Ezzo and their ike to mean things that teach don't. I could see where the situation might have been reversed - if the puniitive oppressors of children had taken a 'I'll teach them to ever hesitate to obey with a thick rod' - but they didn't. If you were to say here at GCM or in the mainstream Christian world beyond: 'I train my child to do x' then there is a socially tied connotation to that word choice that says 'I train my child to do x, and I punish him if he does not'. What we mean and what is culturally understood are not always the same.

The closest comparison I have is the word 'comrad'. In essence it means friend, companion. Socially, it's tied to communism and oppression.

rjy9343 01-12-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 4396809)
While in essence I possibly agree with you - it's semantics - but in realiaty words have meaning beyond their dictionary foundation. Within this community, the word 'train' has baggage placed on it by Pearl, Ezzo and their ike to mean things that teach don't. I could see where the situation might have been reversed - if the puniitive oppressors of children had taken a 'I'll teach them to ever hesitate to obey with a thick rod' - but they didn't. If you were to say here at GCM or in the mainstream Christian world beyond: 'I train my child to do x' then there is a socially tied connotation to that word choice that says 'I train my child to do x, and I punish him if he does not'. What we mean and what is culturally understood are not always the same.

The closest comparison I have is the word 'comrad'. In essence it means friend, companion. Socially, it's tied to communism and oppression.

I completely agree with you. I don't use train in the child rearing sense because it has been warped into something that it is not. Not unlike discipline which is another word I don't like to use for the same reason. (But that could just be my baggage). Just as I taught Ivy to trust me, I could also say that Ivy has been disciplined to trust me. But that makes me feel sick just typing it. I threw out the train/teach words to high light how it has been twisted. I hope that intent was clear and not taken to mean that I was defending them somehow.

CelticJourney 01-12-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjy9343 (Post 4396857)
I completely agree with you. I don't use train in the child rearing sense because it has been warped into something that it is not. Not unlike discipline which is another word I don't like to use for the same reason. (But that could just be my baggage). Just as I taught Ivy to trust me, I could also say that Ivy has been disciplined to trust me. But that makes me feel sick just typing it. I threw out the train/teach words to high light how it has been twisted. I hope that intent was clear and not taken to mean that I was defending them somehow.

:noNo, no...knew you weren't defending them. My point was more the 'unofficial' and often 'unspoken' meanings that come with some words. I suppose because sometimes we have had new posters come here and use perfectly normal terminology without knowing that they are setting alarm bells off left and right, so it's just something I am more aware of.:shrug3

NewLeaf 01-12-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

After that the Lord gave us the grace to use the rod whenever our son did not obey.
Nice. :sick2

katiekind 01-13-2012 04:35 PM

Yes, NewLeaf, that sentence makes no logical sense. What kind of grace punishes every offense?

kbchavez 01-19-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekind (Post 4400694)
Yes, NewLeaf, that sentence makes no logical sense. What kind of grace punishes every offense?

That sentence makes me think of the parable where the man who is forgiven a great debt goes and (assaults?) someone who owes him a much lesser amount. It's as though the parents ,like the man in the parable are saying, "Whoopee! I've been spared the punishment I deserve, so now I'm free to go pass judgment on you and mete out what YOU deserve.". Instead of being humbled by the grace and passing it on. It's just so icky, IMO.

Hermana Linda 01-19-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbchavez (Post 4412884)
That sentence makes me think of the parable where the man who is forgiven a great debt goes and (assaults?) someone who owes him a much lesser amount. It's as though the parents ,like the man in the parable are saying, "Whoopee! I've been spared the punishment I deserve, so now I'm free to go pass judgment on you and mete out what YOU deserve.". Instead of being humbled by the grace and passing it on. It's just so icky, IMO.

:up You hit the nail on the head. :yes

saturnfire16 01-19-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammaof3 (Post 4394506)
:jawdropI can not even believe this happens.......I swatted my daughters hand and sobbed right along with her, I apologized, but I still felt like such a failure:( I can not even fathom how people can think that this is what God wants. How could that even come to mind.....Do these mothers get beat by their husbands too???

Unfortunately in some circles, yes. :( It's called Christian Domestic Discipline and the husbands literally spank the wives. :sick

rjy9343 01-19-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnfire16 (Post 4413298)
Unfortunately in some circles, yes. :( It's called Christian Domestic Discipline and the husbands literally spank the wives. :sick

A lot of the language you read in literature like this is also in Christian Domestic Discipline literature as well. :sick Reading it was heart breaking and nauseating at the same time.

kbchavez 01-19-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Yikes! What circles are those? I've learned of a lot of sick stuff that goes on in some churches here on GCM, but I didn't know about this! I guess I shouldn't be surprised though... There's probably some who still believe there's nothing wrong with slavery, either...

Beautiful Chaos 01-19-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

:jawdrop WOW,that is such a distorted view

Hermana Linda 01-19-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjy9343 (Post 4413399)
A lot of the language you read in literature like this is also in Christian Domestic Discipline literature as well. :sick Reading it was heart breaking and nauseating at the same time.

:yes2 An example is the Spencer Plan. :sick

HomeWithMyBabies 01-19-2012 06:35 PM

I've never seen this before. How messed up!

I just got to the part where they are talking about how they will continue to use the "rod" on their daughter as a teenager. :sick

It's still hard to accept that people actually live like this. :cry

Beautiful Chaos 01-19-2012 06:51 PM

"3.--A spanking must never be administered in anger. Wait until both parties are calm and it can be carried out properly."
SERIOUSLY?!?!!? The issue is OVER why spank when the issue is OVER :blue
I am not saying spanking in anger is ok, but when it is over...